Tell me about an encounter with a squirrel

13»

Replies

• aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 819 Member
    I have a couple. A bunch of us had gone hiking and stopped for lunch. We had to move our lunch spot three times because the squirrels kept chucking pine cones onto heads. mad bombing squirrels.

the other. Sitting on the quad while in college. A college girl had brought her lunch and was eating on the quad. When she was done she forgot to close her backpack because she was chatting with a friend. While they were exclaiming over the cute squirrels running around and one snuck into her bag. She didn't realize it until she went to close up her bag and the squirrel started hissing at her and then jumped out. I think she stopped the entire quad with her scream.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Here's one of our local fox squirrels. Very bold and sometime slow in the road, which is why they are on the endangered species list:

93u0wwa0bfkr.jpg
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    The squirrels at SIUC became addicted to nicotine after people would toss the butts and the squirrels would chew on these. They became rather aggressive and would chase people walking through the wooded paths and climb on them looking for cigs.

Then came the projectile teeth...
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    My boyfriend and I moved into a new house in March. It has an old rope swing with a plank for a seat on the tree that I have been after my boyfriend to get rid of because I am slightly OCD and the swing hangs crookedly and it drives me crazy. Well, the other day I was watching my hummingbird feeder and saw this rather large squirrel take a running leap onto it. He just sits there eating as it swings back and forth. Finally it stopped, and he got down and left. I told my boyfriend he could keep the swing.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    We have lots of squirrels here, too. Someone in my neighborhood feeds them peanuts so that they don't feast on our gardens. Pretty cute watching them munch on peanuts. Sometimes they run up to my patio door in my bedroom and put their little hands on the glass and just stare in at me. Pretty sure they're trying to see if I have something better to eat.

Also, they get in the attic in my office and run around madly across the ceiling tiles until they can find an escape route. One of these days those ceiling tiles are going to shift and fall and I'll have a squirrel fall on my head.
  • Coffeebeenz
    Coffeebeenz Posts: 95 Member
    synchkat wrote: »
    Mine was real...taken with my phone...in a tree on elm street

Wait wait... TERROR SQUIRREL lives on ELM STREET?!? Yasssss! *buys little striped sweater, fedora, and razor nails for him to rock* There ya go, Freddy... now be a good little squirrel and take all that bread to the boiler room :)
  • klkarlen
    My dog either killed a squirrel or found a dead one and left it on the couch for me when I got home.

I don't think that is a good pick up line.

Probably not. . . but could lead into the "what sort of dog" question as an ice-breaker.

My two dogs had a not-too-bright squirrel up a tree, and the critter thought he could make it to the fence. We watched from the window, the conversation was something like this: "Run Squirrel, Run!!! OH, oh, ewwww (as faster dog caught the squirrel), AH, quick, close the front door before they bring it in the house!!!".

She did not, she just laid with it wondering why it was not playing anymore. I had to go out with a shovel and take the remains out to the woods.
  • klkarlen
    I have never seen a squirrel like that. We have brown squirrels, red squirrels and black squirrels around here.

We have the regular smaller squirrels here too, what is interesting is their tails do not get as bushy as the ones up north did - I guess Florida squirrels don't need those tails to keep warm. But those fox squirrels are twice the size.

• Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    My dad had a squirrel named Rocky. Lived in a large 3 story cage in his living room.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    My parents have a squirrel that chewed through thebrope holding their birdseed on the tree so they replaced it with chain. I watched one day as he chased anither squirrel away from the feeder. They were up the tree and fell to the ground in this furry ball. The one got away while the mean one was stunned and ran off but then we saw the mean one chasing the other across the yard. It was quite epic. Then meanie laid in the middle of their yard in the sun. They have a giant backyard it was quite the fight
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    We had an albino squirrel in the neighborhood for a while... haven't seen it in a couple years. So gorgeous!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Not my squirrel story but my ex's...I guess one day I was leaving for work and didn't latch the front door properly. He'd fallen asleep on the couch. He woke up to the sound of one of our cats tearing through the house upstairs, looks at the front hallway...and sees a squirrel run full speed down the stairs and out the front door, with our cat in pursuit. She stopped at the doorway and watched the squirrel run away.

Woops.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    A squirrel tried to run into our home. I shouted, "No don't come in here". It ran away. Later my husband came home from work. I went to the gym. He didn't know about the squirrel. Our youngest daughter said this to him, "Sometimes Mom gets mad at squirrels and yells at them. That squirrel was brave, but not as brave as Mom!"
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    A squirrel tried to run into our home. I shouted, "No don't come in here". It ran away. Later my husband came home from work. I went to the gym. He didn't know about the squirrel. Our youngest daughter said this to him, "Sometimes Mom gets mad at squirrels and yells at them. That squirrel was brave, but not as brave as Mom!"

haha this is an awesome story