Highest calorie burning exercise

Options

Replies

• CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - it's Midday here (and it's stopped raining) so I am off out for a 30 minute brisk walk!
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Cycling is pretty high!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    eliptical (crosstrainer machine) I cand do a 40min weight loss program and burn between 400-600 depending on which of the programs I choose. The Machine at least the one I have also has you punch in your age , weight so that you can get a more accuate # of cal. burned.

Also Love zumba
  • Hixena
    Hixena Posts: 24
    Options
    Claire Nasirs Boot Camp DVD - four 20 minute sections working on different areas of the body, combines interval and resistance training. Each 20 minute sections burns 250-300 cals. The full 80mins workout burns over a 1000cals!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Claire Nasirs Boot Camp DVD - four 20 minute sections working on different areas of the body, combines interval and resistance training. Each 20 minute sections burns 250-300 cals. The full 80mins workout burns over a 1000cals!

Interesting - a few people have suggested this, I'll look into this - thanks!
  • neyes67
    neyes67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Desirai, I Love that Totally Tall Woman banner ...had to steal it:flowerforyou: ... lol! IT ROCKS!:glasses:
  • neyes67
    neyes67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Also it's not the type of exercise that burns more calories its the size of the individual person and the intensity and effort you put into the workout. As when i would do 30 day shred level 1 i was only burning 180-190 calories i was putting all my effort in, where as some people where burning 300-500 calories in the 20 minutes.

Exactly.

I burn 500 to 650 calories in my Zumba class. I have classmates that burn close to 1000. I'm more in shape and even though my intensity is high my body doesn't allow me to burn as many calories as the others.

Love the Totally Tall Woman banner ...had to steal it ... lol! IT ROCKS!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    This is just a genereal question....

What exercise burn the most calories?

I see people burning 500-1000 (and beyond) PER DAY??

What are people doing to burn these kind of cals?
    In a word....SPINNING! By far the most bang for your buck. My body is used to it like breathing and I can still burn between 600-700 calories in an hour class, or 450-500 in a 45 minute class. I attribute most of my weight loss to it. :-)
  • Chiqui74
    Chiqui74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Running I think burns the most. Spinning is close behind (at least for me). I burn about 80 calories per (running) mile so in an easy hour's run, I burn about 500. I run 4 days a week, anywhere from 4 to 13 miles, that's a lot of calories. When I ride, I ride anywhere from 25 to 60 miles. A 25 mile easy ride burns about 550 calories and I do that in about an hour and a half. On my long group rides, depending on the distance (up to 57 miles or so), i burn between 1500 and 2300 calories. That takes us a few hours with some stops. So yes, the key to calorie burn is cardio. Your weight and level of fitness also matter. Heavier people burn more calories and the calorie burn decreases as they lose weight and become more efficient.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Hiking burns A LOT of calories, and the more hills the better! I went on a 2 hour hike a few weeks ago that blasted about 1000 calories!
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I've heard spinning is the best.

Have to say I'm sceptical of some of the very high burns reported though - 1000 calories for a Zumba or a Jam class - nah, highly unlikely in my opinion.

For me (I'm a small, reasonably fit female) my burn rates are approximately:
    Running - 600 calories an hour
    Body Attack - 450 calories an hour
    Calisthenics - 400 calories an hour
    Body Step - 400 calories an hour
    Body Combat - 380 calories an hour
    Body Jam - 300 calories an hour
    Zumba - 280 calories an hour
    Body Pump - 280 calories an hour
    Body Balance - 250 calories an hour
  • doo1963
    doo1963 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    If you are already near your goal weight you won't lose the amount of calories someone with 200lbs to lose will no matter what you do, also as your fitness levels improve you'll find it harder to burn.

I used to be able to burn 600 - 800 calories in a session if I really pushed, now I am lucky to get 300 - 400 for the same sort of thing!

I can vouch for this. It gets a little frustrating when you read about the "500 - 1000" calories burns that people are getting. The better shape you are in the longer it takes (and harder you have to work) to get your heart rate up.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Two things make me burn the most:

Walking on the treadmill at a high incline without holding on.. that shoots my heart rate right up there and in 45 min, I burned like 500 calories.

The other is my personal trainer.. it's easy to quit or go easy on your self, but when you have someone pushing you and telling you to keep going, you want to show them that yes you can do this and you're not going to quit.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories you burn is all dependent on how much you weigh. I know that the smaller I get, the less calories I will burn during my workouts.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Scientists rate the intensity of exercise according to METs, or metabolic equivalents. The cutoff line between "moderate" and "vigorous" exercise is 6 METs, or the point at which your body is using six times as much energy as it would at rest. Serious strength training is considered a 6-MET activity, as is cross-country hiking, doubles tennis, and heavy duty construction or landscaping work.

It's not particularly useful to think of exercise in terms of categories such as "cardio" or "weight lifting." It makes more sense to look at the total amount of exercise you get in relation to the amount of effort it takes to perform that exercise.

Here's a list that gives you an idea of the average estimated effort involved in some popular activities. Remember that two people doing the same workout, playing the same sport, or taking the same exercise class might put in different levels of effort.

Stretching/Hatha yoga = 2.5 METs per hour
    Walking 3.5mph, level surface = 3.8 METs per hour
    Bicycling, 10-11.9mph = 6 METs per hour
    Basketball (full court, game conditions) = 8 METs per hour
    Bicycling, 12-13.9mph = 8 METs per hour
    Running, 5mph (12-minute miles) = 8 METs per hour
    Swimming laps (freestyle, 50 yards per minute) = 8 METs per hour
    Tennis (singles) = 8 METs per hour
    Mountain biking = 8.5 METs per hour
    Racquetball (game) = 10 METs per hour
    Running, 6.7mph (9-minute miles) = 11 METs
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I get my high burn on doing step aerobics. There's just something about it that I can do harder than running.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Skipping rope.
  • Chiqui74
    Chiqui74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It also depends on how you are calculating the calories burned. Plugging in a time and weight on a website is wildly inaccurate and nearly always overestimates by a whole lot. A heart rate monitor is really the best way, IMO.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Walking burns the least amount of calories for me. I can walk for an hour and only burn about 400 that's at 3.5 MPH. And I weigh 245.

I've burned the most calories with spinning Or mowing my yard with my push mower.

Walking up hill 15 incline on the treadmill at 3 MPH, burns a ton but I can't breath or last an hour.

Circuit training also burns calories fast, or HIIT.

I use a POLAR HRM for all my calorie burns.
  • lildevil968
    lildevil968 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I go hiking on the weekends. Depending on the length of the trail, hills, and how much I carry on my back I can burn anywhere from 1,000- 2,500 calories.