Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    Last holiday we had in the US I was impressed by the American smiles: There were lots of very straight, white teeth around.

I think in part is is because of spending more money on dentistry and that, compared to Brits, The Yanks are more tanned and the contrast highlights their teeth more.

I don't think that it is due to the British not looking after their teeth as well (as in not flossing, brushing etc), in fact that the high quality of my daughter's teeth (due to good brushing) went against her when trying to get braces:
    • The orthodontist decided that she didn't qualify for braces because her crooked teeth were not causing hygiene problems.
    • Our dentist said that she had a lack of hygiene problems because she regularly brushed and flossed!

Yes, too much brushing also seems to be a problem.

I'd like to know what the common toothpaste in America is? Does it contain Fluoride and SLS?

There is no common toothpaste, but some of the big brands are Crest and Colgate. All of them have fluoride and the majority are Dentist Association Certified. But here's the thing, they put fluoride in the drinking water. So that's a big reason people have healthy teeth here. Also, we have to pay for our dentists and usually go every 6 months for a cleaning. Alot of health insurance polices help with this.

Yep Crest and Colgate are big brands here too.
    We have Fluoride amongst other chemicals in our water too.

Actually most Americans are pretty terrible at this. They assume something that is pretty much standard in Western countries (like Flouride in the water) is uniquely American. And they seem not to realize that those countries also enjoy many benefits they don't get (maternity leave, free health care etc). I guess living in a bubble has advantages and disadvantages?

Im starting to think this isnt their fault.

Media, corporations and governments have turned it into one big bubble whereby the nation is only aware of whats going on around them and have almost no awareness of the rest of the world.
    It doesnt help they are not free to have independent thought and they are finely tuned to be patriotic irrespective of how criminal and crook like their leaders are.
    Sheeples.

Have you seen the thread where a girl is asking about why Americans have an alarmingly high obesity rate and why they are obsessed with processed food as opposed to healthy nutritious food? Something along those lines but she also explained her knowledge isnt thorough and she wants people to educate her as opposed to reading stereotypes. Well if you saw the reaction and how everyone started attacking in defense and denying the actual problem - it just validates our beliefs further.
    The odds are stacked against us Americans for healthy food choices. America is the birth place of Monsanto and GMO'S. There is even a bill here signed by our President protecting companies saying they don't have to label products containing GMO's, they put harmful chemicals in our foods that they remove when sending to other countries that have them banned. Lots and lots of research is needed to find out what all these ingredients really ate....only to be linked to another article that rebukes it "because of science" and then another article linked to explain how other countries ban GMOs or must be labeled. Its one big mind f@ck here. Our food is disgustingly, dangerously unhealthy, full of harmful chemicals.

Check again. Are you sure you're not already dead from all those chemicals? I died years ago because GMO hormones made their way through my tinfoil hat during my alien abduction vivisection. That little alien grey headed nurse was kinda hot though, and she flashed quite the fluoride laden smile before dispatching me with a vaccine. I'm pretty sure it was the reaction with gluten that finally killed me though.

Sigh. Believe what you want. It's fact GMO's are banned in other countries and or they must be labeled except in America. After the Haiti earthquake Monsanto sent them seeds. The Haitians burned them, they were starving but would have rather starved than plant Monsanto GMO seeds which would have ruined their soil. Those are facts. Are they all crazy too? Its okay, you are free to eat and believe whatever you want. Just like I am free to research and come to my own decisions about what I eat.
    Just like smoking didn't cause cancer back in the day, you were crazy to think so, because Science said it was safe. Now look at what they say about smoking.

I'll stick with peer reviewed studies. For those who care for evidence this link contains information on the benefits and risks of fluoride in drinking water. It's not even close. The pages there also contain links to studies.

http://www.cdc.gov/fluoridation/basics/index.htm

GMOs are also not even a close call. The links to that evidence are numerous in these forums, but you'be gotten way off the topic of this thread. It's a shame that science is under attack from both the left of the political spectrum (the posts above in this thread are a case in point), and the right (with the anti-global warming, anti-evolution ridiculousness). We are failing with scientific education. You are certainly free to do what you want but the push by those who choose to be willfully ignorant is costing lives.
    Here is a link that explains what the flouride in our water actually is. If our government is the one adding it, or making laws to allow certain chemicals, GMO'S, to be used, do you think the government would tell you its anything but safe? Something you should watch is The Human Experiment. This video about flouride is one of many explaining what it is. I have found such conversations when people bring up right vs left to be a waste of time. So I will just leave this here for anyone interested in what flouride is. Have a good day....get those gains....all kindz of gains.
    https://youtu.be/7aTfyo0Xz_c

Thank you for a video full of people that make me question wisdom of a democratic system of government. Not sure it does anything in respect of the evidence, but it was entertaining.
  • stylistchicky
    stylistchicky Posts: 561 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Last holiday we had in the US I was impressed by the American smiles: There were lots of very straight, white teeth around.

