Doubts about 1200cal diet.. :O

Options
I follow a diet mainly consisting on Indian food.I wonder if its okay to exceed 1200cals by 50-100cals once a while..i count everything from a spoon of olive oil to Ketchup..plz help.Thank you

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You might not need to ever eat that low. What is your weight and height?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,148 Member
    Options
    Anything within 100 give or take from your goal is fine. Having said that, are you sure 1200 calories is right for you. 1200 is the minimum for women, and usually when people get that it is because they have set their goal too aggressively. Also realize you are supposed to eat the calories you burn from exercise as well, so on days you exercise you should be eating more.
  • alexis09ard
    alexis09ard Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes its ok to go over just use exercise to balance it all out.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    Options
    Anything within 100 give or take from your goal is fine. Having said that, are you sure 1200 calories is right for you. 1200 is the minimum for women, and usually when people get that it is because they have set their goal too aggressively. Also realize you are supposed to eat the calories you burn from exercise as well, so on days you exercise you should be eating more.

Cosigned.

I'm 5'6" and lose weight on 1500 calories before exercise, and I exercise.
  • nehaghag
    nehaghag Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    weight is approx. 67kgs and height 5.6inchs
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 years old, 5'4" and lose on 1600 calories per day. You might want to recalculate your caloric need.
  • nehaghag
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies..yes i workout 4days a week..without equipments..Squatvaritations, lunges skippings moutain climbs etc...
    If anyone is on a weightloss or fitness journey here..id be glad to be friends :)
  • nehaghag
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Cosigned.

i have always been an active person..sports and all.so its difficult to shed those few pounds..
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,148 Member
    Options
    nehaghag wrote: »

What did you set your weight loss goal at? You are in a healthy weight range for your height, so what are your goals? Anything over half a pound a week would be too aggressive.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    Options
    I follow a diet mainly consisting on Indian food.I wonder if its okay to exceed 1200cals by 50-100cals once a while..i count everything from a spoon of olive oil to Ketchup..plz help.Thank you

How are you getting the caloric value of your food? Are you making it at home and using the recipe builder? Calorie counts can vary widely from one cook to the next.
  • alexpn
    alexpn Posts: 59 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Sorry to butt in, but this is not necessarily the case, you don't have to eat the calories you burn specifically from exercise, it's also a bit dangerous because the calculations for calories burned from certain exercises, apps and gym machines are not consistent.

You should work out your BMR (base metabolic rate) and TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) from your height, weight, general activity levels and age, and then adjust your calorie intake around that to suit either weight loss, maintenance or weight gain - this is the proven most accurate scientific way of doing things.

Something else to bear in mind, is that if you go too hard at reducing calorie intake, it can interfere with your metabolism, so it's best to reduce slowly slowly :wink:
  • RelevantGains
    RelevantGains Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    At 67kg, 1200 is okay, especially if you're eating back your activity. If you're not (I recommend you don't), you'd probably want to raise your calories a bit, maybe to 1400-1500.

But to answer your question, no, it's not a big deal to go a few calories under or over. I try to keep my calories within 50, but if I go 100 or 150 over, the world isn't going to end :)

To put it into perspective, a pound is about 3500 calories. So if you were to go 100 calories over, then that is ~0.013kg that you could have lost, but didn't (that's nothing).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If you are active you should be able to eat more than 1200 calories.
  • nehaghag
    Options

What did you set your weight loss goal at? You are in a healthy weight range for your height, so what are your goals? Anything over half a pound a week would be too aggressive.

M not very fat as such but goal would be around 62..havent weighed myself since i started working out (2 months).i dont loose weight easily..I love rice and dessert.so thats something i want to control
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Cosigned.

i have always been an active person..sports and all.so its difficult to shed those few pounds..

Wait. Wut?
  • nehaghag
    Options
    alexpn wrote: »

Sorry to butt in, but this is not necessarily the case, you don't have to eat the calories you burn specifically from exercise, it's also a bit dangerous because the calculations for calories burned from certain exercises, apps and gym machines are not consistent.

You should work out your BMR (base metabolic rate) and TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) from your height, weight, general activity levels and age, and then adjust your calorie intake around that to suit either weight loss, maintenance or weight gain - this is the proven most accurate scientific way of doing things.

Something else to bear in mind, is that if you go too hard at reducing calorie intake, it can interfere with your metabolism, so it's best to reduce slowly slowly :wink:
    the more weigh..the more BMR will be..how do i know how much cals i need to loose then?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

You should work out your BMR (base metabolic rate) and TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) from your height, weight and age, and adjust your calorie intake around that to suit either weight loss, maintenance or weight gain - this is the proven most accurate scientific way of doing things.

Actually, if a person is using this tool as it is designed they are supposed to. MFP does not factor intended exercise into its calorie goal for a person with the intention that when they exercise they eat those calories (try reading the various stickies about how this tool works). As for calculation of BMR and TDEE MFP does that albeit using a NEAT based formula that does not include intended exercise since often people do not do the exercise they say they will, or do more than they say, hence eating back exercise calories. If a person wants to figure out TDEE that is fine, but it is unnecessary as the MFP approach is based on the same formulas.

Agreed. Both ways are valid and require monitoring and adjustment depending on results.
  • nehaghag
    edited August 2016
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

Cosigned.

Wait. Wut?

whats the doubt>? :P
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options

the more weigh..the more BMR will be..how do i know how much cals i need to loose then?

try this

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/