I dont love food, I love junk.

Options
Just kind of wanted to vent about some stuff. Sorry if my thoughts are all over the place.

I (used to) eat when Im sad, when Im anxious, when Im depressed, when Im bored, when Im happy. I was a total and complete emotional eater. And no, I wasnt addicted to just food, I was addicted to crap junk food. I never eat veggies, I barely ate unproccessed meat or foods, I rarely ate fruit or things naturally grown. So what did I eat? Every single day for awhile I had McDonalds (2 burgers, 3 large fries, 1 large coke) sometimes TWICE a day, a large oreo blizzard with extra oreo, 3-4 bottles of coke, candy bars like snickers, a huge bowl of white rice smothered in salt and butter, a large pan tossed pepperonni pizza from Dominos (always finished everything). My health was awful. I felt physically sick all the time. My stomach always hurt, I was always tired, and I always had constant headaches. I couldnt walk up a flight of stairs without being completely out of breath. I could only run for a solid 15 seconds at a time.

I lost 113 pounds. I can run for 30 minutes without stopping. I have added so many nutrional foods to my diet that actually make me feel good. I rarely get headaches, my stomach only hurts when I put something in it that it doesnt like and I have so much more energy its insane. I went from laying on the couch all day, everyday to working out 2-3 times a day (because its my stress reliever and makes me feel good)

Yes, I am so happy I changed my lifestyle, but as crazy as it sounds, sometimes I miss it. Sometimes I miss the junk. Sometimes I miss not worrying about calories or portions. Would I ever go back to that lifestyle? Of course not. Sometimes I just miss it though. But I guess thats just my old, lazy self peeking through since this lifestyle is so much more work.

Its hard to find things to turn to instead of food when Ive always gone to it for my whole life. I feel like Ive switched my junk addiction with a gym addiction.

Its also hard when no one in my life truly understands. I know maybe 3 people who have dieted (and they only had like 10 pounds to lose). No one I know counts calories or understands when I dont want to eat out or go drinking. No one around me fully understands that this isnt just a diet, its a lifestyle change. Im not going to just hit my goal weight and be done, like Ill have to work on this for my entire life, especially with maintaining. People dont get the psycholigical part of all of it and how it can really take a toll on someone.

Replies

• Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Same here, and on this journey, I have also learned to enjoy more nutritional foods.
    For those still struggling, give it time.
    I have actually lost my taste for what once constituted staples of my daily diet...soda, mac and cheese, McD burgers and all sorts of chips, dips and breads galore.
    Veggies? FORGET-ABOUT-IT!
    My diet and health has transformed, and so too have my wants and desires when it comes to food selection.
    People still feeling that draw to unhealthy foods should just seek their own health potential, and let the change happen. It's not a race.
    Congratulations to you...and best of luck to others feeling the mire of the diet quick sand.
    You shall overcome!
    <3
  • MsNika83
    MsNika83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I definitely understand how you feel and going through the same thing. I miss eating junk food at times even when it hurts my stomach. I hate counting calories and making sure I eat smaller portions. I just want to fill my plate up and eat. Even though I like taking zumba classes, sometimes I don't feel like going to the gym. It's a struggle everyday but I hate the way I look and feel. I lost weight before but gain it back with poor habits.

Just know you're not alone. Hang in there.
  • UnicornAmandaPanda
    UnicornAmandaPanda Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Wow good for you!! That is seriously amazing! Yes this is going to be a life long thing for us.. It sucks but we all carry our own bag of rocks and for you and me and many others this is our bag of rocks! It sucks sometimes! I have lost 60 lbs and the psychological aspect of it screws with me too.. I have 20 more I'd like to lose.
  • apwood2424
    apwood2424 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Return2Fit wrote: »
    Same here, and on this journey, I have also learned to enjoy more nutritional foods.
    For those still struggling, give it time.
    I have actually lost my taste for what once constituted staples of my daily diet...soda, mac and cheese, McD burgers and all sorts of chips, dips and breads galore.
    Veggies? FORGET-ABOUT-IT!
    My diet and health has transformed, and so too have my wants and desires when it comes to food selection.
    People still feeling that draw to unhealthy foods should just seek their own health potential, and let the change happen. It's not a race.
    Congratulations to you...and best of luck to others feeling the mire of the diet quick sand.
    You shall overcome!
    <3

