Treadmill incline calories burned

Options
Hey all! So I am a 23 yr old female and am 128lbs [5'9] and i go on the treadmill for an hour at 3 mph with 12% incline, how many calories am I burning? 200?
Thanks!!

Replies

• jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I would of thought it would be more than 200 if your spending an hour on there.

• motolady11
    motolady11 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    jdawson002 wrote: »

250?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

3 mph is a walk, though, and she's fairly light, so it's probably not as much as you'd expect.

If you're actually at 12% incline and not level 12 on your treadmill, then this calculator claims you burn 500 calories, but that does seem a little high to me (however, I understand that 12% incline is very steep so that's where that's coming from.)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    It also depends on if you hold in or not. The majority of the people at my gym hold on when on incline and that cuts the calorie burn by a lot
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    also depends by how you stand on the treadmill - if you counter balance leaning forward and holding your hands to the dashboard (like many do when inclining due to low fitness / stamina) the count drops significantly reducing close to a non inclined TM session.
  • LiftHeavy33
    LiftHeavy33 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was always unsure of total cals burned so I forked over for a heart rate monitor, best purchase I've ever made! It really just depends on how your body reacts to that.
  • motolady11
    motolady11 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

3 mph is a walk, though, and she's fairly light, so it's probably not as much as you'd expect.

If you're actually at 12% incline and not level 12 on your treadmill, then this calculator claims you burn 500 calories, but that does seem a little high to me (however, I understand that 12% incline is very steep so that's where that's coming from.)

Yeah that's what threw me off because on a level surface I would be burning 200 (not even) would incline add double that?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    There are calculators for "hiking" or climbing. That's what I used for my one walk that I do on a regular basis that is 25 minutes of a pretty steep incline. "Pretty steep" is kinda subjective, so I took a number and I used it and it seems to be a pretty reasonable number because I've used it for years. I used this site: http://calorielab.com/burned/

None of them are going to be 100% accurate, so just pick one and use it for a while and see if you get the expected results.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    motolady11 wrote: »

Yeah that's what threw me off because on a level surface I would be burning 200 (not even) would incline add double that?

When I googled, the consensus seemed to be that 10% incline would double the calories burned but I have no way to know if that would be an accurate assertion.

And, of course, like the other posters mentioned it would also depend on a lot on how you're walking and whether the treadmill is accurate about incline percentage. At my gym they have "levels" that don't actually correspond to percentages and so "12" would not be 12%, which is why I mention it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    motolady11 wrote: »

Three miles at walking pace would give you perhaps 130cals on a level surface. So as noted that level of elevation would potentially double it.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I'm late to the party, but I like this calculator:

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/walking-calorie-burn-calculator.shtml

For your stats it spits out a 504 kcal gross burn. I'd take away some for your BMR leaving a net of about 400 kcal or so.
  • l1k4
    l1k4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Simple rule, approximately 100 calories per mile. Weight for an average male/female (can't remember) so there we are. Incline/decline, humidity in air, airspeed velocity of an African laden swallow are also things to take in to consideration.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Here is another calculator you can use that accounts for incline.

exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    l1k4 wrote: »
    Simple rule, approximately 100 calories per mile.

The calculation that I posted above would give you 100 cals per mile if one is 160lbs and running, or 320lbs and walking.
  • l1k4
    l1k4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    l1k4 wrote: »
    Simple rule, approximately 100 calories per mile.

The calculation that I posted above would give you 100 cals per mile if one is 160lbs and running, or 320lbs and walking.

True. To be accurate, I'm not really sure the OP meant incline but probably level. Another option would be a HRM which would assist in calculating cals since the OP is doing steady state cardio. Quite a few calculator examples and someone even went to the trouble of backing out BMR. Mr Knight would be proud.
  • llmg970
    llmg970 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Lilmendy wrote: »
    I was always unsure of total cals burned so I forked over for a heart rate monitor, best purchase I've ever made! It really just depends on how your body reacts to that.

I agree best purchase I have made is ,you polar Hrm