1500 calories a day to lose 1 lb a week. Possible?

Options
I started my journey in March of this year 268 lbs and I'm now at 197 lbs. I was losing 2 lbs or more a week and now I'm losing 1.5-2 lbs a week. But in order to preserve muscle I want to try to lose slower. I started out eating at 1600 calories a day, but sadly I got impatient and dropped it 1200 calories a day. I realized how unhealthy that was for me so I started eating at 1300-1400 calories a day. Now I've been told that because I'm not strength training and because I'm losing so much so fast I'll end up losing muscle as well as fat. Well I definitely don't want that so I increased my calorie goal to 1500 and starting Wednesday I'll be adding strength training into my routine. My question is: is 1500 calories enough to keep me from losing more than 1 lb a week or should I increase it? I'm 5'6 also just in case you needed to know that. I work out 5x a week for 30-45 mins. I go for walks and jogs and atm I do Jillian Michaels beginner shred which does use dumbbells, but I only currently have 5 lb ones. I do plan on buying some 10 and 15 lb dumbbells and a pair of 10 and 15 lb kettlebells. My diary is open in case you need to know what I eat. My macros are 120g Carbs 140g Protein and 62g Fat. I don't typically reach those macros. I'm under for protein and carbs and sometimes over for fat.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What does MFP say to eat to lose a pound a week?
  • Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I Think If You Can Continue To Lose 1lb /Week At 1500 Calories Than Do It! Why Not Lose At 1500? That's More Food, And I'm All About MORE FOOD LOL..
    If You Want To Start Adding Resistance Training Which I Think Is A Great Idea, You'll Naturally Start Toning And Maintaining Muscle.. It Will Also Help Speed Up Your Weight Loss.. 1-2 lbs A Week Is The Perfect Rate For Dropping Weight And Being Able To Sustain..
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I lost on 1600 (not eating back exercise calories). I was 34, 5'5". I was active/exercising at least an hour a day though. Got from 213 to 133.

Try 1500, give it 5 weeks, and reassess.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight between 1400-1600, 41 and 5'5". Of course, my planned loss was 1/2lb per week for the last 2 months (1610-1560).

Currently I'm less than a lb from goal, eating around maintenance (1900-2200) and doing Strong Curves for strength training. Lifting will make you hungrier so make sure you're getting enough satiating foods (protein/fiber/fats). I aim for 100g minimum protein a day (but goal is approximately 130g), everything else I let happen, though I find more carbs on lifting days really helps (its only about 30-40g extra).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

This... use mfp...
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Try putting your info here and see what it says, as a cross-check against MFP's recommendation:

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    When I eat the calories given to me by MFP, weigh and log my food, exercise, and eat back some (but not all) of my exercise calories, my average weight loss over time matches the weekly weight loss goal I set.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I agree with @Cchioles . More food is better, make sure your getting healthy protein and still watching the unnecessary sugars and fats.

I started doing weights 6 weeks ago and I'm loving the changes. I do low weight and med weight days (no heavy yet- recovering from nerve surgery). Free weights are my favorite. Folks in there are very helpful.

Congratulations on your loss! Sounds like you have a good handle on it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

This.

@Nightmare_Queen88, good job!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

This... use mfp...

I'm all about MFP. Mine says to eat 1200/day at losing half a pound a week. While that's fine if I'm eatting back running calories, but right now I'm essentially sedentary. Some times it takes a little human tweaking.

But a a good rule- yes MFP calculated calorie intake is a good start.
  • alexpn
    alexpn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Well done on your efforts. Just a side comment - if you're doing a lot of exercise against lower than needed protein intake, I would instantly try and deal with that as a priority in your food. Decent protein is central to sparing your muscles and repairing them after your exercise.