I think in part is is because of spending more money on dentistry and that, compared to Brits, The Yanks are more tanned and the contrast highlights their teeth more.

I don't think that it is due to the British not looking after their teeth as well (as in not flossing, brushing etc), in fact that the high quality of my daughter's teeth (due to good brushing) went against her when trying to get braces:
    • The orthodontist decided that she didn't qualify for braces because her crooked teeth were not causing hygiene problems.
    • Our dentist said that she had a lack of hygiene problems because she regularly brushed and flossed!

I'd like to know what the common toothpaste in America is? Does it contain Fluoride and SLS?

There is no common toothpaste, but some of the big brands are Crest and Colgate. All of them have fluoride and the majority are Dentist Association Certified. But here's the thing, they put fluoride in the drinking water. So that's a big reason people have healthy teeth here. Also, we have to pay for our dentists and usually go every 6 months for a cleaning. Alot of health insurance polices help with this.

Actually most Americans are pretty terrible at this. They assume something that is pretty much standard in Western countries (like Flouride in the water) is uniquely American. And they seem not to realize that those countries also enjoy many benefits they don't get (maternity leave, free health care etc). I guess living in a bubble has advantages and disadvantages?

Media, corporations and governments have turned it into one big bubble whereby the nation is only aware of whats going on around them and have almost no awareness of the rest of the world.
    It doesnt help they are not free to have independent thought and they are finely tuned to be patriotic irrespective of how criminal and crook like their leaders are.
    Sheeples.

Have you seen the thread where a girl is asking about why Americans have an alarmingly high obesity rate and why they are obsessed with processed food as opposed to healthy nutritious food? Something along those lines but she also explained her knowledge isnt thorough and she wants people to educate her as opposed to reading stereotypes. Well if you saw the reaction and how everyone started attacking in defense and denying the actual problem - it just validates our beliefs further.
    The odds are stacked against us Americans for healthy food choices. America is the birth place of Monsanto and GMO'S. There is even a bill here signed by our President protecting companies saying they don't have to label products containing GMO's, they put harmful chemicals in our foods that they remove when sending to other countries that have them banned. Lots and lots of research is needed to find out what all these ingredients really ate....only to be linked to another article that rebukes it "because of science" and then another article linked to explain how other countries ban GMOs or must be labeled. Its one big mind f@ck here. Our food is disgustingly, dangerously unhealthy, full of harmful chemicals.

Check again. Are you sure you're not already dead from all those chemicals? I died years ago because GMO hormones made their way through my tinfoil hat during my alien abduction vivisection. That little alien grey headed nurse was kinda hot though, and she flashed quite the fluoride laden smile before dispatching me with a vaccine. I'm pretty sure it was the reaction with gluten that finally killed me though.

Sigh. Believe what you want. It's fact GMO's are banned in other countries and or they must be labeled except in America. After the Haiti earthquake Monsanto sent them seeds. The Haitians burned them, they were starving but would have rather starved than plant Monsanto GMO seeds which would have ruined their soil. Those are facts. Are they all crazy too? Its okay, you are free to eat and believe whatever you want. Just like I am free to research and come to my own decisions about what I eat.
    Just like smoking didn't cause cancer back in the day, you were crazy to think so, because Science said it was safe. Now look at what they say about smoking.

I'll stick with peer reviewed studies. For those who care for evidence this link contains information on the benefits and risks of fluoride in drinking water. It's not even close. The pages there also contain links to studies.

GMOs are also not even a close call. The links to that evidence are numerous in these forums, but you'be gotten way off the topic of this thread. It's a shame that science is under attack from both the left of the political spectrum (the posts above in this thread are a case in point), and the right (with the anti-global warming, anti-evolution ridiculousness). We are failing with scientific education. You are certainly free to do what you want but the push by those who choose to be willfully ignorant is costing lives.
    Here is a link that explains what the flouride in our water actually is. If our government is the one adding it, or making laws to allow certain chemicals, GMO'S, to be used, do you think the government would tell you its anything but safe? Something you should watch is The Human Experiment. This video about flouride is one of many explaining what it is. I have found such conversations when people bring up right vs left to be a waste of time. So I will just leave this here for anyone interested in what flouride is. Have a good day....get those gains....all kindz of gains.

Thank you for a video full of people that make me question wisdom of a democratic system of government. Not sure it does anything in respect of the evidence, but it was entertaining.

