Am I overtraining?

Options

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    As someone old enough to be your mom, I'm more concerned with your mental state than with your overtraining. I hope you'll consider sharing these feelings with your doctor.
  • callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    sarahjen92 wrote: »
    Go to the gym six times a week for about 2.5 hours each session. I've recently started feeling physically shot after every workout like chronic fatigue, aching like mad, irritability (the slightest thing annoys me) and just a negative outlook on life, my body and my health. I've had all tests possible and everything is fine except high creatinine levels which was attributed to my low body fat and have also increases caloric intake to 3800 a day and increasing my sodium in the hope I wasn't getting enough energy or replenishing my electrolytes but nothing has worked. I thought that my depression and anxiety may cause this but I'm currently getting counselling and my physical state has got worse. Do you recommend taking a week off? The only reason why I don't want to atm is because I have nothing to do during the day as I'm a student and it's summer so the gym is the only time I get out

Get a job? Being a student is not a career nor an employment. Since you've said that you have nothing to do, I don't understand the concept of NOT having a job...especially when you're 21. That's a little scary to be perfectly honest. I would ask how you can even afford to go to the gym or school...but I think I know the answer.

I have a job, I work 6pm-10pm in weekday evenings and 6pm-1am Friday and saturday
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    If you know you are at risk for overtraining, feed your adrenal glands - licorice root (assuming normal or low blood pressure) or nervous fatigue tcm (if high blood pressure)...also eat lots of foods that will feed your adrenals, coconut, olives, avocado, nuts, cruciferous vegetables, etc.

I have over 100g fats a day so I get coconut oil, avocado and nuts quite easily
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    You're doing far too much. I gained muscle all the way to "advanced" levels in all my lifts just training 3x per week, and not any ridiculous amounts of volume (Wendler 5/3/1 program). If OCD prevents you from scaling back then you need to seek professional help because you're harming yourself.

what did you do for the rest of the other 4 days, do you not feel guilty just spending 3x a week in the gym?
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    As someone old enough to be your mom, I'm more concerned with your mental state than with your overtraining. I hope you'll consider sharing these feelings with your doctor.

I have a counsellor but no meeting tomorrow, I've emailed him to see if hes available online until next week
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    so about an hour and half is adequate? why can some do the same amount of exercise as me and feel good and normal. How much exercise do all you guys do and how many times a week?

It doesn't matter what we do....

I was away Thursday/ Friday/saturday, I ate and drank loads and didn't do my usual workouts, do I feel bad at all? not in the slightest... you have said that you've had 2 rest days and feel stressed and fat and guilty... YOU need to do what's right for you, and stop saying 'other people do it so it's ok'. When are you next seeing your therapist?

You see I would nearly breakdown ifI did that. I'll be seeing him next monday today's was cancelled due to a bank holiday but in really needed it today

I would see someone sooner if I was you
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    From what dude to another, I really hope you get your mental stuff worked out.

There are a lot of people who would pay good money to be in the sub 10% BF range as you look to be. In the most manly way possible, you look great and I wish you could see that as well.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    You're doing far too much. I gained muscle all the way to "advanced" levels in all my lifts just training 3x per week, and not any ridiculous amounts of volume (Wendler 5/3/1 program). If OCD prevents you from scaling back then you need to seek professional help because you're harming yourself.

what did you do for the rest of the other 4 days, do you not feel guilty just spending 3x a week in the gym?

Working out 3 x a week is a completely normal and acceptable number of workouts without any guilt or bad feelings.
  • julesloveland
    julesloveland Posts: 93 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Callum hon, what most people here are saying is that they don't feel guilty, the guilt is part of the OCD and anxiety. You've had loads of great advice - pretty much saying the same thing, take a break, scale back and talk to your therapist. Even being on this website is feeding your anxieties. If you really are feeling restless then go for a walk, watch a movie, see some friends, read a book (not about fitness), do some DIY, play computer games, Skype an old mate, go to the pub, make something, paint something, meditate, pray, see your GP, volunteer for a local charity, whatever...but just take a wee break from the workouts until you can speak to your therapist about in next Monday. You have the power to choose something different. If you stay on this thread you are going to drive yourself nuts. Take it from someone who not only had clinical anxiety for years but is also a trained counsellor. Take a break, lovely, that's the best way to look after yourself right now. Then, with your therapists support, look at what your workout and eating program could look like after your break.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

