Massage and Toxins

Options
232good
232good Posts: 92 Member
Hey! Is it true that when you get a massage toxins come out and whatnot? Especially told, drink tons of water to flush it all out! I've heard this a bunch, but I feel it is helpful for the muscles after lots of working out to have some massage therapy.. What are your thoughts??

Replies

• Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this and am eavesdropping for answers.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    What toxins?
  • 232good
    Options
    That's what I'm wondering.... I've been told the 'toxins' come out when you get a deep massage. I'm wondering what that really means? Is it true??
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    No toxins but it does feel good.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    232good wrote: »
    That's what I'm wondering.... I've been told the 'toxins' come out when you get a deep massage. I'm wondering what that really means? Is it true??

They want to come back! LOL
  • 232good
    Options
    Lol I just wasn't sure... If our tissues held toxins that we intake and released or something who knows?! I'm not a doctor or physiatrist that's for sure so had to ask
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Im guessing these toxins youre refering too is lactic acid which is in your muscle especially after exercise. Water will help flush it out and reduce soreness, and massages help at well.

I havent research lactic acid much so hopefully my post isnt misleading into wrong information. The above i got from my days on swim team pur coach would always tell us to drink more water to help with lactic acid.

Also i wouldnt consider lactic acid a toxin its somrthing that naturally happens.
  • JonDrees
    JonDrees Posts: 161 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The toxins are things that occur in the body naturally from regular cellular function. There is no evidence that massage stimulates the release of these toxins.

I think most massage therapists offer water these days as a chance for you to gather yourself after a long massage.

Chances are you won't die if you turn down the 4 ounces of water they offer you after your massage.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Sorry, anyone who tells you that massage releases toxins is a woo peddler and should be avoided.

I do, however, think that seeing a registered massage therapist is worthwhile whether you have a specific issue to be addressed or are just going in for a regular tune-up (I started going to one when I had an IT band issue several years ago, and get in on a regular basis now, especially as my mileage starts going up in the latter part of a training plan)
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    No, but I've heard the same from my massage therapist. I think it's more like hydrating helps in general, but they tend to be very... "alternative medicine-y."
  • ToxDocAR
    ToxDocAR Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Uhm, no. Just no.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    No, but I've heard the same from my massage therapist. I think it's more like hydrating helps in general, but they tend to be very... "alternative medicine-y."

Same. I smile, nod, and drink water because I like staying hydrated.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I get a 60 min. deep tissue massage once a month and it feels great! Particularly after a good workout. They always advise to drink lots of water, which I do anyway. I don't really think any "toxins" are being released, though.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Sorry, anyone who tells you that massage releases toxins is a woo peddler and should be avoided.

I do, however, think that seeing a registered massage therapist is worthwhile whether you have a specific issue to be addressed or are just going in for a regular tune-up (I started going to one when I had an IT band issue several years ago, and get in on a regular basis now, especially as my mileage starts going up in the latter part of a training plan)

Then it's going to be tough to get a massage, because they all pretty much say the same thing. The context is not the same as the "cleanse toxins"--it's more a release of whatever that comes from the massage itself.

I agree that I don't think there is much to it, but almost every massage therapist I have ever known treats it as gospel.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I swear when I get a deep tissue massage, particular on hamstrings and adductors

That's quite toxic

I think sometimes I even make my masseur blush ...serves him right with his pokey thumbs and pointy elbows
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    When I was in massage school they told us that every day. That we were "flushing the toxins" of our clients. They never told us what the toxins were or where exactly we were flushing them though. Just one of the many questions I had that went unanswered. Good use of $10,000 that was. As a practicing licensed massage therapist I admit, I was guilty of saying that to everyone who came across my table, particularly those who were skeptical about massage to begin with.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There's a great thread going on in the boards right now about toxins. The thing is, no one who tells you that you need a cleanse for toxins or anything else about these mysterious "toxins" can ever point to some specific substance that's supposed to be toxic and in our systems. The best I've seen are lists of things that aren't actually toxins at all.

It's pretty much all nonsense. Your liver, kidneys and whatall do a great job of detoxing you every day. If you actually had a build up of toxins in your body you'd need something more radical than a smoothie and a massage to deal with them.
  • 232good
    Options
    Perfect! No existing toxins in my tissues! Lol. Either way, I love massages...
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I love the monthly deep tissue massages I get, and I drink the water after we're done. I don't think any toxins are released during the process :wink: , but it sure does help reset the odometer during my high mileage training months.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The only 'toxins' that get released during massage are negativity and crankiness. ;)