Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How effective is the Ketogenic diet?

Options
Anicamarais
Anicamarais Posts: 46 Member
Is this diet healthy and will your body really become a fat burning furnace? What are your views?

Replies

• Anicamarais
    Options
    Apparently the brain prefers fat for fuel rather than glucose from sugar and carb!!!
  • sweetbug0130
    sweetbug0130 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I did it for months and it didn't work for me. I followed all the rules, tweaked it, counted calories and macros to a T, and nothing past the first week's loss. Everyone is different. I love eating that way though. It's easily sustainable for me but I just don't lose weight.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I did it for months and it didn't work for me. I followed all the rules, tweaked it, counted calories and macros to a T, and nothing past the first week's loss. Everyone is different. I love eating that way though. It's easily sustainable for me but I just don't lose weight.

Weight loss is all about calories. I could eat a diet of 100% Twinkies & lose weight.......as long as I were eating fewer calories than my body burns throughout the day. That's not a healthy way to lose weight but it would happen.

Lack of weight loss comes from: incorrect food logging, incorrect activity level, water weight fluctuations, or incorrect exercise calorie burns. If you were doing all of the above correctly and still not able to lose weight.....see a medical doctor.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10179969/weight-loss-flow-chart-2-0/p1
  • sweetbug0130
    sweetbug0130 Posts: 125 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Weight loss is all about calories. I could eat a diet of 100% Twinkies & lose weight.......as long as I were eating fewer calories than my body burns throughout the day. That's not a healthy way to lose weight but it would happen.

Lack of weight loss comes from: incorrect food logging, incorrect activity level, water weight fluctuations, or incorrect exercise calorie burns. If you were doing all of the above correctly and still not able to lose weight.....see a medical doctor.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10179969/weight-loss-flow-chart-2-0/p1

That's an incorrect assumption. I did all the above exactly with keto and didn't lose. As soon as I add back in carbs, my weight drops. I logged everything perfect, weighed everything, had a heart rate monitor, and accounted for water weight... nothing. Don't assume everything works for everyone, that will give someone the wrong information and expectations.
  • Anicamarais
    Options
    Well I suppose keto does not work for everyone.. I've lost some weight and been on keto for almost a month... I feel great and my energy levels are insane!! And as for my mental clarity, never been better.. my concentration levels are so much better..
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Apparently the brain prefers fat for fuel rather than glucose from sugar and carb!!!

Incorrect.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Well I suppose keto does not work for everyone.. I've lost some weight and been on keto for almost a month... I feel great and my energy levels are insane!! And as for my mental clarity, never been better.. my concentration levels are so much better..

And no one said it doesn't work. You just made a few claims that weren't true. Glad you found a way of eating that works for you.
  • jruck371
    jruck371 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find very few people who maintain a keto diet for more than a few months. Any diet that restricts types of food is doomed to a high failure rate.
    Cutting out carbs is not a magic formula that will make you thin all of the sudden. Stay in a healthy (not too low)calorie deficit, exercise, and have patience. The weight will come off, you can eat any type of food(as long as you stay in a deficit) and it will be much easier to maintain when you get to a weight you are comfortable with.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    jruck371 wrote: »
    I think you'll find very few people who maintain a keto diet for more than a few months. Any diet that restricts types of food is doomed to a high failure rate.
    Cutting out carbs is not a magic formula that will make you thin all of the sudden. Stay in a healthy (not too low)calorie deficit, exercise, and have patience. The weight will come off, you can eat any type of food(as long as you stay in a deficit) and it will be much easier to maintain when you get to a weight you are comfortable with.

Again, not true. What is sustainable is highly variable between different people. I believe there are quite a few people in the low carb group who have sustained keto far longer than a few months (more like years).

OP, if you're just looking for like minded ketoers, I'd check out the group linked above.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

If you look at longer term studies, weight loss on keto vs any other diet plan comes out the same. You lose more early on with keto because you dump water and glycogen. And no...your brain does not prefer fat over glucose. Your body in general prefers glucose as fuel and uses it efficiently...keytones work, but it's a less efficient process...this is why you will see many endurance athletes do some training in a state of ketosis to get the body used to using fat a little better...but when they actually get into competition they're pumping the carbs...'cuz glucose.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Is this diet healthy and will your body really become a fat burning furnace? What are your views?

@Anicamarais the answer to your questions seems to vary greatly from one person to another.

The ketogenic way of eating has given me and my kids hope for a brighter future. Ankylosing Spondylitis has been in my family for many generations and testing positive for HLA-B27 factor is common.

Two years ago after dealing with AS for 40 years my health was crashing fast. The doctors wanted me to start on Enbrel injections to beat down my immune system which intuitive sounded like a bad idea when he covered some of its side effects. After 40 years of Rx meds my stomach was a mess and the IBS was worse than bad.

On a hunch I left sugar and all grains and in just 30 days my subjective pain level dropped from 7-8 of about 40 years duration to 2-3. Uncontrollable carbs faded away. Six months in the 40 years of IBS was fully resolved. I was able to walk well and get in and out of cars unaided finally and much more.

I am down 50 pounds without trying to lose weight with high hopes for the future at the age of 65. Lab work proves per my MD that the ketogenic way of eating works for me. Our teenage kids have seen the positive changes in my life and should AS become active in them they know how the ketogenic worked for me being eye witnesses.

Will a ketogenic way of eating be healthy for you and will your body really become a fat burning furnace is a question no honest person can answer Yes or No today on MFP. Over time you can try it if you wish and learn the facts in your case.

The first year it made my total cholesterol jump 200 points but by the end of the second year it was back into a healthy range for a 65 year old male.

Pre LCHF (two years ago) labs were:
    Total Cholesterol - 226
    HDL - 38
    LDL - 146
    Triglycerides - 209

9 months of LCHF (one year ago) labs were:
    Total Cholesterol - 404
    HDL - 56
    LDL - 323
    Triglycerides - 121

17 months of LCHF (24 Aug 2016) labs were:
    Total Cholesterol - 257
    HDL - 63
    LDL - 186
    Triglycerides - 36

Best of success and keep in mind there is no one but you that can answer your questions but only after you try it. The first year was a steep learning curve for me and I am still tweaking but in my case it is good for my body and my mind per my MD.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

That's an incorrect assumption. I did all the above exactly with keto and didn't lose. As soon as I add back in carbs, my weight drops. I logged everything perfect, weighed everything, had a heart rate monitor, and accounted for water weight... nothing. Don't assume everything works for everyone, that will give someone the wrong information and expectations.

This is literally the first time I've seen someone say it that way around. Usually they go the other way.
    However they are right. It's about the calories. It's easy to miscalculate on keto if you're not one of the people who gets satiated on it so quickly they don't need to count calories. Be 10 grams off on your oil and you have almost 100 calories more in than you thought.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

it is a tool to get into a calorie deficit, no more, no less. Your body burns fat in a calorie deficit regardless of what eating method you choose.