Ketogenic Diet

Options
2»

Replies

• walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I do keto an absolutely LOVE it. I've been in and out of keto for 3 years, lost 75 pounds in 6 months on it, in 2013.

I feel completely different in vs. out of keto. In keto I sleep better, feel leaner and more energetic, actually feel happier, more organized as if my brain isn't scattered. My blood work and vitals are enviable on keto...HDL cholesterol over 90, BP = 90/50 and I'm 44 with a family history of high BP and cholesterol issues.

Off keto, even eating good, complex carbs, I feel sluggish, down, bloated and my sleep is poor.

The difference is astounding, to me. I eat about 120gm protein/day.

If you're only one day into it, be patient. It takes at least 3 days to actually get into ketosis and for me, a week to feel like superwoman. Until then, I get a lot of headaches, brain fog, etc. DRINK LOTS OF WATER. It'll help with the headaches.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    walkdmc wrote: »
    I feel completely different in vs. out of keto. In keto I sleep better, feel leaner and more energetic, actually feel happier, more organized as if my brain isn't scattered. My blood work and vitals are enviable on keto...
    Off keto, even eating good, complex carbs, I feel sluggish, down, bloated and my sleep is poor.

The difference is astounding, to me.

Ditto walkdmc. I've been on keto for a few weeks. The difference is astounding. I had to take melatonin 6 mg at night plus a prescribed sleep aid to get even poor sleep. After a month on keto, I am getting tired enough to fall asleep at about the same time each evening and I don't keep waking up (only once or twice).

DH is also eating keto and has lost about 40 pounds in the same amount of time (grrrr). I lose weight slowly and he has always lost weight quickly. So jealous!! But my fasting blood sugar dropped to nearly normal levels (have been on a lot of steroids the last 2 years which seems to have triggered borderline diabetes). And my lipids are fantastic!

I eat 5/25/70. Mornings I have "keto" coffee with coconut oil which I put in the blender for a nice froth and have recently added 2 oz of protein with it. Finding what works best for you is so important. Like you, I feel so different on keto than I do on a high carb, low fat diet.

This diet plan was affirmed recently when I went to an appointment with a friend and her husband (he has Alzheimer's). The neurologist put him on a ketogenic diet along with 3-4 TBL coconut oil per day to help his brain function better.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    dionneh14 wrote: »
    Wow that's amazing well done. I have set mine to 40% protein 50 % fat & 10% carbs.
    Literally not touched a carb unless it's been in vegetables like carrots tomatoes etc.... Just wondering how people have got on. I'm not hungry at all which I thought I would be as I love my stodgy foods x

You're not going to go into ketosis with that much protein unless you're doing a lot of exercise and whatnot as the excess protein will just be converted to glucose. Keto dieters typically eat high fat.
  • JPketodiet
    JPketodiet Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been on the Keto diet for a little over 2 months. My scale doesn't seem to be showing much weight loss (5-6 pounds) BUT I have lost 4 inches off my waist as well as an inch or two in other areas. I have gone down a size in clothes so I know it is working.
  • PamSwift
    PamSwift Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started the Keto diet last week on advise from my doctor. I wasn't sure if I could do it or not but then I started to get creative. So far I have lost about 7 pounds. I know a lot if that is water but i really want to get this weight off. At first I was just eating less carbs and more protein. I finally figured out I needed more fat. I'm going to need all the support I can get. My family and friends think I'm crazy for doing this diet. No one understands how you can lose weight and eat the fat that have been eating.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    This is a medically-prescribed diet used to treat some people (mostly children) with epilepsy.
    So if you're on it, you should do what your doctor & dietician have told you to do, and if you have questions, ask the medical professionals involved in your care instead of random strangers on the internet.
    This is not something to do as a fad.

https://www.epilepsy.com/article/2007/11/side-effects-ketogenic-diet-identification-and-treatment
    "The most common, almost “expected”, side effects of the diet are constipation, acidosis (especially with illness), and decreased weight gain (not often weight loss)...
    less common side effects, generally occurring in [5%] include high cholesterol, kidney stones, growth slowing, and gastrointestinal upset... Very recent information also suggests that bone density can be a problem while on the diet..."
    (there are also reports of rare but very serious problems with heart & brain changes)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1198735/
    "Gastrointestinal disturbances, such as nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, and constipation, also were frequently noted, sometimes associated with gastritis and fat intolerance. Other early-onset complications ... hypertriglyceridemia, transient hyperuricemia, hypercholesterolemia, various infectious diseases, symptomatic hypoglycemia, hypoproteinemia, hypomagnesemia, repetitive hyponatremia, low concentrations of high-density lipoprotein ... hepatitis, acute pancreatitis, and persistent metabolic acidosis. Late-onset complications also included osteopenia, renal stones, cardiomyopathy, secondary hypocarnitinemia, and iron-deficiency anemia."

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I had to eat a ton of psyllium husk powder and take magnesium tablets when i was low carbing, without them i would have completely blocked up.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    This is a medically-prescribed diet used to treat some people (mostly children) with epilepsy.
    So if you're on it, you should do what your doctor & dietician have told you to do, and if you have questions, ask the medical professionals involved in your care instead of random strangers on the internet.

https://www.epilepsy.com/article/2007/11/side-effects-ketogenic-diet-identification-and-treatment
    "The most common, almost “expected”, side effects of the diet are constipation, acidosis (especially with illness), and decreased weight gain (not often weight loss)...
    less common side effects, generally occurring in [5%] include high cholesterol, kidney stones, growth slowing, and gastrointestinal upset... Very recent information also suggests that bone density can be a problem while on the diet..."
    (there are also reports of rare but very serious problems with heart & brain changes)

"Gastrointestinal disturbances, such as nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, and constipation, also were frequently noted, sometimes associated with gastritis and fat intolerance. Other early-onset complications ... hypertriglyceridemia, transient hyperuricemia, hypercholesterolemia, various infectious diseases, symptomatic hypoglycemia, hypoproteinemia, hypomagnesemia, repetitive hyponatremia, low concentrations of high-density lipoprotein ... hepatitis, acute pancreatitis, and persistent metabolic acidosis. Late-onset complications also included osteopenia, renal stones, cardiomyopathy, secondary hypocarnitinemia, and iron-deficiency anemia."

The nutritional needs of someone on a medically necessary Keto diet vs. non-medically needed keto diet is very different so that isn't really indication that keto is dangerous. Also, lowered my high cholesterol in all areas in 4 months of low carb... sooo... I am not one of the 5%.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »

As the PP said, a medically prescribed keto diet is vastly different than a nutritional ketogenic diet. The medical one is always as low calorie as is able, with low protein and very minimal carbs. Nutritional ketosis is usually under 50g of carbs per day with moderate protein and can be eaten to caloric excess (like when bulking).

Everything you've listed there has been shown to be wrong for nutritional ketosis.
  • dianedemoss08
    dianedemoss08 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well that was April. Now that it's September, how's it going?