Diet with PCOS

Options
Hey everyone I'm new to My Fitness Pal. I was recently diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome which causes me to be insulin resistance. I'm trying to find a diet plan to help me lose weight and fight my symptoms of PCOS. If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to give me advice. Especially if you have PCOS too!

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i have pcos, a lot of people find success with low carb diets and pcos. for me it's not sustainable so i've resigned myself to a slower path of just CICO. it does work, but it takes patience because the loss is definitely slower.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    I have PCOS with insulin resistance. Low carb high fat is working for me. There is also a PCOS group on here (sorry I don't have the link handy) for additional support.
  • FaeryChaos
    FaeryChaos Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in early 2010, with insulin resistance and a fatty liver. It was a relief to finally know wth was going on with me, but it's been an interesting path and making things work!

I take supplements, instead of metformine, and those are helpful in soooo many ways. With diet changes, figuring out the right supplements (or meds/met) - oh and a divorce - and now exercising, I've been able to lose 40ish lbs since then.

It's a life style change, which takes some getting used to, but then I felt so much better with losing the weight and getting more active.

But you can do it!! Not sure if you're ttc or not (I'm not) but I know even with PCOS, many of us still have been able to have kids.

There PCOS group is: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis
    There is another one, http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3300-pcos-and-low-glycemic-eating

And I have found that the LCHF is absolutely amazing for dealing with PCOS.
    That group is: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • sweetbug0130
    sweetbug0130 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have lost well so far with intermittent fasting. It causes the body to be more sensitive to insulin. I was diagnosed at 12...I'm 27 now.
  • eversmallory
    eversmallory Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hello, I was diagnosed on August 23rd with PCOS. My doctor immediately put me on this diet:

Lean meat only and have as much of it as you'd like. Basically chicken and turkey only.
    LOTS of veggies, but no starchy veggies like corn, peas, potatoes, etc.
    NO fruit except for berries because they're good for fertility.
    NO unnatural carbs (bread, tortilla, pastries, etc.)
    NO artificial sweeteners or sugar
    NO dairy (I allow myself ranch because it helps me get in the veggies but I don't have it every day)
    Only one cup of black coffee a day if you are used to it. If you can do without it, then that's better.

This has been that hardest thing I have ever done in my life, but only a week later and I'm down 11.8 pounds already! It's so difficult but the end prize (a baby) is soooooo worth it!

One of my favorite dinners has been taking turkey lunch meat and searing it in a pan and getting it crispy... remind me of bacon! SO YUMMY!

Add me and lets do this together <3
  • perilousbard
    perilousbard Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hello! I also have PCOS and have been working with a nutritionist. My diet echos the low-carb (including starchy veg) and low/no dairy. I'm a vegetarian and eat lots of nuts, fruit, and veggies. I'm not insulin resistant. I've given up alcohol almost entirely. What has helped me most is staying active. I exercise every day and that makes all the difference for me personally. I highly recommend consulting with a nutritionist and work out a diet plan that works for you :smile:
  • diamond1126
    diamond1126 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone so much! It's good to know that I'm not alone in this! I've learned so much already. I was just diagnosed about two weeks ago so I'm still trying to adjust to these lifestyle changes.