Subway! Is subway really healthy?

Options

Replies

• beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am watching carbs, so I get their salads. If you are watching sodium, turkey is the best.

Definately better than a big greesy burger, but lots of carbs in that good bread.
  • jenlw88
    jenlw88 Posts: 71
    Options
    i love subway.like someone check there website. i say depends on the bread too. it also depends what u put on a sub.
  • wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    on Biggest Loser whenever they talk about subway it is a 6 inch with no cheese and lots of veggies! So I guess it depends what you get, but it would be healthier than scarfing down wings or a big mac!
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Sorry, that was probably not a great choice.

Foot long Italian BMT

900 calories
    360 calories from fat
    38 grams of fat
    16 grams of sat. fat
    2,880 mg of sodium (more than your entire day's worth)

Next time, veggie delite without cheese, or turkey / ham, no cheese, bunch of veggies..and get a 6 inch on wheat bread.

Wow thats a lot of calories just for one sandwich...and all that sodium. Yuck. No thanks...i'll stick to making my own sandwich :tongue:
  • bluebelle00
    Options
    Example: Today for lunch I had a 6" Orchard chicken salad on wheat with provolone cheese & lettuce. (That is a reasonably "healthy" choice from their menu.) Grand total: 630 calories. That is half my daily limit in ONE sandwich!!!
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I love the buffalo chicken... anything spicy really.. I have started getting it on the flatbread (and only a 6inch) instead of chips I get the yogurt and I get a water - I then put a crystal light or arazona icetea mix in the water. It fills me up more then you would think. I love subway. I know the sodium but always being on the run it is better then mcdonals, wendys, bk or DND. In my opinion anyways. It is also cheaper then panara.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    At subway I get a 6" turkey breast or ham (or combo) on wheat bread, no cheese, no sauce, all the veggies. This is 280 calories and fills me up pretty good now, as opposed to a full footlong a couple of months ago. Subway isn't the best but you can make low calorie choices there.
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    Does calories or sodium matter? Calories matter to me more than sodium. I actually am deficient in sodium, so it works ok for me. I usually get turkey breast and all veggies on wheat bread with mustard. (280 calories)

The new bacon turkey avocado is good if you want to consume a few more calores (420) I never get any cheese though. I hate cheese.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    The Italian BMT is my absolute favorite. I get it on the herb and cheese bread with white American, veggies, mayo, spicy mustard, oil and vinegar. I know it has to be loaded with fat. Since I made my lifestyle change, I was eating the orchard chicken on 9-grain with just lettuce, but they discontinued it. :cry: I would think plain turkey with veggies and mustard on 9-grain is probably the best option there.
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If we are out I will choose subway instead of McDonalds or something like that. But I usually have a mini (3 inch) turkey with no cheese and honey mustard.

Look on the bright side though... at least you didnt get a meatball sub... or a quad stacker from burger king! lol
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    u'll be awright, just go have another bottle of wine. :smile:
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Its all relative. Is Subway healthier than almost any other fast food... yes definately. Eat in moderation and watch out for the sodium. A 12" would probably be twice the calories you likely need.

A 6" BMT sub on whole grain with cheese, mustard and veggies is still going to be alot healthier than a Big Mac or a Whopper.

I'd cut back on the mayo, pickles, and olives as these are where most of the sodium comes from.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Example: Today for lunch I had a 6" Orchard chicken salad on wheat with provolone cheese & lettuce. (That is a reasonably "healthy" choice from their menu.) Grand total: 630 calories. That is half my daily limit in ONE sandwich!!!

I love the orchard chicken!!! Where was that because I was told it was discontinued? I may have to try a different Subway. I'm not sure that the sandwich maker at the last Subway I went to spoke English very well.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's healthier than most fast food, but all that bread is still a lot of calories. As other posters have mentioned the sodium in deli meats tends to be pretty high, but I wouldn't worry too much about it if it's just once in a while. And you are exercising regularly you'll sweat a lot of it out.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    u'll be awright, just go have another bottle of wine. :smile:

Not a bad idea. Maybe the dehydration from the wine will counteract the water weight gain from the sandwich. :drinker:
  • Smittyinthesun2
    Options
    Do the math, the world wide web subway.com will tell you the calories and all the other data regarding what you ate!
  • rea1980
    rea1980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    http://www.eddieoneverything.com/nutrition_info/calculators/Subway_calorie-calculator

HEre is a sight you can build your subway sandwich in and see its nutrional values.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I really like the Veggie delite. No cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles, banana peppers and yellow mustard. 235 calories but 660 mg sodium. The bread alone is 410 MG OF SODIUM. There is absolutely no reason 6" of bread should have that much sodium.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    http://www.eddieoneverything.com/nutrition_info/calculators/Subway_calorie-calculator

HEre is a sight you can build your subway sandwich in and see its nutrional values.

This site is awesome, eddie has links to many other national restaurants as well.
  • witchyboots
    witchyboots Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Shhhhh!! I love Subway :laugh:

I get a 6" chicken teriyaki on italian herbs and cheese bread with sweet onion sauce, 2 triangles of american cheese, lettuce, red onion, black olives and pickles for 480 calories and 12g fat - I don't think this is unreasonable for one of my three meals a day since I am allowed 1200 calories and I exercise.

Obviously it's not something I'd have every day though, I do sometimes worry that it's not as healthy as it's made out to be. I've been having it once a week lately though and I'm still losing..