Phentermine

Options
About 2 years ago I lost almost 60 pounds with diet and exercise. Then I went through a severe depression and my doctor gave me Effexor. I gained 40 pounds in 4 months on that. I stopped taking that earlier this year. About two weeks ago my doctor gave me Phentermine 37.5 just to kind of help me get kick started in the right direction. I got back into running last week and I have been making healthy choices with my food. I just really needed something to help me get back in the routine of my workouts and eating healthy. I have lost 10 pounds in two weeks. But this week I have only lost 1 pound. I can't figure it out. Any suggestions???

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Drugs isn't really the way to go if healthy choices is your main concern.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Majority of that 10lbs will be water, with only 40lbs to lose expecting 5lbs per week losses is completely unrealistic. 1lbs per week is more likely. Weight loss is also not linear, it's very common for big losses in the first couple of weeks and then a stall whilst the body catches up with itself, replenishes some of the water whooshed off and establishes the new normal.

As above though, I'd encourage you to taper off the drugs ASAP, they're really unnecessary, especially when you have so little to lose (relatively). They're only artificially suppressing your appetite. Track your calories, as accurately as possible. That's all you need to do to lose weight.
  • newwed412
    newwed412 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I do not plan on staying on them. I have done this before and I know it takes time. I was just going to take it for about a month or so just so I could get back in the habit of good portion control and working out. Once I get going I will be fine. I have tried in the past again on my own with no results. Just needed a little kick start and motivation. I do not eat meat hardly at all and I think that's where I am struggling, trying to fill up on veggies. I am trying to make choices that I can maintain not diet choices. You can't really be on a diet for the rest of your life it's a lifestyle change and I know that.
  • AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you came on here looking for validation re: the phentermine, you probably aren't going to find it.
    A pound a week is a good rate to lose, which you could do with proper logging and sticking to your calorie goal. No drugs needed.
  • PrettyBrownEyes85
    Options
    With phentermine be sure u are drinking tonsssss of water and you are fueling your body with healthy foods. You should lose 5% of your weight each month for the first few months. My doctor put me on the same pill recently. You having any side effects?
  • tcay584
    tcay584 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think that, if used properly, phentermine is a great drug for temporary use. Just remember that it's only there to help. The vast majority of the effort still has to come from you and you have to carve out a new lifestyle. Your expectations might be a bit high and you may need to be a bit patient and just keep plugging away. A 1lb loss in a week is actually pretty damn good and you should feel good about it. Nothing happens overnight. Try doing some meditation to help you relax and be grateful that you are able to start this journey.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Seeing as phentermine can lead to severe mood swings as a side effect, it might not be something you want to take when you have a history of depression.
  • newwed412
    newwed412 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    With phentermine be sure u are drinking tonsssss of water and you are fueling your body with healthy foods. You should lose 5% of your weight each month for the first few months. My doctor put me on the same pill recently. You having any side effects?

Just dry mouth that's about it. To the people who are being kind of snarky, I just asked a general question. No need to be total jerks about it. I am happy with a pound a week. I am just an impatient person in general. That goes for everything including my weight. So I have to learn to be patient with everything. My plan was to only take this for a month just to get back in the habit of things. I have done this on my own before so I know what I need to do. I just needed a push in the right direction. So you can keep your snarky comments to yourself. Just because you didn't need anything to help you doesn't mean others don't. I suffer with a high thyroid so it's a little harder for me than others. Think about what others are dealing with before you make your little comments. Thank you!

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    newwed412 wrote: »

Just dry mouth that's about it. To the people who are being kind of snarky, I just asked a general question. No need to be total jerks about it. I am happy with a pound a week. I am just an impatient person in general. That goes for everything including my weight. So I have to learn to be patient with everything. My plan was to only take this for a month just to get back in the habit of things. I have done this on my own before so I know what I need to do. I just needed a push in the right direction. So you can keep your snarky comments to yourself. Just because you didn't need anything to help you doesn't mean others don't. I suffer with a high thyroid so it's a little harder for me than others. Think about what others are dealing with before you make your little comments. Thank you!

