Those who need help cutting sweets & carbs!!

If someone is in the same situation as me, let me know so we can stick together to cut out sweets & carbs. This is affecting me from achieving my weight loss goals! I'm very active, but need help with the eating.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    If someone is in the same situation as me, let me know so we can stick together to cut out sweets & carbs. This is affecting me from achieving my weight loss goals!

You don't need to eliminate carbs to lose weight. I don't think any dietician would recommend that. :+1:
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    you can try LCHF. Its working for me. check out dietdoctor.com
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Like was said above, make sure you are eating healthy fats, protein, and your carbs should be coming from vegetables. Some days suck and you will REALLY want to cheat. I have found those are the days that happen right as my body is burning fat again. Stick with it. It gets easier with time.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I can understand that you can cut out sweets (it's not necessary for everybody, but at least it's possible) - but carbs? How, and why?
  • silverfiend
    I can understand that you can cut out sweets (it's not necessary for everybody, but at least it's possible) - but carbs? How, and why?

Simple.... How: stop eating things made from wheat, corn, potatoes, sugar, etc. (simple answer)
    Why: because most people eat WAAAAAAY too many BAD carbs.

Want the longer answer? Our bodies aren't meant to eat huge amounts of the horribly processed garbage we eat on a daily basis. Carbs aren't bad, processed carbs are. Sugar is the worst and your body treats it like a drug. Read nutritional labels and see how much of that junk has been added. Eat real food instead. Whole grains, vegetables, meat, healthy fats.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Simple.... How: stop eating things made from wheat, corn, potatoes, sugar, etc. (simple answer)

Want the longer answer? Our bodies aren't meant to eat huge amounts of the horribly processed garbage we eat on a daily basis. Carbs aren't bad, processed carbs are. Sugar is the worst and your body treats it like a drug. Read nutritional labels and see how much of that junk has been added. Eat real food instead. Whole grains, vegetables, meat, healthy fats.

This isn't actually responsive to the question, which was "how can you cut OUT carbs?"

I think OP meant "cut down on," and that is indeed easy, and there might be reason to do it if having a lower carb diet helped with satiety, but as you yourself said carbs aren't really the issue (neither are "processed" carbs which include plain cottage cheese, dried and canned beans, steel cut oats, frozen veg, bagged spinach and baby cut carrots, whole grains, etc.).* Many people overeat and would benefit from cutting down on sweets, and I think that's a smart thing to do, but I wouldn't describe that (or cutting down on chips, fries, pizza, fast food) as cutting out carbs -- it's cutting down on carbs and fat from "junk" food or the like, since most of that stuff is as much fat as carbs. Nutrition types generally believe that the SAD (which may or may not be relevant to anyone -- I certainly don't assume that others are eating it, and I know kommodevaran is not) contains too few vegetables and fruits (mostly carbs, both), and too many carbs and too much fat from lower nutrient sources. IMO, this means that macros (beyond getting adequate protein and essential fat, which you'd have to work to avoid) is largely irrelevant, and what matters much more is what foods we choose within the macros. And that also means if lower carb is pleasant for you or easier to sustain, go for it!

*Ironically, they don't include many of the things you mentioned. I have a CSA and have lots of potatoes and corn, currently, and have purchased oats from the green market as well on occasion. My great great great (I don't remember, would have to check) grandfather had the first mill in his Iowa county, so he processed the grains himself (yeah, we generally don't eat wheat without processing it) -- in that other forms of processing seem to get a pass if you do it yourself, was it okay for him to eat wheat? Or still unhealthy, since "processed carbs"?
  • hendersonc765
    hendersonc765 Posts: 23 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    When I do the following, I don't have cravings for sweets:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated
    When I do the following, I don't have cravings for sweets:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated

Yes those are all great points that I'll need to focus on. I do most of the above, but really need to find more protein sources to keep me full throughout the day.

I've never heard of taking magnesium either. I'm definitely going to try that because my cravings are worse when it comes to that time of the month!
  • hendersonc765
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    Cutting carbs and replacing them with good fats and proteins works for a lot of people. It does not work for all.

Personally, for me carbs only makes me bloated, sluggish and makes me crave more and more. We're all different.

To the OP, find a way to eat that suits you, that you can stick with long term. That is the secret to success.

