1200 calories

Options
Hi everyone I've just started my calories back up after having my daughter almost 5 months ago. I will be eating 1200 calories through the week and then off the calorie counting at the weekend and just wandering how it will work? Would I still lose enough weight to do it like that? I know it will be a long process and that's fine. With lots of nights out planned will not be sticking to it at the weekend as will be drinking etc. Anyone else doing anything similar to this and how is it working? Finding being at home all day harder than at work seem to eat more now so had to make a change. Any advice welcome thanks in advance Claire X x

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,234 Member
    Options
    Is 1200 what Myfitnesspal gave you?
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I essentially do that. The weight loss is slower but possible, assuming you don't go too crazy on the weekends & get in some exercise. Weekend exercise is generally more play -- swimming, tennis, etc then full on gym but it still burns calories. I had one really bad day of 3,000 calories & 2 where I was way over 2,000 but I am still losing.
  • Clairebed1983
    Clairebed1983 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great to hear thanks for your reply. I find I'm not eating meals with my family now do you manage to? Some meals I can but where I cannot calorie count I don't. Yeah still want to be able to eat treats and have a drink at the weekend with my partner. How much do you lose each week on average?
  • Clairebed1983
    Options
    I'm not sure what mfp gave me it may be more I have done 1200 calories before and know it is restrictive but it works
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what mfp gave me it may be more I have done 1200 calories before and know it is restrictive but it works

Check your goal with MFP. You may be able to eat more and lose at a healthy rate.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I've just started my calories back up after having my daughter almost 5 months ago. I will be eating 1200 calories through the week and then off the calorie counting at the weekend and just wandering how it will work? Would I still lose enough weight to do it like that? I know it will be a long process and that's fine. With lots of nights out planned will not be sticking to it at the weekend as will be drinking etc. Anyone else doing anything similar to this and how is it working? Finding being at home all day harder than at work seem to eat more now so had to make a change. Any advice welcome thanks in advance Claire X x

Plenty of people zig-zag their calories. I eat (future) maintenance on the weekends, but lower during the week. People question 1200 because it's a default minimum, but you're not eating that way 7 days a week.

You might want to log on the weekends at the start, just to make sure you aren't over doing it. Some people have zero problems switching from low calorie days to higher ones, others (kind of) use it as an excuse to over indulge.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    Great to hear thanks for your reply. I find I'm not eating meals with my family now do you manage to? Some meals I can but where I cannot calorie count I don't. Yeah still want to be able to eat treats and have a drink at the weekend with my partner. How much do you lose each week on average?

Weekly weight loss is going to vary depending on where you are it.

Something like this:
    Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,234 Member
    Options
    I would suggest logging all the time, even if you eat more on weekends, and even if you are guessing at times on calories.
  • Clairebed1983
    Options
    Unsure how to check my goal? It says default 1200? I'm 5ft 6 and weigh 12 stone 3lb
  • TeaBea
    Options
    Unsure how to check my goal? It says default 1200? I'm 5ft 6 and weigh 12 stone 3lb

If you plug your stats into MFP they will give you a daily goal based on 7 days a week. The bottom number is 1200. That number happens when users choose a higher than average weekly weight loss goal, they are elderly, or they are very petite.

2 pounds a week would be very aggressive, you're more like 1 pound a week. But if you are eating more on weekends, you are going to average more than 1200 calories.

To find your maintenance google TDEE calculator. This is the number you definitely don't want to go over on weekends. This will chip away at the deficit you created during the week.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    That will work but you still need to be calorie aware at the weekend as its totally possible to undo all the weeks good eating by over indulging at the weekend and wiping out any calorie deficit made.
  • Clairebed1983
    Options
    1370 is what mfp gave me daily for 1lb per week loss
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

So 171 pounds for us Yanks...

What's your goal weight?
  • TeaBea
    Options

So if you ate 1200 calories Monday thru Friday - that would give you and extra 850 calories to play with between Saturday & Sunday. (1370-1200=170 x 5=850).

Keep in mind MFP is before exercise. So if you are doing anything more than light exercise you can add more. Lots of people shift exercise calories too.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I find I'm not eating meals with my family now do you manage to? Some meals I can but where I cannot calorie count I don't. Yeah still want to be able to eat treats and have a drink at the weekend with my partner. How much do you lose each week on average?

I don't have kids but I do eat with my husband. He eats what I make. Most of the time he just eats more of it.
    The beauty of MFP is that you can eat whatever. You simply learn portion control & balance.

For example, we're going out to dinner tonight. I know the portion will be too large & that like most people I eat with my eyes. Knowing that I will make sure to eat a very small light lunch. I'm having my mid morning snack of a 100 calorie granola bar right now. That will get me through the next few hours & I'll have a yogurt later. Thus I will have "extra" dinner calories available for my larger portion.

On the weekends I do have some alcoholic drinks which are empty calories. I try to balance that by making sure I dance when I drink. I'm usually still over but it's not as bad.

I have been doing this since July 1. To date, I lost 8 pounds so an average of 1 pound per week. It's not bad considering that I am over 1200 calories per day more then I am under & I have gone waaaay over on most weekends.

I figure I have to make this a lifestyle. I'm not one for austerity so never drinking again & never having my favorite foods certainly won't be sustainable for me.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Im your height and 170(gained a few lbs back) and Im losing on 1730 calories(gives me over 1800 for my (set at .5 lbs a week).it gives me 1530 for 1lb a week for lightly active.and 1820 for active. I manually set mine to the 1730. are you setting it to sedentary is that why its giving you 1370?
  • Clairebed1983
    Options
    My ideal weight to start with is 154 and see how I feel and look from there....
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    My ideal weight to start with is 154 and see how I feel and look from there....

With only 17 pounds to lose, a weekly weight loss goal of 0.5 pounds will be the most sustainable plan. Overly aggressive weight loss goals easily lead to burnout or binging.
  • Clairebed1983
    Options
    Yes as I am at home with my daughter most days do try and get out even for a 10 minute walk or cutting the grass but don't add it to mfp