Hard to believe you read a comment, watched a 20 min video, and responded in 17 minutes. Its painfully obvious you didn't watch it.
  • stylistchicky
    stylistchicky Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    @stylistchicky the other really cool thing about living in the US is the ability to make our own choices regarding the food that we eat! Why do you have to read the back of a toothpaste tube to know not to swallow it? Not everyone here swallows...

We are being misinformed about whats in our food and laws being passed about not labeling GMO's. But you are right we have the choice to make our own sandwiches at home with homemade bread and home grown veggies, instead of gowing to Subway to get processed meats and bread made out of the same chemicals they put in yoga mats. Its not THAT hard but they should just be honest about it. If GMO's are so healthy then why not advertise that! "Wow! Contains All Natural GMO's!!!"
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    FYI - fluoride was already discussed much earlier in this thread... however, not like this.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Sheeples.

Hard to believe you read a comment, watched a 20 min video, and responded in 17 minutes. Its painfully obvious you didn't watch it.

I made it through about 6 minutes and realized I've seen it before. So did you read any of the studies or the links? If you honestly can't distinguish between evidence and entertainment then I can't help.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    We're just tuned out to bad teeth, and don't notice so much. Have seen some bad teeth in the US too though, among poorer people, but everyone middle class and above seem to have great teeth.

Some teeth just look too white though, and ridiculous.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Nm
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    My son is 15 and still has never had a cavity in his life. I don't think it's attributed to good genes because my hubby and I wouldn't say we were blessed with naturally good teeth. I had braces back in middle school, and regular cleanings every 6 months, and brush and floss twice a day. So my teeth are decent as an adult. But my son's teeth were terribly crooked before he got braces. He was so self-conscious of his teeth that he would never smile with his mouth open. He also had a a terrible cross-bite that needed to be fixed. I know that 75% of my son's friends also have braces. I tend to be pretty oblivious to what's common and what-not, but I believe that there is just a strong social stigma here to have "bad teeth". If you drove through my little town in Texas, you'd literally find a dentist and and orthodontist on every commercial block. I often wonder what keeps them in business because there is just an inundation of dental professionals here!

• Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    Americans typically have better teeth because the government dumps fluoride in our drinking water. Its poison and makes people dumbed down. I would take bad teeth if it meant they stopped putting fluoride in the water.

OMG! WWers has been urging me to drink a LOT of water to help with my weight loss. I guess I wil start buying that Smart water I see in stores.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I couldn't help but notice that the only people with profile pics showing their teeth are Americans. :#

OOOOH!! You are onto something! haha
  • TreasureDiver1
    TreasureDiver1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Where's your smile Selina? :#
  • benmullins4
    benmullins4 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Mr. Ed is American and his teeth are shyt. He mustn't be drinking the water with the fluoride in it...8my3q0xbqgfq.jpg
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    Mr. Ed is American and his teeth are shyt. He mustn't be drinking the water with the fluoride in it...8my3q0xbqgfq.jpg

And all the GM hay
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    To be honest every time I go to England I'm shocked by a lot of people's teeth. You rarely see people with yellow/missing/crooked teeth in the US but in England you see it everywhere. I think it's because it's so hard to find an NHS dentist and because a lot of people don't care about their teeth that much. Some people do have great teeth but that tends to be due to lucky genetics rather than extensive dental work.

Is is *almost* compulsary to have the teeth whitened over there?
    There is an increasing trend here to get teeth whitening professionally to attain a "hollywood smile"

Well I had my teeth whitened in England but the majority of Americans I know don't need to because they have really looked after their teeth from childhood, had braces as kids and have cleanings every 3-6 months. I had to get mine whitened because I smoked at the time and didn't go to the dentist for about 5 years!

thankyou - Ive always been curious about the teeth whitening culture.

I've done the over the counter stuff but it made my teeth ache. There are professional ones that you get with a prescription that seem to work very well. It's odd to see someone without a nice smile, although there are def people with bad teeth, because as kids it's really pounded into our heads. We did fluoride at school, had the local dentist office come in an talk and give out toothbrushes. I think, in America, we see bad teeth and think "poor, dirty, trashy" even if it's just subconsciously.
    For my family, both my brother and I had braces- I had vampire fangs- my canines where stuck up in my gums, his were just all messed up. We both had wisdom teeth out, so that prevents crowding as adults.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    So do British people like to rhyme alot? If so teeth rhymes with beef (basically).
    Than, Explain beefeaters to me?

bae8oc4zksel.jpg
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    So do British people like to rhyme alot? If so teeth rhymes with beef (basically).

bae8oc4zksel.jpg

If you're from South London then beef and teef rhyme perfectly (although 'teef' also means 'thief') Welcome to rhyming slang...
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options

bae8oc4zksel.jpg

If you're from South London then beef and teef rhyme perfectly (although 'teef' also means 'thief') Welcome to rhyming slang...

lol