Lunch Meat!?!?

Options
So it was recently brought to my attention how BAD these store brought sandwich meats REALLY are! Yes.. green.. I know! So been doing some research on this. First, me ,I LOVE a good sandwich. They're usually low in calories for me, and I really enjoy them. So this wasn't good news for me. I've not been able to find any brand, online, that's natural and lower in sodium. What do you guys do for a good sandwich? I initially thought Boars Head, but that's now been disproved. HELP!

Replies

• littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Chickpea salad or baked tofu and pesto... Sandwiches don't have to be sandwich meat, get creative
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    There is nothing like grilling up a chicken breast, then slicing it "thin-ish" and using it for a sandwich preferably on a toasted bun or bread. best chicken "patty" sandwich you can have.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    also, you can find negativity on anything you want. personally, I eat turkey breast or virginia ham sandwiches.

Also, you can make egg salad sandwiches or tuna fish sandwiches. there are a lot of choices.
  • dpaden25
    dpaden25 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    also, you can find negativity on anything you want. personally, I eat turkey breast or virginia ham sandwiches.

Also, you can make egg salad sandwiches or tuna fish sandwiches. there are a lot of choices.

Right! I was def going to just consider the whole chicken breasts sliced. I was just amazed at the things I saw online! Cancer, illnesses, etc.. And this has been my single go to meal for years. Ha, I feel like I've caused this irreversible damage or something! Thanks for the response!
  • dpaden25
    Options
    Chickpea salad or baked tofu and pesto... Sandwiches don't have to be sandwich meat, get creative

This is true!
  • dpaden25
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    As long as there isnt too much "crap" (fillers) added into the meat, there is nothing wrong with it. Read the labels.
    But seriously how easy is it at home to take few chicken breasts, sprinkle them with salt, pepper, garlic + dried herbs, put together, tie with a kitchen twine and bake? After that slice and you know that you eating nothing but a proper chicken in your sandwich.

You're right, never thought of it like that. I Youtube'd some ideas on making my own but they didn't look to appealing. I'm def going to give it a try and see what happens! Thanks!
  • dpaden25
    Options
    Eat what you like, my friend! If you want a yummy sandwich with meat, cheese, and veggie, EAT IT! As Tom says above, there will always be naysayers...some people say bread is bad (for me it is, for you it's not!)...some will say meat is bad, others will poopoo carbs in general. Bottom line is YOU GOTTA DO YOU. Being mindful about what is in your sandwich is a great idea, but don't deprive yourself altogether! Much love! xo

• LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like, my friend! If you want a yummy sandwich with meat, cheese, and veggie, EAT IT! As Tom says above, there will always be naysayers...some people say bread is bad (for me it is, for you it's not!)...some will say meat is bad, others will poopoo carbs in general. Bottom line is YOU GOTTA DO YOU. Being mindful about what is in your sandwich is a great idea, but don't deprive yourself altogether! Much love! xo

I agree. Just don't eat 40 sandwiches. lol
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do you need to limit your intake of sodium?
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    dpaden25 wrote: »
    Tomk652015 wrote: »

Right! I was def going to just consider the whole chicken breasts sliced. I was just amazed at the things I saw online! Cancer, illnesses, etc.. And this has been my single go to meal for years. Ha, I feel like I've caused this irreversible damage or something! Thanks for the response!

Dont believe everything you read online, even things like look legit can be complete bs (just look at all the sites where you can read how terrible carbs are).

Im not saying all meat is fine some probably do have additives that arent the best for you but most are fine.

As for sodium, most people wont be effected by slightly higher sodium with the exception of some added water weight.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    The cancer from processed meat thing is that if you eat processed meat every day it increases your colorectal cancer risk from 5% to 6% so not significantly. The media totally blew it out of proportion
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Invest in a slicer. Make your own turkey breast & roast beef. Slice them for your sandwiches
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    There is good and bad in everything. You have to find what works for your nutrition plan and just go with it. It's easy to find suitable alternatives if you do a little research but it's ok to make some exceptions too. For examply, I eat a squeaky clean diet and I also enjoy good old fashioned Hillshire Farms "packaged" turkey or chicken breast. You just can't beat the protein and 2 ounces is only 50 calories. I am a calorie counter, like many people, so that number is very important to me. It's give and take... I don't like to compromise my health for a product but I also like to stay lean and strong so...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    This is why I ignore fear mongering online. I will continue to enjoy my boars head lunch meat. If you spend enough time online every single thing you could possibly eat or drink will have something saying how it will kill you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So it was recently brought to my attention how BAD these store brought sandwich meats REALLY are! Yes.. green.. I know! So been doing some research on this. First, me ,I LOVE a good sandwich. They're usually low in calories for me, and I really enjoy them. So this wasn't good news for me. I've not been able to find any brand, online, that's natural and lower in sodium. What do you guys do for a good sandwich? I initially thought Boars Head, but that's now been disproved. HELP!

You're reading too much sensationalized media...your risk of colorectal cancer goes from about 5% to 6%...media fear mongering and clickbait. Be careful with what you read and learn to do proper research.

Personally, I like deli sliced turkey and ham...I tend towards lower sodium varieties and one's that are more minimally processed...in that respect, learn to read labels.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I roast and slice meat for my sandwich loving husband, but he has hypertension and has been told to reduce his sodium intake.

It takes a little more time but the taste really is SO much better. There is a lot of correlation between processed meats and disease. Correlation doesn't prove causation, but it certainly doesn't disprove it either. I do try to limit the amount of processed meat I eat so I never buy processed lunch meats because I'd rather have sausage. :)
  • dpaden25
    Options
    Not necessarily! I mean I guess I would like to stay in a healthy range
    Do you need to limit your intake of sodium?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

what is wrong with boars head? I get boars head turkey, roast beef, chicken breast, etc, and have a sandwich, almost, every day, and it has not impacted my progress ...
  • dpaden25
    Options
    There is good and bad in everything. You have to find what works for your nutrition plan and just go with it. It's easy to find suitable alternatives if you do a little research but it's ok to make some exceptions too. For examply, I eat a squeaky clean diet and I also enjoy good old fashioned Hillshire Farms "packaged" turkey or chicken breast. You just can't beat the protein and 2 ounces is only 50 calories. I am a calorie counter, like many people, so that number is very important to me. It's give and take... I don't like to compromise my health for a product but I also like to stay lean and strong so...

Thanks!That's exactly how I'm feeling about it :) thanks!