Healthy, meat free meals?

Options
2»

Replies

• saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Check out minimalistbaker.com the meals are AMAZING and as a general rule they contain 10 ingredients or less and take 30 minutes or less. All vegetarian, most vegan.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    We eat mostly vegetarian dinners. Even the vegetarians among our household eat eggs/dairy so it's not very restrictive, the only thing most people are giving up are cows, chickens, pigs, and fish, kind of a short list when it comes to food. It leaves almost all the foods in the diet.

Some of our staples:

Indian food
    Mexican food
    All sorts of beans and rice dishes
    Chili
    Pasta
    Breakfast for dinner
    Thai coconut curry (no fish sauce if veggie daughter is making it)

And veggie girls cheat on:
    Ramen Night

because the one we love has beef bone broth, but pretty sure you could easily work up a veg version.

Basically, any soup, rice dish, pasta dish, potato dish, you can just leave out the meat and there you go.
  • theaspicioway
    theaspicioway Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cube up some halloumi and gently fry til brown. Mix in crushed garlic and balsamic vineger, then add in 1/2 tin chickpea, 1/2 tin lentils, and 1/2 tin butter beans. Great fibre, really filling and the balsamic adds a nice flavour to it. Another option is cut out the halloumi and throw in tuna chunks or prawns
  • GothamVeggie
    GothamVeggie Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My favorite vegetarian recipe site of all time is Cookie and Kate. She just posted 20 simple weeknight dinners.

Here's one of my go to simple recipes that is super healthy & delicious.

Fagioli in agrodolce (Tangy White Bean Stew)

Ingredients
    • 2 cans cannellini or butter beans (rinsed)
    • 28 oz good crushed tomatoes (w basil preferably)
    • 1 large sprig rosemary (chopped)
    • 1 medium onion (chopped fine)
    • 1 Cubanelle pepper or a somewhat mild chili pepper (chopped fine)
    • 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (far tastier if you get a good quality one - "grape must" as the only ingredient or the 1st ingredient)
    • 2 cups vegetable stock (stock is tastier than broth)
    • olive oil

Directions
    1. Saute the onions with the rosemary and pepper in a soup pot using a little olive oil.
    2. When the onions are translucent, but not yet brown, add the tomatoes and vinegar.
    3. Cook for 10 minutes.
    4. Add the beans, the vegetable broth and salt to taste.
    5. Cook for a further 20 minutes on low heat, stirring frequently.

Really nice leftovers as the flavor only deepens over time. It can also be frozen.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    ^Definitely going to try this Tangy White Bean Stew. I LOVE having delicious vegetarian soups in my freezer! It makes life so much easier.