Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    </thread>
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Hey Kazzy, I haven't tried it, but there is a paleo group which could be a good source of information for you:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group
  • Taliko
    Taliko Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I tried paleo for a few months, once you get past the first week of carb withdraw symptoms (tired/cranky/headache/foggy head) I actually felt extremely well, energized, slept a lot better.
    Ultimately though, I found it unsustainable... Just TOO much time in the kitchen for me. I know a lot of people love it, though!
    I did learn some lovely recipes I still make. Mm, paleo pancakes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I did it for a while and enjoyed it well enough (it wasn't particularly low carb, though). I lost weight at the rate I wanted, but same was true when I stopped doing it since I realized I didn't really have a good reason to cut out dairy and legumes and my main reason re grains was just not to mindlessly eat them/eat them when they weren't worth the calories, which was easy to stop.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    7. My biggest lesson- I don't have to be fanatical. I spent a lot of time and money the first time buying ingredients to make ketchup and homemade mayo. While maybe not awesome for you, store bought mayo will not kill me. Unless someone calls the paleo policeAlso, that just tends to make things tastier, which can lead to me overeating (there's a real pattern here)

Good luck! @kazzykazz If you try it let us know how it goes

Re: #7
    I think this is good advice but it is advice to veer from the Paleo Diet rules, which are pretty fanatical and strict.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    To follow up Need2's point, I agree with the following (for me), but found that doing it had nothing to do with doing paleo or not, which is part of why I don't see the point of paleo:
    1. Eat whole foods

As for:
    4. Rice is not addictive nor does it cause me to overeat, unless topped with Chinese food :D
    8. My biggest lesson- I don't have to be fanatical. I spent a lot of time and money the first time buying ingredients to make ketchup and homemade mayo. While maybe not awesome for you, store bought mayo will not kill me. Unless someone calls the paleo policeAlso, that just tends to make things tastier, which can lead to me overeating (there's a real pattern here)

I wholeheartedly agree (I also, personally, will never overeat pasta, unless for the toppings, bread, or legumes). I didn't do it on paleo, but in the past I was really into "eating naturally" (probably my version of clean eating, although I never used that term) and was really obsessive about making everything myself, not buying packaged, not even buying canned tomatoes out of season or canned beans or dried pasta. It was overkill for my lifestyle. Now I do some of that stuff if the product is actually more to my liking or its fun, but I don't drive myself crazy.

Again, though, this is why I don't see the point of paleo -- cutting out whole grains and rice (I rarely eat it, but I think it's fine) and legumes and dairy weren't necessary. If they react badly for you, cut them out, absolutely, but not because of some theory about what people ate a certain number of years ago (which is likely wrong).
    4. I need to eat less sugar, even "natural" ones. Sugar is not good for me

Cool. Not the case for me, and I'd probably continue to eat the same amount of fruit and sweet potatoes and plantains on paleo as I do now (for some high sugar foods).
    6. Roasted sweet potatoes and butternut squash taste like candy after a while. Seriously, I got some a little dark, and I swear it tasted like a burnt marshmallows, yum!
    7. I will over eat nuts, so only bring to work in portioned out bags.

Agree that roasted sweet potatoes and winter squash are delicious and that I can easily overeat nuts.

Other things I personally like about paleo are the focus on the sourcing of meat, eating more game when available, eating the whole animal. If one is going to eat lots of meat, as many into paleo do, these are good things to think about. Of course, one doesn't have to be paleo to think about them!
  • jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel like it was a good thing to try, if nothing else for some self discovery. As a family we eat more vegetables and less boxed crap as a whole, and it helped me to identify things that contribute to my overeating.
  • jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12 just curious, do you follow a "woe" or are you a IIFYM or something else?

I really would like to be an "everything in moderation girl when I grow up. :)
  • Pattycake755
    Pattycake755 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi my friend!

You know that I am a big believer in crafting your own diet/eating plan because that is the diet YOU can live with. Paleo, like other diet plans, restrict certain foods. I refuse to live without dairy, whole grains, and legumes. Some of the low carb diets have fruit restrictions. I do count carbs, but since I don't consumed cookies, cake, candy, and sugary drinks, fruit is my dessert! I can't live without fruit! My eating plan is a combination of several diets. I'd like to think I took something good from the Paleo diet and many of the other popular ones to craft an eating plan that I can live with for the rest of my life. No need for a maintenance phase or yo-yo dieting. One plan that works!

Best wishes on your research,
    Pattycake755
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I am Paleo roughly 60% of the time.
  • lemurcat12
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @lemurcat12 just curious, do you follow a "woe" or are you a IIFYM or something else?

I really would like to be an "everything in moderation girl when I grow up. :)

I guess I'd say I have a nutrition-conscious flexible diet, since I am into the moderation approach and don't really follow macros other than protein. I have my own personal ideas about how I like to eat that I follow -- focus on getting vegetables and protein at all meals, eating locally and seasonally when possible, mostly cooking from whole foods but not being a stickler if life or my own laziness interferes (and I do like going out to eat if the restaurant or the company is worth it!). I also try different things from time to time (right now trying to cut way back on meat, at least non fish meat).

