lifters, whats your worst lift?

Options
mine is the bench press always has been probably always will be. at 6'2 and 205 in highschool I could bench 235 for 10 now at 34 and 240 and a bunch of shoulder problems later I struggled at 150 this morning.

I thought this might be a good thread to be honest with each other and maybe add some accountability to practice our lifts and get better.

Replies

• Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Overhead press...urgh I hate it so much. It's just about the only lift I can't continually progress on.

Gotta find my fractional plates...
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    The squat is my worst lift. (:

I can squat 3x5 210# which puts me in the "advanced" category for men my age/weight (65/170#) but I dread it. Injured myself twice doing it; once seriously.

Takes all of my focus and attention to do it "right." Still trying to lift more weight but it's a struggle and, at my age, I need to rest more between sets and need to pay attention to my body and be willing to back off in order to avoid serious injury again. Can't let my ego get the best of me.

PS: I can also DL 1x5 275#, which also puts me in the advanced category based on age/weight, but DLs are much easier and much more for me to do. :)
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I feel like squats are always going to be my worst lift. My femurs are so long... I feel like it takes 20 minutes just to get all the way down to parallel. lol
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Bench without a doubt. The nice part of this is that I have low expectations of it in a meet. It's like the portion where I get to lie down and rest. Best is deadlift which, fun as it is, can be stressful because it comprises almost half my total.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    After a bulging disc injury I had to put squats and Deads on "break" till I got the okay from my doc. I received the all clear a month or two ago and am trying to build my squat back up. Deadlift strength came back quick, but the squats aren't going as fast. Still not worried about it but it is my worst lift at the moment. Was stoked today just to get 255 for 8.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Overhead press...urgh I hate it so much. It's just about the only lift I can't continually progress on.

Gotta find my fractional plates...

Ditto!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Overhead press

My shoulders are toast and I always have to adjust my grip on every set.

My best? Bench Press.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    pullups are the worst for me, if that counts as a lift. and i struggle with squats because of my bad knee.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Bench. I totally pscych myself out on it though...convinced always that I'm going to smash my face with the bar, even when I have a spot. It's definitely my weakest, and makes me feel inadequate when I'm at the gym - especially when I can load a bar hella heavy for everything else, then put my itty bitty little plates on for my bench and struggle!
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Overhead press is definitely my worst lift, closely followed by bench press. It's so hard to make progress on either of them!
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Definitely bench press and I totally know it's my own fault. It's the lift I train the least since it has the lowest carryover to my Olympic lifts (which are the lifts i'm most concerned about). Still it's embarrassingly low compared to my other lifts :(
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Squats are by far my worst lift.
    Made the mistake a long, long time ago by skipping legs and I'm paying for it now.
    For instance, I can rep 265 on bench 5-6 times but can barely get 3-4 reps at 245 on squats.
    That's why I've really focused on squats (and accessories to help squat) this past year and will continue as far as I can.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Bench - I am intermediate. Squat halfway between intermediate and advanced, and dl halfway between advanced and elite. All based on my body weight, but not adjusted for my age (54 YO).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Another vote for overhead press.........ask me again in a few months though as I'm considering learning Olympic lifting (Clean & jerk, snatch...)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    right now just about everything...I'm recovering from a bulging disk and pinched nerve in my neck so pretty much just doing rehabby *kitten*.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    right now just about everything...I'm recovering from a bulging disk and pinched nerve in my neck so pretty much just doing rehabby *kitten*.

sucks... :( Sorry, man
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Another vote for overhead press.........ask me again in a few months though as I'm considering learning Olympic lifting (Clean & jerk, snatch...)

Do it!!!! They're definitely the most fun.
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Ohp for sure. Now that I'm starting to make progress I am starting to look forward to them tho :p
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Definitely bench press and I totally know it's my own fault. It's the lift I train the least since it has the lowest carryover to my Olympic lifts (which are the lifts i'm most concerned about). Still it's embarrassingly low compared to my other lifts :(

That's fine though since your priority is your Olympic lifts. I could have said my snatch and C&J are my worst lifts because I never do them. I don't have a coach and would probably injure myself if I tried them with any significant weight. That's why I stick to the powerlifting lifts for now.