Carbs make me feel the same. That's why I need to try slowly cutting them out of my diet. I love breads & pastas, so I feel like that isn't helping with my weight loss goals. I'm slowly trying to cut back per week, but I crave them.
  • hendersonc765

For carbs such as breads & pastas. I love these foods & feel like these are affecting my weight loss. I'm trying to cut back per week, but it's hard for me because they're so quick & easy to make or grab on the go (such as a sandwich or something).
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I have always found it easier to focus on what I want to eat more of (protein and veggies) rather than focus on avoiding something. Maybe that would be easier?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member

Of wheat, corn, potatoes, these ARE whole grains and (starchy) vegetables depending on what form you get them in. I personally have an issue with wheat flour, but not with products made from sprouted grains, and I have no problems with mashed or baked potatoes, or corn on the cob or frozen corn. None of this is "horribly processed."
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member

For carbs such as breads & pastas. I love these foods & feel like these are affecting my weight loss. I'm trying to cut back per week, but it's hard for me because they're so quick & easy to make or grab on the go (such as a sandwich or something).

Bread made from wheat flour makes me sleepy but I am fine with bread made from sprouted grains, such as Ezekial/Food for Life or Alvarado St Bakery. These are usually found in the freezer section of the grocery store, as they have a shorter shelf life.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    Cutting carbs and replacing them with good fats and proteins works for a lot of people. It does not work for all.

Personally, for me carbs only makes me bloated, sluggish and makes me crave more and more. We're all different.

To the OP, find a way to eat that suits you, that you can stick with long term. That is the secret to success.

You see, for me too many carbs make me feel like that as I don't end up getting adequate fats and protein or fiber. When I plan out my food diary, I make sure to add my protein first, then fats and fiber and fill the rest in with carbs. I haven't given up on sugar (I like it) because I have trained myself to moderate and I feel better that way.
  • silverfiend

Of wheat, corn, potatoes, these ARE whole grains and (starchy) vegetables depending on what form you get them in. I personally have an issue with wheat flour, but not with products made from sprouted grains, and I have no problems with mashed or baked potatoes, or corn on the cob or frozen corn. None of this is "horribly processed."

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my earlier post. People seem to be getting hung up on "processed". That doesn't mean "harvested", "cut", "ground", or other traditional methods of preparing. Look at the form of these foods most people are eating. They are chemically processed, bleached, transformed away from the original. they are devoid of real nutrition, just empty carb calories. THOSE processed foods are then used in almost all pre-prepared foods which make up the diets of the majority of people. Know why mcdonalds (and all other fast food) is so cheap and fresh vegetables are so expensive? They are filled ,with empty, processed carbs and fillers.

Grains are fine, potatoes are fine, whole corn is fine, but these arent what people have a problem with. When people say they want help cutting carbs, it's because they typically have diet filled with cookies, cakes, bread, 2 pound baked potatoes with another 1000kC of add-ons, junk food filled with corn and wheat fillers, chips, etc. HAve you ever seen someone say "I want to cut carbs because I eat way to much steel cut oats and fresh vegetables?"

The worst offender in foods is sugar. It's added into almost everything and is the epitome of the phrase "empty calories". Literally, about 90% of everything in the grocery store is off limits if you cannot or do not want excess sugar in your diet.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my earlier post. People seem to be getting hung up on "processed". That doesn't mean "harvested", "cut", "ground", or other traditional methods of preparing. Look at the form of these foods most people are eating. They are chemically processed, bleached, transformed away from the original. they are devoid of real nutrition, just empty carb calories. THOSE processed foods are then used in almost all pre-prepared foods which make up the diets of the majority of people. Know why mcdonalds (and all other fast food) is so cheap and fresh vegetables are so expensive? They are filled ,with empty, processed carbs and fillers.

Grains are fine, potatoes are fine, whole corn is fine, but these arent what people have a problem with. When people say they want help cutting carbs, it's because they typically have diet filled with cookies, cakes, bread, 2 pound baked potatoes with another 1000kC of add-ons, junk food filled with corn and wheat fillers, chips, etc. HAve you ever seen someone say "I want to cut carbs because I eat way to much steel cut oats and fresh vegetables?"

The worst offender in foods is sugar. It's added into almost everything and is the epitome of the phrase "empty calories". Literally, about 90% of everything in the grocery store is off limits if you cannot or do not want excess sugar in your diet.

Sounds like an article out of "The Enquirer".
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    I would suggest checking out these groups, they may not be exactly the same eating style, but you'll probably find some meal ideas that fit with your goals:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133-clean-eating-group