I enjoyed paleo when I did it, but I realized the things I liked I was doing anyway, or could, and the things I was doing just because paleo (cutting out all grains, legumes, and dairy) weren't really helpful for me or things I would recommend in general.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I try to eat mostly "paleo." I've found that when I stick to meat/fish, veggies, fruit, and natural sugars (like fruit sugars and honey) that I feel better. I have more energy, no bloating, no heartburn, no upset stomach, etc. When I eat a lot of simple carbs like white sugar and bread, or if I eat greasy things, I don't feel as good physically or mentally, and my clothes won't fit as well- even if I'm still losing weight!!! I do believe in "everything in moderation" but I have an extremely hard time moderating. My mind likes to justify things, and I end up stressed out trying to figure out things like "Can I have that ice cream? Did I earn it? Just one scoop, or two? What if I go for a walk first, or eat salad for dinner?" The simplicity of paleo "rules" cuts out the debate, and actually decreases my stress levels as a result.

That being said, I now make exceptions. I'll drink on weekends, or order whatever I want if I'm eating out (which is rare), and I'll splurge if we have a get-together with friends. But during the week, and for most weekend meals, I stick to the foods that make me feel good- that happens to be pretty much paleo. While it may be too strict for some people, I appreciate the simplicity, have enjoyed finding new recipes, and I feel so much better that it's something I actually WANT to follow.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Fruits are simple carbs, too.

And aren't a lot of fruits off limits with Paleo? I thought they were...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I like that paleo gets people to focus on whole foods...I dislike how it then turns around and makes certain whole foods off limits. I could never do it...I love legumes and they are a core staple of my diet...but apparently they're "bad"...I think they're an excellent source of quality nutrition.
    Taliko wrote: »
    I tried paleo for a few months, once you get past the first week of carb withdraw symptoms (tired/cranky/headache/foggy head) I actually felt extremely well, energized, slept a lot better.
    Ultimately though, I found it unsustainable... Just TOO much time in the kitchen for me. I know a lot of people love it, though!
    I did learn some lovely recipes I still make. Mm, paleo pancakes.

Paleo isn't low carb unless you want it to be.
  • Moxie42
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Fruits are simple carbs, too.

And aren't a lot of fruits off limits with Paleo? I thought they were...

Ah, you're right about fruit being a simple carb, which is probably why some paleo "diets" don't allow certain fruits, or they significantly limit it. I think at this point "paleo" has come to mean different things to different people. For me personally, I cut out alcohol, grains, legumes, dairy, and sugar (except fruit) 100% for a month. I loved how I felt so much. Afterwards, I went back to "everything in moderation." I stuck to my cal limit and continued to lose weight, but my wedding ring and jeans felt tighter, and I started getting heartburn again. I didn't have as much energy either and getting up in the morning was rough.

So now I eat meat/fish, veggies, fruit, eggs, and use honey and dates as sweeteners. I limit cheese but do include a little sprinkle of it on salads or in certain recipes- but I don't put it on everything like I used to, and I rarely make a cheese-heavy recipe. I eat legumes too because my body doesn't seem to have any issues with those, not that I can tell anyway. Everything else I try to keep to special occasions, with a little extra flexibility on weekends so I can have some wine :)

I guess you could say I did a strict paleo thing for a while and now follow a "mostly paleo" plan that's been adapted based on how I've found I react (both physically and mentally) to certain foods.
  • Moxie42
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I like that paleo gets people to focus on whole foods...I dislike how it then turns around and makes certain whole foods off limits. I could never do it...I love legumes and they are a core staple of my diet...but apparently they're "bad"...I think they're an excellent source of quality nutrition.

Exactly. I'm glad I did a strict paleo thing for a while because I felt so amazing afterwards, and I feel like I can now better trust my body to tell me when I'm making decisions that aren't good for me- I feel the difference. Some people have sensitivities to legumes, but I don't, so I still eat them. On the other hand, dairy sets my allergies off. That doesn't mean dairy is evil but for me personally, it's something I've learned I should limit. I think paleo can be a great learning tool, and can help develop healthy habits, but I agree- to be so hardcode about it that whole foods like legumes and fruit are considered "bad" is not healthy.

• Pattycake755
    Pattycake755 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Kazzy,
    Moxie42 is right. Paleo has come to mean different things to different people. Please see the link I shared above regarding the Paleo Diet. Starchy vegetables like squash, white potatoes, beets, and sweet potatoes are forbidden. Most fruit are acceptable, but you are told to limit your intake if you want to lose weight. Everyone on Paleo is not trying to lose weight. Paleo is a lifestyle for some.

Here is an excerpt of a quick reference guide:

EAT

Grass-fed meats
    Fish/seafood
    Fresh fruits
    Fresh vegetables
    Eggs
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Healthy oils (olive, walnut, flaxseed, macadamia, avocado, coconut)

DON’T EAT

Cereal grains
    Legumes (including peanuts)
    Dairy
    Refined sugar
    Potatoes
    Processed foods
    Overly salty foods
    Refined vegetable oils
    Candy/junk/processed food