BS Excuses

Options
I mean, Barely Sensible Excuses.

So I'm at the gym, about to do my regular yoga class. This lady comes out of another class to tell our instructor that she can't stay for the yoga class because of her dog. (This is the fourth time I've heard the same woman tell the same story, to the same teacher) it's an old story by now. And of course I have sympathy! Being the owner of two geriatric cats myself, I understand fully. But then! After our hour of yoga, I see this same lady walking the track! If you don't want to do a class, don't! But why the lame excuses?

We all have our bad days, sick, busy, etc. But come on, no one wants to hear your sob stories. Do it or don't.

So give it to me, your best/worst excuses, either ones you've heard, or ones you've made (whether they were based in reality or not!)

Replies

• robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good about working out, but I'm the queen of bad excuses for overeating - "I'll just eat a little bit extra and make up for it later," "It's silly to just leave a little bit on the plate!," "But I never get to eat those oatmeal raisin cookies - I should eat all I can now!,"
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    My worst excuse is that I don't want to get sweaty. So I won't do anything in the heat, or any intense cardio. So I'm basically half-a$ing any workout I do.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Why are you eavesdropping on people's conversations? Why do you care? Did it impact your workout in any way?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Haha! What entertainment! I'm pretty honest with myself. If i dont feel like it, I call it a rest day or schlep on out.

Why are you eavesdropping on people's conversations? Why do you care? Did it impact your workout in any way?

There's a fair chance this was not a private conversation. No need to get defensive. I've overhead some crazy stuff in public. It happens. I'm hyper-aware of people and what they are up too (bad childhood, or personally, idk).
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    On Wednesday one of the ladies from the gym's aerobic class came to me and told me to join them. I told her that I have my own program centered around weight lifting. She kept nagging and said that "I could never lift weights, it doesn't help your fitness like aerobics does."

I was at this same gym a year ago, at that time, this same class was also going on, and many of the same people are there, including this woman, after a year, they look exactly the same even though the goal of most of them was to become slimmer.

I know how you look also depends on diet and not just exercise. But the fact that she was putting down my weight lifting because she prefers a 30 minute aerobic class 3 times a week, to my hour lifting 4 days a week, that was an excuse to me.

And I answered her very directly by saying: "Weight lifting doesn't make you fit? I wonder why, after a year in your class, you still look the same, or are you just too lazy to make a real effort?". She turned around and walked away and hasn't bothered me since.

I normally don't stand up like this for myself. But when someone comes to me and is all like "Oh my routine is better than yours blah blah" then I'll get offensive.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I normally don't stand up like this for myself. But when someone comes to me and is all like "Oh my routine is better than yours blah blah" then I'll get offensive.

Oh... Plus hormones. Do not irritate me on shark week.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Maybe her husband signed her up for something she does not enjoy doing. :(

I am one those that I am old enough to not care too much what others do. I am not sure why another person's exercise or joining in on the class really matters to be honest.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options

Yes it matters because most classes have limited availability and someone else could have taken that class!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Shadowmf023 I bet that woman is seriously rethinking each and every step of her routine. You did her a favour. I wouldn't be surprised if she wanders in and does some weights now.

I have no other option but to use this one small public pool. There are groups of women that gather and stand around talking, occasionally bouncing up and down, one woman actually had her coffee with her. They crowd up the pool and make it impossible for those of us who want to swim. I'd like to hear their barely sensible excuses.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    So, she skipped stretching for cardio?

The horror...
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Western society has an ingrained problem with finger-pointing and playing the blame game, instead of solving problems. As such, a lot of people have readymade excuses for everything, including the most trivial of stuff.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    So this woman was already coming from doing one class, then did additional stuff at the gym, and that's her making excuses? Am I missing something? Sounds like she is already spending more time at the gym than I do.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    ponycyndi wrote: »
    This lady comes out of another class to tell our instructor that she can't stay for the yoga class because of her dog. ...But then! After our hour of yoga, I see this same lady walking the track! If you don't want to do a class, don't! But why the lame excuses?

What? It sounds like she went home, took care of her dog, and was super dedicated to her fitness and came back to the gym even though she missed her class.

Not sure how you think she's lame. Did you go with her to help her with the dog? Was the dog faking it?
  • ScotsLass78
    ScotsLass78 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Oh I was a master at the rubbish excuses :lol: Made a bad choice on a Wednesday? May as well start fresh again on Monday, there's nothing like a fresh start, right? Or it's the weekend and drink has been taken. Time to start fresh again on Monday! Oh, what Zumba's tonight? This tonight? Ah, well you see I've got *undetermined* pain so it's probably best I miss this one out.

People could have called me out on any one of my rubbish excuses and it wouldn't have made any difference. At the time, I was happy telling myself those lies.