Help, if you've been here

Options
2»

Replies

• BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Just brutally honest. People who search for outside help to help them with weight loss motivation will never find it... it has to come from inside. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

I mean, gosh, it took me over 10 years to be ready to make the change. It only ended working when I REALLY wanted it... more than eating the food.

Most people who struggle to stay on a weight loss program know what to do to lose weight--they just don't do it. To get a person to start (or restart), he/she either needs a strong enough fear--or a strong enough desire--to sway their decisionmaking, day by day, until their diet/exercise plan becomes their routine.

Unfortunately (and I believe this is a softer way to say exactly what Francl27 means to say), an online forum cannot effectively give OP the desire or fear he needs to drive a successful weight loss campaign. All we have are words and an occasional meme, which just can't play to emotions strongly enough to have the necessary effect. This is where online weight loss communities fall short.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I saw 199 last week. Dang. I hope to see it again, soon. I've stayed on the program and everything.
  • goldrl8
    goldrl8 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I don't ever comment in boards, but your post made me think of me. I would say the past 8-10 years I've not only been trying to overcome losing weight, but fighting and finding solutions to binge eating. This past winter was my all time worst with it, and I gained about 30 lbs in the span of three months (which fortunately, I've gotten off fully at this point). And right now I've successfully gone through the past four months or so without slipping back into the old binge habits once. I will tell you this, I tried Nutrisystem for one month. I think I lost 7 lbs that month which was less than I expected. I'm not at all trying to promote or speak against Nutrisystem, but my point in bringing it up is that it definitely changed my thinking and got me off the habit of binge-ing. With the program, you eat a dessert or post-dinner snack every night that's usually 100-150 calories. When I chronically diet it usually means I fully eliminate everything bad for me. Until, that is, I get a craving and say, eat about 2000-4000 calories of raw cookie dough, or a pint of ice cream with a pack of cookies on the side... I have dessert probably at least 5 nights a week now - usually 100 calories each time. I buy either weight watchers brownies, fiber one cookies/brownies, or skinny cow frozen ice cream treats. And for me, that keeps dessert cravings at bay. I don't know what foods are your trigger foods, but if they're sweets, I'd definitely suggest trying this method.

I think something that really helped me is also recognizing that there are some foods I simply don't eat responsibly, and I won't bring them in the house. I can't eat just one slice of pizza - so I don't order pizza. If I have ice cream in the house, I will eat it til it's gone. So I only buy individually wrapped ice cream treats (as for some reason, I don't binge on individually-wrapped things). I think we operate under this mentality that we are so strong and we can overcome our temptations and conquer our cravings etc etc. Maybe that's true. But I find that recognizing my weaknesses, and not putting myself in situations where I'm forced to test them is very helpful to me. I hope that helps a bit!
  • KylerJaye
    KylerJaye Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Long term motivation is a common problem, but the solution is usually very personal. So, what do you really want to get healthy for and can you break that down into smaller steps or some kind of little reward that will get you motivated today? I'm using Halloween as my motivation...not sure what kind of guy costumes would require getting into better shape than you are today, but if you like Halloween that might be one to get you through the next couple months...then there's looking nice for the winter holidays...or looking nice for holiday parties...and then it's new year so of course it's time to be super motivated and start the new year off right...then beach time is right around the corner...for me, I just keep shifting from one goal to the next...sexy costume, new party dress, new bikini, whatever I possibly can come up with to just give me that 1-6 month goal window to really focus on and strive toward.

that's an awesome idea :)
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    ^^ These are wonderful thoughts - just going to throw out there for we "older" folks (that would be me for sure) - trying to look a certain way for something doesn't cut it anymore. Gone passed in our lives are the 10 year, 20 year, 30 year and well heck, 40 year reunions. Gone are the parties where we want to look "sexy". Sexy at my age is anything that doesn't show my jiggle in my wiggle ;) . Motivation may be that our blood pressure is much lower, our diabetes is under control, we can walk those 5 miles or lift those heavy (for us) weights. Our motivation is being able to not only See our grand kids, but run around the yard with them and bike ride and swim.

