Calling all Hunters/Gatherers

Options

Replies

• nojuicejustjin
    nojuicejustjin Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    arleban wrote: »

Nope. I know a lot that hunt for the meat. I don't hunt, but it's mainly because I'm a city boy that never gets the chance. I have had some amazing venison dishes and some deer jerky that has put anything store bought to shame.

You're part of few. And well said! The taste is incomparable
  • nojuicejustjin
    Options
    Rottified wrote: »
    This will be my first season going. I'm pretty excited.
    My dad has already filled one bear tag.

Enjoy the experience!
  • nojuicejustjin
    Options
    Finally a thread!

Haha yes!
  • nojuicejustjin
    Options
    I too use a bear compound. After a couple minor tunes it has been amazing to shoot.

We should do a little competition with our bows lol
  • kylecoleman112
    kylecoleman112 Posts: 21 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I too use a bear compound. After a couple minor tunes it has been amazing to shoot.

We should do a little competition with our bows lol

Lol that would be a humbling mistake for you, just joking I'm not very good. I only been shooting bows for a couple years.
  • nojuicejustjin
    Options

Lol that would be a humbling mistake for you, just joking I'm not very good. I only been shooting bows for a couple years.

Lol I'll probably lose but a little friendly competition can't hurt :tongue:
  • Bucknutz247
    Bucknutz247 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Ohh yeah. Nothing like knowing where exactly your protein is coming from.pretty much all I like to eat is wild game. We need more lady hunters and fisherwoman
  • nojuicejustjin
    Options
    Ohh yeah. Nothing like knowing where exactly your protein is coming from.pretty much all I like to eat is wild game. We need more lady hunters and fisherwoman

Agreed! Most women find it "gross" lol but I have my handful of women that can handle it
  • Icheatonmywife
    Icheatonmywife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Nothing like pulling a heart out of an animal while its still warm..... b)
  • nojuicejustjin
    Options
    Nothing like pulling a heart out of an animal while its still warm..... b)

Lol You saw that 8 year old that had her first kill and bit the heart? The internet just about lost its mind over it. People don't know traditions? They don't know it's a tradition and out of THANKFUL GRATITUDE that takes place? I hate when people judge
  • nojuicejustjin
    Options
    One of mine...Archery is pretty much all I do, occasionally will take out the rifle.

That is a view few can appreciate! Great shot and that bow :heart:
  • hicksjordana
    hicksjordana Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    After I finish a long run or ride in the morning I practice my duck calls on the drive home. It is my happy time.
  • camoballerina91
    camoballerina91 Posts: 257 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I love my Matthew's Mission, and I have my .243 tuned to shoot at almost 300 yards. I will admit I do have quite a few horns on my walls (most are my husbands though), but my husband and I only shoot older/mature bucks, and of course we still keep the meat. We had a bad tornado come through our hunting land a few years ago so we've been taking it easy just trying to get our population back up. This past season we saw more deer in our fields than we had before the tornado hit. We're seeing a lot more younger deer on our cameras, so we're excited about this coming season.

I also turkey hunt but I have yet to actually kill one, but I've gotten close. Squirrel are a bit easier, especially if you've got a good dog. My husband and I are thinking about going hog hunting this year, that way we can bring our own pork to the processor for sausage, we're still doing our research though and looking for the right areas.

Plus my husband and I also grow most our veggies during the spring and summer. We can and freeze (including meat of course) what we don't eat and continue to enjoy it until the next year.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I don't hunt but I do love venison! Bear is quite good too.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    kate141987 wrote: »
    I apologise if I came across as being judgemental, the majority of hunting stories iv read about have been trophy hunting and it absolutely disgusts me plus the fact I love animals and am passionate about animal welfare. Also iv just started becoming vegetarian lol

So anything about animals can get my blood boiling, plus I don't know anything about hunting my reply was genuine I don't understand how anyone can kill and gut an animal, but I do realise now it's perhaps part of tradition and you can enjoy completely free range meat, instead of meat from caged animals which is obviously better.

I still feel kinda bad for the animals...but I'm not judging you, il leave you's to enjoy your hunting :smile:

your openness is appreciated. :)
  • Bucknutz247
    Bucknutz247 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    No worries Kate. A lot of people are not educated about hunting.most hunters are ethical and humane
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Been a subsistence hunter for 30 years. Also raise hogs, and cattle, butcher them myself. and I have a 1 acre garden.