Ive definitely learned to enjoy better food, but then comes the struggle of not over doing it on those foods as well lol I used to eat for like a family of 7 so getting used to single sized portions is still a struggle for me. I find something I like and want to eat 50 of them lol
  • apwood2424
    Options
    MsNika83 wrote: »
    I definitely understand how you feel and going through the same thing. I miss eating junk food at times even when it hurts my stomach. I hate counting calories and making sure I eat smaller portions. I just want to fill my plate up and eat. Even though I like taking zumba classes, sometimes I don't feel like going to the gym. It's a struggle everyday but I hate the way I look and feel. I lost weight before but gain it back with poor habits.

Just know you're not alone. Hang in there.

It makes me feel better to know Im not alone :) I love having like an MFP family because people here actually understand what Im going through and it makes a huge difference when people in my real life dont get it. Some days are more difficult than others, but we know what we have to do to succeed and we CAN do it. We just have to continue to change our relationship with food.
  • apwood2424
    Options
    Wow good for you!! That is seriously amazing! Yes this is going to be a life long thing for us.. It sucks but we all carry our own bag of rocks and for you and me and many others this is our bag of rocks! It sucks sometimes! I have lost 60 lbs and the psychological aspect of it screws with me too.. I have 20 more I'd like to lose.

Thank you! Its so weird because when I was 272 I was in such denial of how large I actually was...ever since I lost weight Ive become way more aware of my body so its weird to believe at 159 I look fat but I didnt even think about that at my heaviest weight. The mind is tricky.
  • mel35645
    mel35645 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    i can totally relate I am addicted to sugar and carbs, if you ask my favorite food its sugar filled, unfortunately for me I had been off sugar for 2 years reached my goal weight was eating clean, fell off the wagon (I don't even recall why) and now I can't get back on track. I have heard of people who once they started eating clean were unable to go back to junk food eating, unfortunately that wasn't the case for me
  • apwood2424
    Options
    mel35645 wrote: »
    i can totally relate I am addicted to sugar and carbs, if you ask my favorite food its sugar filled, unfortunately for me I had been off sugar for 2 years reached my goal weight was eating clean, fell off the wagon (I don't even recall why) and now I can't get back on track. I have heard of people who once they started eating clean were unable to go back to junk food eating, unfortunately that wasn't the case for me

Ive been at this for 2 years and I can honestly say I could go back to junk in 2 seconds lol Ive heard of people too who just cant even stand the smell of fast food or anything anymore. Ive definitely noticed when I do eat it, my tummy does hurt, but I can still eat it lol I still love the taste of fast food, of pizza, of white rice, of all the snacks. I struggle everyday because I could easily go back with no problems. Ive fallen off the wagon too after surgery and indulged in all the foods I had kind of put on the back burner, but just know you can get back on track. Just take it a day at a time. Try to make small changes at first. You can do it :) it was hard for me too, but eventually I decided I wanted to reach my goals more than I wanted to indulge. You got this!
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    I'm mentally aware of what the foods I love can do to me, so I don't eat them, I may want them, salivate to have them, and frankly I could buy as much as I want, but I don't. Because one piece will lead to 20. In my heavier days I ate 35 burritos and other days eat 40 pieces of chicken. Or 2 large pizzas. Not because I was actually hungry but I didn't have any control or will power. I do eat some stuff from time to time and it's like I know it's bad, so I exercise a little harder or eat lighter meals the next day or so to balance it out. At one point I was 270lbs. I couldn't breathe tying my shoes. Im far from that now, and that person is long gone.