I use this motivation when I am struggling (constantly) with staying on track and not sliding back into those old habits. I Can run up that flight of stairs at work (not retired quite yet); I Can go to the Dr and not need to stand backward to not see the scale; I Can face old friends I've not seen in a while and still smile that they can't believe what I have accomplished; I Can run/walk that 5K, 10K, 1/2 marathon where I couldn't even walk 1/8 mile before.
    I CAN eat healthy to sleep better, breathe better, walk better. That is my motivation. Look in the mirror and be your own inspiration - because you CAN.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    My story, began in February 2015 at 330 lbs. with blood pressure and diabetic issues. Losing from 330 to about 200 lbs was, for lack of a better word, easy. I had no problems staying on my eating plan, avoiding restaurants, and keeping my workout schedule. Hit the 199 mark in April of 2016 and ever since then...oh boy. I have struggled to avoid overeating and binge eating and here lately I have gotten lazy on my exercise routine.
    I know that I feel better when I eat properly and have more energy when I exercise, but I am currently struggling with both. My weight has gone from 200 up to 230 lbs.
    Looking for those who have made it successfully through similar struggles, please give me tips and advice to help me.

Sure, I've hit One-derland several times, gotten complacent, and the weight crept back up. I am flirting with the 180s these days. I just keep logging.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I've been up and down again a few times although I'm proud to say that I have never gone all the way back to where I was, I can still understand what you're going through.

Just saying "this week I'm going to get back to it" didn't work for me. I had to actually re-commit to logging, start making weekly meals again and pre-recording my food. I had to force my butt out of bed to the gym and stop saying 'next week'. Take it one step at a time like a beginner, start logging again. start weighing again. Just start ;)
  • michael_jordan7
    michael_jordan7 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    goldrl8 wrote: »
    Hey there,

I don't ever comment in boards, but your post made me think of me. I would say the past 8-10 years I've not only been trying to overcome losing weight, but fighting and finding solutions to binge eating. This past winter was my all time worst with it, and I gained about 30 lbs in the span of three months (which fortunately, I've gotten off fully at this point). And right now I've successfully gone through the past four months or so without slipping back into the old binge habits once. I will tell you this, I tried Nutrisystem for one month. I think I lost 7 lbs that month which was less than I expected. I'm not at all trying to promote or speak against Nutrisystem, but my point in bringing it up is that it definitely changed my thinking and got me off the habit of binge-ing. With the program, you eat a dessert or post-dinner snack every night that's usually 100-150 calories. When I chronically diet it usually means I fully eliminate everything bad for me. Until, that is, I get a craving and say, eat about 2000-4000 calories of raw cookie dough, or a pint of ice cream with a pack of cookies on the side... I have dessert probably at least 5 nights a week now - usually 100 calories each time. I buy either weight watchers brownies, fiber one cookies/brownies, or skinny cow frozen ice cream treats. And for me, that keeps dessert cravings at bay. I don't know what foods are your trigger foods, but if they're sweets, I'd definitely suggest trying this method.

I think something that really helped me is also recognizing that there are some foods I simply don't eat responsibly, and I won't bring them in the house. I can't eat just one slice of pizza - so I don't order pizza. If I have ice cream in the house, I will eat it til it's gone. So I only buy individually wrapped ice cream treats (as for some reason, I don't binge on individually-wrapped things). I think we operate under this mentality that we are so strong and we can overcome our temptations and conquer our cravings etc etc. Maybe that's true. But I find that recognizing my weaknesses, and not putting myself in situations where I'm forced to test them is very helpful to me. I hope that helps a bit!

I don't think Nutrisystem would be work for me, but I DO like the idea of building a treat of some kind into each day, maybe as a reward - if I eat well and do my planned exercise today, then I can have an ice cream sandwich for dessert. I think I am going to give it a try, and yes I have had to learn that I can't eat pizza "in moderation", that just won't happen for me, so I have to avoid it, same for me with any kind of buffet, if I go in the door, I am going to overeat. I have learned a lot about myself through this process and I continue to learn every day.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    KylerJaye wrote: »
    KylerJaye wrote: »
    Stop being lazy and just do it. There are no tips... it has to come from you.

That's hysterical coming from YOU...

Huh? I'm probably the least lazy person I know, lol...
    Stop being lazy and just do it. There are no tips... it has to come from you.

You are a ton of help.

Just brutally honest. People who search for outside help to help them with weight loss motivation will never find it... it has to come from inside. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

I mean, gosh, it took me over 10 years to be ready to make the change. It only ended working when I REALLY wanted it... more than eating the food.

the least lazy person you know....also the whiniest, most miserable and hypocritical person as well....

Think you nailed it there...
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Hi. I hit my goal and then screwed up and gained 15 pounds. I am struggling to get it off. I know its my eating habits and trying to make better choices.