No one was being snarky....
  • tcay584
    tcay584 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Bwahahahaha! You are awesome!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

No-one was being snarky. Encouraging someone and making clear they need no assistance from an appetite suppressant to be successful could actually be pretty empowering to someone who thinks it's hopeless. Most of us have been there and done that.

Anything you read into it is just projection.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    From what you are saying, it's likely that your feelings of not being satiated are from not getting enough protein and/or fat. Try eating a veggie burger, cheese, or nuts. I have discovered PB Fit, and I love it. High quality yogurt is also a good protein source. Not Yoplait or Dannon, but something like Brown Cow or a good Greek yogurt like Chobani or Fage. I make my own so that I can control how tart it is, the fat content, and how I sweeten or flavor it. I like Indian style, about 4 ounces with a tiny bit of cinnamon, a tiny bit of cardamom, a teaspoon of honey, and a few pistachios or almonds.

I've used phentermine a few times. I had horrible side effects from it, but everyone is different.
  • mommamia30189
    mommamia30189 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have used Phentermine and i think it is a great drug to keep your appetite in control. Everyone is different.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Phentermine is really hard on the heart.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    About 2 years ago I lost almost 60 pounds with diet and exercise. Then I went through a severe depression and my doctor gave me Effexor. I gained 40 pounds in 4 months on that. I stopped taking that earlier this year. About two weeks ago my doctor gave me Phentermine 37.5 just to kind of help me get kick started in the right direction. I got back into running last week and I have been making healthy choices with my food. I just really needed something to help me get back in the routine of my workouts and eating healthy. I have lost 10 pounds in two weeks. But this week I have only lost 1 pound. I can't figure it out. Any suggestions???

So, your appetite increased with the effexor, you ate too much and gained pounds of the 60 back and your doctor gave you weight loss drug?

Not good.

40 pounds is not that much. Besides, if you lost 60 pounds with diet and exercise, you already know what to do.

Here's the deal: that weight loss drug will only work if you eat at a calorie deficit, and will not work if you eat at maintenance or above your TDEE. Therefore the drug is 100% unnecessary.

As for the quick weight loss at first, it happens and is likely a lot of water weight. Now is the time to take charge of our logging habits: weigh your food, log everything you eat, and only eat about half to three-quarters of your exercise calories back. Aim for a half pound a week when you have 25 pounds left to lose. Slow and steady wins the race!

Throw that pill away, too! You don't need it.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    Thank you, I do not plan on staying on them. I have done this before and I know it takes time. I was just going to take it for about a month or so just so I could get back in the habit of good portion control and working out. Once I get going I will be fine. I have tried in the past again on my own with no results. Just needed a little kick start and motivation. I do not eat meat hardly at all and I think that's where I am struggling, trying to fill up on veggies. I am trying to make choices that I can maintain not diet choices. You can't really be on a diet for the rest of your life it's a lifestyle change and I know that.

The drug is not helping you make good food choices, or keeping you in a deficit, or making lifestyle changes- you are.

Dieting just means cutting back on what you normally eat so that you are in a deficit. That's all. No magic to it.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    tcay584 wrote: »
    I think that, if used properly, phentermine is a great drug for temporary use. Just remember that it's only there to help. The vast majority of the effort still has to come from you and you have to carve out a new lifestyle. Your expectations might be a bit high and you may need to be a bit patient and just keep plugging away. A 1lb loss in a week is actually pretty damn good and you should feel good about it. Nothing happens overnight. Try doing some meditation to help you relax and be grateful that you are able to start this journey.

Maybe for someone who is morbidly obese where the risks of being overweight outweigh the risk of taking the drug, but for 40 pounds?

I think not.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Doesn't your doctor have you on medication for hyperthyroidism? That might be more appropriate.

Nobody is being snarky. :)
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    my wife has used it but it has never been a long term success. its basically speed. not a long term solution. there are no "jump starts" or short cuts. you simply have to eat correctly at the correct portions. period. end of story.

Most people who try other things get pissy when you tell them that because its tough to hear. thats the answer tho.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    After an initial loss of 10 lbs over a two week period, you find your body adjusting to a more normal weight loss of 1 lb per week and you seriously think there's something wrong?