Use the calorie calculator mentioned above to get a proper daily calorie requirement figure based on your age, height and activity levels, when you have a figure for your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) take 500 off that to create your deficit level for a pound loss a week (7x500 calories=3,500 cals / 1 pound of fat) - this is really all you need to do. (Sorry if you already know this)

Start high, don't dick about with changing calorie levels every week, the body needs time to change!
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
    Options

A little over 1800 I believe. But it set my macros way too high in my opinion. I don't typically go over 130g of either protein or carbs. Plus I thought at 1500 I could still aim for a lb a week.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Options
    alexpn wrote: »
    Well done on your efforts. Just a side comment - if you're doing a lot of exercise against lower than needed protein intake, I would instantly try and deal with that as a priority in your food. Decent protein is central to sparing your muscles and repairing them after your exercise.

Use the calorie calculator mentioned above to get a proper daily calorie requirement figure based on your age, height and activity levels, when you have a figure for your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) take 500 off that to create your deficit level for a pound loss a week (7x500 calories=3,500 cals / 1 pound of fat) - this is really all you need to do. (Sorry if you already know this)

Start high, don't dick about with changing calorie levels every week, the body needs time to change!

I'll have to check that out. I don't want to raise my deficit too much though so I don't gain or hit a plateau.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I agree with @Cchioles . More food is better, make sure your getting healthy protein and still watching the unnecessary sugars and fats.

I started doing weights 6 weeks ago and I'm loving the changes. I do low weight and med weight days (no heavy yet- recovering from nerve surgery). Free weights are my favorite. Folks in there are very helpful.

Congratulations on your loss! Sounds like you have a good handle on it.

Yeah I want to start small with weights as well and gradually increase every couple of weeks or so.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I lost on 1600 (not eating back exercise calories). I was 34, 5'5". I was active/exercising at least an hour a day though. Got from 213 to 133.

Try 1500, give it 5 weeks, and reassess.

I think I'll give 1500 a shot. After all I only have 57 lbs to left to lose. Once I only have 20 left I'll readjust so I'm only losing .5 lb a week.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,950 Member
    Options
    I agree with alexpn. Get that protein up. Almost everyone who has a lot of weight to lose is going to lose fat and muscle so don't get anxious and fearful about losing muscle. It's normal to do so in weight loss. Protein is the one macro you really want to hit or exceed daily, though.

Eating as much as possible while still losing weight and feeling good is winning! If MFP says you can eat 1800 to lose one pound a week, then I would say you could easily eat 1600-1700. You'll feel so much better and be much more likely to stick to it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

A little over 1800 I believe. But it set my macros way too high in my opinion. I don't typically go over 130g of either protein or carbs. Plus I thought at 1500 I could still aim for a lb a week.

If plan to eat 1500 a day your deficit is still a bit aggressive for your goals if MFP gave you 1800 to loose 1 pound a week.

So are you saying no matter what you do not want to eat more than 130 gr of protein and carbs a day and up your fats to reach 1800 calories?
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

If plan to eat 1500 a day your deficit is still a bit aggressive for your goals if MFP gave you 1800 to loose 1 pound a week.

So are you saying no matter what you do not want to eat more than 130 gr of protein and carbs a day and up your fats to reach 1800 calories?

No I'd rather not go over 130g. I typically don't anyways even if I don't pay attention to my macros. And if 1500 is still too low then I'll reassess in a week or two.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Options
    I agree with alexpn. Get that protein up. Almost everyone who has a lot of weight to lose is going to lose fat and muscle so don't get anxious and fearful about losing muscle. It's normal to do so in weight loss. Protein is the one macro you really want to hit or exceed daily, though.

Eating as much as possible while still losing weight and feeling good is winning! If MFP says you can eat 1800 to lose one pound a week, then I would say you could easily eat 1600-1700. You'll feel so much better and be much more likely to stick to it.

I thought we were suppose to get .8 lbs of protein per kg of our weight. For me that's under 100g. At least that's what I keep reading online.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Options

Sorry I meant .8 grams not pounds. Lol.