Squats and discomfort in shoulder area?

Options
Hi folks.

Just started SL5x5 last week, taking it from empty bar and up. It's going well (even though I know I can manage quite a bit higher weight, but I'm forcing myself to be a 'by-the-book' student on this).

One thing: when I do squats, I'm finding some discomfort where the bar rests across my shoulder/neck area. It's not major and there's no bruising, but then the weights are still <30Kg total and I worry that as these increase I'm going to start making a mess of my shoulder/neck.

I'm guessing it's either a technique thing OR a question of just getting used to it. If it's the former, what might I be doing wrong. And the latter, any tips to offset the discomfort?

Replies

• julielh72
    julielh72 Posts: 92 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Try squeezing your shoulder blades together to form a better pad for the bar to sit on. Don't have the bar too high. Is there a coach to check your form?
  • Keira08
    Keira08 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You can get a foam pad that wraps around the bar (if you're in a gym they should provide them) but I find them too thick so I wrap a small gym towel around it
  • jtcedinburgh
    jtcedinburgh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    julielh72 wrote: »
    Try squeezing your shoulder blades together to form a better pad for the bar to sit on. Don't have the bar too high. Is there a coach to check your form?
    Afraid not. I just use the mirror, which isn't ideal but it's what I've got...

• selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Or perhaps (I could be wrong but it could be some of the factors below);

You need to strengthen your upper body (shoulders/chest)
    your upper form is wrong, you might be slouching somewhat to make the bar abit more comfortable. Are you as upright and hold your shoulders down and back as much as possible?

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Do not use a foam pad. Your traps are a naturally built in pad. Try positioning the bar in a different area, there's both high and low bar squats. Also, make sure you're not actually pulling the bar down into your back during the movement. Also work on developing your traps and rhomboids in order to increase muscle mass in the area.
  • julielh72
    julielh72 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    julielh72 wrote: »
    Afraid not. I just use the mirror, which isn't ideal but it's what I've got...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2b8UdqmlFs
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    If you've never done barbell squats, the honest answer is you just have to suck it up. Even if your bar position is correct, it will feel uncomfortable when you first start. Eventually it feels natural even when you have 300+ lbs.
  • OfficialDSXIII
    OfficialDSXIII Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    There are actually a lot of things that could be causing the issue. Could be hand positioning, bar position, bar path, or just general form. I had trouble when starting out too and still don't feel like I have it perfect yet, but it's getting there.

I recommend checking out omarisuf on YouTube because he has a very descriptive squatting video. It's like 2 hours long though.
  • jakeycork
    jakeycork Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing them. You get used to it.

Don't use a pad!!!

Srs though as posted above, Layne Norton does 1 good video.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Squeeze your shoulder blades / traps together, and rest the bar on that. Do not rest the bar on your bone / spine!!

Look at this olympic gold medalist rest 550lbs on his traps, not spine. Obviously his are bigger than yours, but the idea is the same.
  • megcorey
    megcorey Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thers a pad you can get to wrap the bar,it should get better as you build muscle thatll pad tjat area
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with using a foam pad? Is it any different for men vs women? I can't imagine doing squats without it. I have a big thick one and I find when I do squats at the gym (where there is a pad but it's thin) I'm miserable. How is this different than, say, bike shorts? I can't cycle for long without the extra padding in my bike shorts either.
  • BigJes37
    BigJes37 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Or don't do squats. There are many exercises that work legs also.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with using a foam pad?

It puts the bar in a different position - which makes you alter your form and makes the bar less stable. With the pad, you probably won't realize if the bar is in a particularly bad spot until the weight gets much heavier.

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with using a foam pad? Is it any different for men vs women? I can't imagine doing squats without it. I have a big thick one and I find when I do squats at the gym (where there is a pad but it's thin) I'm miserable. How is this different than, say, bike shorts? I can't cycle for long without the extra padding in my bike shorts either.

Because it's 100% unnecessary and you really don't want another layer of material between your body and the bar at higher weights.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

Honestly, I find the pad to be unstable. I feel like I have to work harder to make sure the bar doesn't roll down my back. Suck it up for a while, and eventually your traps will toughen up.
  • conpapp
    conpapp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sounds from the description that the bar may be higher on your back, close to your neck. SL5x5 calls for low bar squats. What you want to do is get your hands as close to together as possible and push your elbows back. This creates a shelf between the scapula and traps for the bar to rest on. There are many videos on youtube that will show good squat form. Check out Mark Rippetoe and Allan Thral.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    conpapp wrote: »
    Sounds from the description that the bar may be higher on your back, close to your neck. SL5x5 calls for low bar squats. What you want to do is get your hands as close to together as possible and push your elbows back. This creates a shelf between the scapula and traps for the bar to rest on. There are many videos on youtube that will show good squat form. Check out Mark Rippetoe and Allan Thral.

I second this. He's awesome...
    eta- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs_Ej32IYgo
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    FWIW, doing squats w/a bar plus heavy weights across your back is simply uncomfortable. All the "adjustment" in bar, arm and/or shoulder position in the world will NOT make it much better, especially when you're squatting over 200 lbs (90kg).

There are only 3 things that can make it "feel" better:

1) a thick dense foam pad which cushions the bar but also raises the center of gravity
    which in turn may cause balance problems and does not change the point of pressure on the neck/shoulders;

2) the Manta Ray, which is a hard plastic accessory that provides a stable platform on which the bar can rest on your shoulders and that distributes the pressure of the weight of the bar more widely across the shoulders; and

3) a fully padded safety squat yoke bar which transfers the weight slightly forward but makes lifting really heavy weight about as comfortable as possible.

I've got all 3.

The foam pad is the cheapest and will deform and degrade quickly under heavy weight. All of them except the thickest and most expensive are junk and if you get a really thick one you run into center of gravity and balance issues.

The safety squat yoke bar is the BEST but it costs around $400 plus shipping and tax, where applicable. I've got the one made by eliteFTS that I got for only $240 off of Craigslist. I do all off my squatting w/it, unless I'm too lazy to lift the 60# 8 ft long monster out of the bar rack.

In that case, I just use the Manta Ray which only costs about $45. Forget about the foam pads which cost as much or more. It's absolutely the best and most affordable thing you can buy to make your squatting more comfortable and it small and light enough to throw into your bag when you go to the gym. No need to use the scuzzy gross beat up pads often found there.

BUT don't be decieved!!! DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, buy any of the cheap, soft foam knock offs of the Manta Ray sold on eBay, Amazon and elsewhete on the Net.

Only buy the TM'd blue hard plastic Manta Ray. It's the hard plastic that distributes the weight better across the shoulders and makes the product so durable.

Happy squatting! :)

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I also found this info on squaters shoulder helpful.
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/squatters-shoulder-the-cause-amp-the-cure