Help! How to deal with people trying to sabotage your weightloss journey

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    You may have to do your own shopping. Your house mate is not responsible for your nutrition. Just let him know that you are not going to eat what he buys, so he should only shop for himself. If it's a matter of money, go talk to the manager at your local grocery store and find out when meat is marked down and what happens to damaged produce. I buy my meat at less than half price that way, and get my veggies very cheaply. Just remember that YOU are responsible for what you eat, not anyone else.

This right here ^^

Your roommate isn't sabotaging you, he simply isn't on the same page food-wise as you. It sounds like you need to stop sharing food.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    No relationship but have known each other for about 5 years now and that whole time I have been bigger. He has always known be to the the big shy girl. And that has slowly been changing. I didn't think that it would affect him.

And I like the idea of the household fund thanks.

Wishing you the best of luck. Having had so many housemates over the years, I think I've seen it all (I mean really, who doesn't buy toilet paper when it's their turn and tell you to just use the Times?). :) Anyway, if you end up not coming together on common food things, you can always just use the fund for dish soap and stuff like... toilet paper.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Honestly you don't owe him any explanations, just do your own shopping, and take whatever money you have out of this joint finance deal. Is he somehow pocketing some money when he goes shopping? Like does he buy cheap food, tell you it's more and keep the rest?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Just had another thought:

Why don't you guys go and do the grocery shopping together?

That way, you can chose the things that you'll share the cost of, (and ring that up separately and split the bill right at the checkout) and then you both can get whatever else you want that you'll each pay for separately.

He has no right to dictate what food is available for you eat, especially since you're paying for half of it. You're not a child and he's not your father. ;)
  • beccapineapple8756
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    Honestly you don't owe him any explanations, just do your own shopping, and take whatever money you have out of this joint finance deal. Is he somehow pocketing some money when he goes shopping? Like does he buy cheap food, tell you it's more and keep the rest?

I'm not sure I hope not. I keep all my dockets I don't think he dose havnt seen him bring one home. Suppose that's kinda my fault for not checking.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Just let him buy all his own food and you buy yours.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It's my house mate. We have a set budget for food for the week. We use to take turns shopping but latley if he shops he will only get chips chocolate frozen pizzas fried chicken sodas all that kind of stuff. I have tried to talk to him about it but he refuses to listen. He is thin and thinks that food dosnt really matter as long as it fills you up. I keep offering to do the shopping every week but he refused an said that what I am doing is stupid that if I was that worried about my weight I shouldn't have let it get this bad ☹️

Are you contributing an equal amount of money toward food?
    Do you make a meal plan and grocery list?
    If your budget is limited meal planning and a grocery list are very helpful for making the most of your money. Buying low nutrition pre-made foods is not very budget friendly.
    If you are contributing money for food then you have a say in what is bought with your money- doesn't matter if what you want is stupid or gross to him. If you aren't contributing money then you do not have a say unfortunately.

I would have a conversation focused on equality, compromise, friendship, the budget, his (freakish) control over the shopping and both getting what you want out of your living situation. You don't have to live together if he can't treat you as an equal with respect.
    If he flately refuses to buy any food you want then stop pooling your money. Each shop for and prepare your own food.
    It may be time to find a new housemate.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Yeah, def each person should do their own shopping. If need be you can each have your own cupboard so you won't be tempted to look at and desire the foods he buys.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I agree that you don't owe him any explanations and that he is probably not very happy with this new determination of yours.

As others have suggested, the best solution seems to be to each do your own shopping for all your food and only share expenses for things like toilet paper, cleaning products etc.

Also, I agree with snickerscharlie, you need to stick to your guns on this one. You need to do it for yourself.
    Good luck!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    All,

Please remember if you have a concern that a comment is in violation to just report it to the mod team. There's no need to derail a discussion by commenting back and forth about it, and discussing those concerns on the forums is a violation of guideline 11b.

Thanks,

kgeyser
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone. I'm not usually one to put my foot down and argue with someone. But I do really want this change I guess I need to learn to stand up for myself and look after myself. I need to say goodbye to the shy chick I've been and become more confident.

And what will help you stick up for yourself in this instance is the fact that what you are proposing is completely reasonable and equitable.

Let us know how it goes. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Screw him. Each of you buy your own food. I had a variety of housemates off and on for about twenty years. We never split food, and each had our own space in the cupboards.

Ya, I never split food expenses with housemates either.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    It's NOT sabotage. It's disagreement on what you guys eat. So buy what you need to buy and let him buy what he wants.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sara_b0702
    sara_b0702 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When I lived with roommates in college, we all bought our own food but would share the costs of communal goods like flour, baking soda, milk (if we all drank the same kind - rarely happened), and that sort of thing. Everyone's food preferences are just way too different, in my opinion, to successfully do what you were doing in the past; I've only ever had it work with my fiance because we actually share a household.

It sounds like he might feel that you're trying to tell him what to do with "his" money since shopping is done with both his and your money; it's an understandable frustration but not so understandable that him blowing up at you isn't weird. So take his money out of the equation and do the food shopping separately. I'd also sit down and talk to him when you're both away from the issue (like not right after food shopping but maybe when you're both just relaxing after work) and tell him how you've been feeling, without placing blame on him: "I feel upset when you tell me that 'I shouldn't have let my weight get this bad' and then get angry when I'm trying to change my diet. I value our friendship too much to let the arguments over food shopping ruin it, so I am going to start doing my own food shopping."
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone. I'm not usually one to put my foot down and argue with someone. But I do really want this change I guess I need to learn to stand up for myself and look after myself. I need to say goodbye to the shy chick I've been and become more confident.

I totally get that you don't feel comfortable with this because you were always the shy one and not used to putting your foot down. But on the other hand you are making a perfectly reasonable request and his reaction was not. In fact his comments were pretty hurtful.

After things settle down you do need to talk to him about it and let him know that you still value his friendship and shouldn't let arguments over food ruin it, as the person above suggested.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options

This is the attitude you need to hold fast to! It is beautiful. Your friend will understand eventually. He may be upset over something else, or just doesn't like the change in food arrangements. If he is really your friend he will get over it and you guys will move past it. Any relationship has bumps like this. But what you need to do is look after yourself first. Make healthy changes that need to be made...not all of them will be easy. For instance, I had to cut a lot of people out of my life because all they did was go out and drink and party - which were not good for me nutritionally or emotionally. It was hard at first, but I am better off now. No judgement to those who do that - it just isn't right for the lifestyle I choose to live now.

Best of luck girl!
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone. I just spoke to him and he isn't very happy about it. I said that being this big isn't good for me and I need to look after myself. Doctor said that I need to loose more weight. He kinda just blew up than stormed out the door. I'm a bit confused to his reaction. But now I know I'll be able to get the food I need. And thanks for that suggestion I'll go see the grocery store manager in the morning

He sounds immature. Basically, he had a temper tantrum. That was not kind to you at all. Also, maybe he has been buying pizza etc. partly as treats for the both of you?

I would pool some money for mutual items and then buy my own food. Good luck.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you're an adult, shop for your own food. You shouldn't be tied to what someone else thinks you should eat.

That said: it doesn't sound like "sabotage" (which is typically ON PURPOSE) just self-centeredness.