Help! How to deal with people trying to sabotage your weightloss journey

Options
I don't know how to deal with this. Anyone have ideas on how to cope or if it's happens to you what worked?

Feeling a bit lost

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    How specifically are they trying to sabotage?
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    You have to learn to tell people no.
    "No thanks." (keep saying it until they get the message) The less explaining you do, the more effective it will be.

My doctor told me I have some medical problems from being overweight and out of shape, so when people push food on me or when I am pressured at a restaurant, I just say that I have a medical problem -- that works like magic.
  • hlektra28
    hlektra28 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    IGNORE THEM!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    No one tried to sabotage my weight loss.

Sure, people offered me food ... but I just looked at it like this ...

I am intolerant to peanuts and some dairy products. If I were to eat a dish loaded with peanuts or something with a lot of fresh cream, the results would be painful and, well, explosive. So if someone were to offer me a scone laden with cream or a party mix made mostly of peanuts, simply, "No thank you."

I just applied the same technique to being offered something I could eat but which didn't happen to fit into my calories for the day.
  • beccapineapple8756
    Options
    It's my house mate. We have a set budget for food for the week. We use to take turns shopping but latley if he shops he will only get chips chocolate frozen pizzas fried chicken sodas all that kind of stuff. I have tried to talk to him about it but he refuses to listen. He is thin and thinks that food dosnt really matter as long as it fills you up. I keep offering to do the shopping every week but he refused an said that what I am doing is stupid that if I was that worried about my weight I shouldn't have let it get this bad ☹️
  • hlektra28
    hlektra28 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I AGGRE WITH emdeesea!!!
  • rachaelann35
    rachaelann35 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Can't you just let him know that you're trying to make some lifestyle changes? Let him know that you think it's best that you go ahead and buy your own groceries. Set aside individual spaces in the kitchen for the both of you and/or label your groceries as well. Is this something you can do?
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Screw him. Each of you buy your own food. I had a variety of housemates off and on for about twenty years. We never split food, and each had our own space in the cupboards.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    At first I tried to argue and justify my plan. There were a few who constantly tried to sabotage my journey, including family and friends. I even had a very best friend secretly call my husband and tell him I had an eating disorder! It caused all kinds of worry. After a while I realized that it's about me and not them and most of the time people are just afraid of what they don't understand or jealous of what they aren't able to do. I stopped trying to justify my actions and ignored the haters. Just learned to focus on myself and my own journey. Little by little I eliminated the toxic people from my life... wasn't an easy task because some of them were loved ones and even family. But I did it, and then I re-build my circle... and surrounded myself with those who were on the same journey as me. Mostly gym-buddies. I actively sought out people who were working hard to change their lives for the better thought nutrition and fitness, and I stuck with them for motivation, encouragement, support and new friendships. Once I hit my goal I was able to look back and be proud of the struggle. Those who were against me, who didn't trust in my process were finally able to see my achievement. I sat back quietly and let them stew in their own past misconceptions, words and mistakes. I am still moving forward... always happy but never satisfied and by now the sabotage efforts are long in the past. You'll get past it too, just learn to be strong, be confident in your actions and decisions and ignore the haters. Since this is your housemate and I assume you're splitting the cost of everything, just simply tell him to shop for himself from now on, and you can shop for yourself. As you get more and more fit and healthy with more energy and a more positive and healthy outlook on life he can be consuming the same garbage and stuck in his own head wondering what the hell is going on LOL! Sooner or later he'll come around to your way of thinking and if he doesn't, it's his problem not yours. :smile:
  • beccapineapple8756
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone. I just spoke to him and he isn't very happy about it. I said that being this big isn't good for me and I need to look after myself. Doctor said that I need to loose more weight. He kinda just blew up than stormed out the door. I'm a bit confused to his reaction. But now I know I'll be able to get the food I need. And thanks for that suggestion I'll go see the grocery store manager in the morning
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm not completely understanding. Do you and your housemate commingle your finances? Why not just each get your own groceries? I never shared grocery budgets with roommates.
  • BoxerBrawler
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Another thought after reading your reply...
    How long have the two of you known each other? Been friends before becoming roomies? Are you in a relationship aside from just being house mates? The reason I ask is because my husband had a very hard time dealing with the person I was becoming. The thinner, healthier and stronger I got, the more he worried that I was completely changing the person who he had known for such a long time. It was a struggle. He never got angry with me and always supported what I wanted to do, but he was sort of sad and maybe a little lost. He felt as if he was losing me. Not losing me physically or mentally, but losing the "old" me in terms of my character. The truth is that part of what made me "me", when we met did disappear, but the healthier and more positive, motivated and stronger version of myself shone through. He loved that version of "me" as well once he got to know her :smile: I guess my point is that people are sometimes afraid of change.
  • beccapineapple8756
    Options
    No relationship but have known each other for about 5 years now and that whole time I have been bigger. He has always known be to the the big shy girl. And that has slowly been changing. I didn't think that it would affect him.

And I like the idea of the household fund thanks.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    On an aside note... this is why I don't let my husband do the grocery shopping LOL! He comes home with meat and sweets, and maybe some chips. Although he does buy a lot of fruit, I am not a fruit person! Nope... I make the list, I do the shopping, I do the prep. I do buy some of the stuff he likes as well but he pretty much eats what I cook him! :smile:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    My husband and I go shopping together each week. We each buy the things we like and a few common things.

For example, my husband likes oatmeal for breakfast ... so he buys oatmeal and milk.

I like a certain type of yogurt, so I buy that.

We both buy bananas, but he puts his into one bag because he likes his a bit riper than I do, and I put my almost-green bananas into a separate bag.

He buys a block of cheese ... I buy 2 or 3 containers of low fat cottage cheese.

He buys cans of tuna (and I might have one once in a while) ... I buy cans of chicken (and he might have one once in a while).

Bread and margarine are common.

We've been married for 8 years now, and we've found that this just works best for us. I wouldn't be keen on him telling me I needed to eat as much oatmeal and tuna as he does ... and he probably wouldn't be keen on me telling him he had to eat cottage cheese every day. Just because we're married doesn't mean we need to eat the same things.