There are a lot of people who would pay good money to be in the sub 10% BF range as you look to be. In the most manly way possible, you look great and I wish you could see that as well.

but would they take the feeling absolute chit along with it? thanks for the support and I appreciate it coming from another lifter. I feel I look fat and that's pretty disturbing considering I weigh only 147 pounds yet I have this bit of skin/fat on the bottom of my abs n102f4tlcmv9.jpg
  • callumwalker1995
    Options

Callum hon, what most people here are saying is that they don't feel guilty, the guilt is part of the OCD and anxiety. You've had loads of great advice - pretty much saying the same thing, take a break, scale back and talk to your therapist. Even being on this website is feeding your anxieties. If you really are feeling restless then go for a walk, watch a movie, see some friends, read a book (not about fitness), do some DIY, play computer games, Skype an old mate, go to the pub, make something, paint something, meditate, pray, see your GP, volunteer for a local charity, whatever...but just take a wee break from the workouts until you can speak to your therapist about in next Monday. You have the power to choose something different. If you stay on this thread you are going to drive yourself nuts. Take it from someone who not only had clinical anxiety for years but is also a trained counsellor. Take a break, lovely, that's the best way to look after yourself right now. Then, with your therapists support, look at what your workout and eating program could look like after your break.

I went for a walk with my mum today to try to get out of the house and I still felt absolutely horrendous, I felt so fatigued still and felt like I could hardly move one leg in front of the other
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    Overtraining is real however the likelihood of anyone actually overtraining isn't. Even with 2.5 hours a day which the run down of what you were doing could be a case of you needing more food to fuel the energy your expending. I would either hire a professional or do the math yourself and figure out how many calories you are burning from your workouts and make sure you are fueling those needs properly. Would I suggest you cutting your workouts to something less strenuous? Yes I would. Like someone else pointed out there is no reason to work out like that unless your a top level athlete.

I have a fitbit charge hr and my average calorie burn is around 3000 calories and I eat 3800 so I should be putting on weight unless the fitbit is wrong.

One im not sure how accurate fitbit is for calorie tracking. No that's not how that works if your burning 3000 calories and eat 3800 your are actually at an insane deficit. That means 800 calories is what your body is using for its daily needs. Which makes the your not eating enough thing stand as why you may be moody. Lets say my calories to maintain my weight is 2200, now if im burning 3000 calories I need to eat 5200 calories just to maintain.

I don't understand, if I'm burning 3000 yet eating 3800 I'm in a surplus and should therefore put on weight?
  • TavistockToad
    Options

but would they take the feeling absolute chit along with it? thanks for the support and I appreciate it coming from another lifter. I feel I look fat and that's pretty disturbing considering I weigh only 147 pounds yet I have this bit of skin/fat on the bottom of my abs n102f4tlcmv9.jpg

Everything single person in the world has wrinkled up skin when they bend forward like that...
  • callumwalker1995
    Options

Everything single person in the world has wrinkled up skin when they bend forward like that...

it makes me feel sick when I do it\ and it sticks out of my shirt
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

<<Hugs>> You look fine!
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

<<Hugs>> You look fine!

no matter what anyone says I wont believe them :(
  • AnabolicMind2011
    AnabolicMind2011 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Last I saw you were going to log off and work on your mental issues

Overtraining is part of your ocd, like the over analysis and concentration on minutiae

Go compound 3 x a week and get your mental health sorted

This 100%

Op most of these people commenting mean well but haven't read all your other threads
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    likxfqh9qkxa901.jpg

like all I see here is the fat at the bottom of my abs, this is me tensing btw
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    And I see very little if any fat in that picture. Do you have an "Adonis Belt"?
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    And I see very little if any fat in that picture. Do you have an "Adonis Belt"?

whats that mate?