Options
2»

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    nehaghag wrote: »
    alexpn wrote: »
    Anything within 100 give or take from your goal is fine. Having said that, are you sure 1200 calories is right for you. 1200 is the minimum for women, and usually when people get that it is because they have set their goal too aggressively. Also realize you are supposed to eat the calories you burn from exercise as well, so on days you exercise you should be eating more.

Sorry to butt in, but this is not necessarily the case, you don't have to eat the calories you burn specifically from exercise, it's also a bit dangerous because the calculations for calories burned from certain exercises, apps and gym machines are not consistent.

You should work out your BMR (base metabolic rate) and TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) from your height, weight, general activity levels and age, and then adjust your calorie intake around that to suit either weight loss, maintenance or weight gain - this is the proven most accurate scientific way of doing things.

Something else to bear in mind, is that if you go too hard at reducing calorie intake, it can interfere with your metabolism, so it's best to reduce slowly slowly :wink:
    the more weigh..the more BMR will be..how do i know how much cals i need to loose then?

MFP did this for you when you entered your information. You don't have to do it again.

Far more helpful is making sure your information entered here is correct, and set your goal as .5 pounds per week.

Then make sure your logging is as good as it can be. That means measuring all solids with a digital kitchen scale including those that are ground and grated, an example of that would be your rice, a scale will give a far better measure of how much you are eating than measuring cups. Also, make sure you are logging everything you eat and drink, and that the database entries you are using match the calories of what you are eating since there are regional differences even in similar products.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Many people can efficiently lose weight eating well over 1200 calories...1200 calories is an aggressive weight loss goal.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Anything within 100 give or take from your goal is fine. Having said that, are you sure 1200 calories is right for you. 1200 is the minimum for women, and usually when people get that it is because they have set their goal too aggressively. Also realize you are supposed to eat the calories you burn from exercise as well, so on days you exercise you should be eating more.

Sorry to butt in, but this is not necessarily the case, you don't have to eat the calories you burn specifically from exercise, it's also a bit dangerous because the calculations for calories burned from certain exercises, apps and gym machines are not consistent.

You should work out your BMR (base metabolic rate) and TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) from your height, weight and age, and adjust your calorie intake around that to suit either weight loss, maintenance or weight gain - this is the proven most accurate scientific way of doing things.

Actually, if a person is using this tool as it is designed they are supposed to. MFP does not factor intended exercise into its calorie goal for a person with the intention that when they exercise they eat those calories (try reading the various stickies about how this tool works). As for calculation of BMR and TDEE MFP does that albeit using a NEAT based formula that does not include intended exercise since often people do not do the exercise they say they will, or do more than they say, hence eating back exercise calories. If a person wants to figure out TDEE that is fine, but it is unnecessary as the MFP approach is based on the same formulas.

And, if you figure correctly, both methods will get you to approximately the same numbers when averaged over the week.
  • nehaghag
    nehaghag Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Many people can efficiently lose weight eating well over 1200 calories...1200 calories is an aggressive weight loss goal.

i have been woking out for 2 months now..but end up eating bad junk..Got hammered by my instructor.Hence trying this for a month
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    You might not need to ever eat that low. What is your weight and height?

Cosigned.

I'm 5'6" and lose weight on 1500 calories before exercise, and I exercise.

i have always been an active person..sports and all.so its difficult to shed those few pounds..

Wait. Wut?

whats the doubt>? :P

Here's the doubt: If you're active, you're burning more calories. You have more of a deficit at the same input calorie level and lose weight faster than if you were not active. Therefore, what you said doesn't make sense.

However, if you're active you also can't create a big calorie deficit without having it negatively impact your performance. Plus, people who are active tend to eat more to compensate. So, if your tracking isn't really on point being more active may not help you lose faster.
  • nehaghag
    nehaghag Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    You might not need to ever eat that low. What is your weight and height?

Cosigned.

I'm 5'6" and lose weight on 1500 calories before exercise, and I exercise.

i have always been an active person..sports and all.so its difficult to shed those few pounds..

Wait. Wut?

whats the doubt>? :P

Here's the doubt: If you're active, you're burning more calories. You have more of a deficit at the same input calorie level and lose weight faster than if you were not active. Therefore, what you said doesn't make sense.

However, if you're active you also can't create a big calorie deficit without having it negatively impact your performance. Plus, people who are active tend to eat more to compensate. So, if your tracking isn't really on point being more active may not help you lose faster.

it hasnt even been a week since i started with this diet change..good chance this will show effects since ve cut on sugar and rice..vl havto wait for a month to see..
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options

You should work out your BMR (base metabolic rate) and TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) from your height, weight and age, and adjust your calorie intake around that to suit either weight loss, maintenance or weight gain - this is the proven most accurate scientific way of doing things.

Actually, if a person is using this tool as it is designed they are supposed to. MFP does not factor intended exercise into its calorie goal for a person with the intention that when they exercise they eat those calories (try reading the various stickies about how this tool works). As for calculation of BMR and TDEE MFP does that albeit using a NEAT based formula that does not include intended exercise since often people do not do the exercise they say they will, or do more than they say, hence eating back exercise calories. If a person wants to figure out TDEE that is fine, but it is unnecessary as the MFP approach is based on the same formulas.

And, if you figure correctly, both methods will get you to approximately the same numbers when averaged over the week.

Precisely.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Easiest route:

Set your weight goal and activity level before deliberate exercise on mfp.
    Log your exercise.
    Eat your calorie allowance plus most of your exercise calories.
    After a few weeks, evaluate whether you're losing weight at the 0.5-1lb per week you most likely want.
    Tweak your intake, accordingly.
  • FLBeachluvr
    FLBeachluvr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You should work out your BMR (base metabolic rate) and TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) from your height, weight, general activity levels and age, and then adjust your calorie intake around that to suit either weight loss, maintenance or weight gain - this is the proven most accurate scientific way of doing things.

Question about this-if you base your daily calories on your TDEE then do you not take your exercise calorie credit that MFP gives you into consideration? If I'm understanding correctly if a website like the Scooby calorie counter gave you a daily calorie number based on the personal stats you entered and your activity level would that be what you would eat daily and just turn off the exercise calories option?

• BonnieP824
    BonnieP824 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Mine is 1200 now too, and it's low, but exercise adds more in and I get some exercise every day. I like a higher number goal (1400-1500) but don't actually lose weight on it. :'(
  • FLBeachluvr
    FLBeachluvr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    BonnieP824 wrote: »
    Mine is 1200 now too, and it's low, but exercise adds more in and I get some exercise every day. I like a higher number goal (1400-1500) but don't actually lose weight on it. :'(

That's what I'm finding as well. I really need to stick with the 1200 daily with a little more on the weekends if I exercise more. Otherwise I won't lose.
  • prinkeleta
    prinkeleta Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey same problem here Indian food has a lot of oil and I always gain when it's wedding season it sucks
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    keharty wrote: »

Question about this-if you base your daily calories on your TDEE then do you not take your exercise calorie credit that MFP gives you into consideration? If I'm understanding correctly if a website like the Scooby calorie counter gave you a daily calorie number based on the personal stats you entered and your activity level would that be what you would eat daily and just turn off the exercise calories option?

TDEE takes exercise into account... so you don't have to worry about logging it. It's what I did - switched to TDEE with a 20% deficit after a couple months. Much easier... as long as your exercise routine is somewhat regular.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    keharty wrote: »

Right, if you input a custom calorie goal based on TDEE you wouldn't add exercise to MFP.

I find it easier to just use MFP as designed and not bother with BMR or TDEE.