1 gallon of water in a day?

Options
lstnlondry
lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
I went for a hefty hike this morning and bought a Crystal Geyser 1 gallon jug of water. I just read online that it's about 16 8oz servings.....if I drink all will it affect my weight in the morning? safe to do? I thought I read somewhere that you should have 2 quarts a day but what do you think??

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I drink 16-24 glasses of water everyday or in between 4-7 liters a day and it never affects me negatively. water is good for you.
  • HungryMom
    HungryMom Posts: 280
    Options
    FWIW I had a doctor tell me that the 8 glasses a day is not enough. He said to take your weight and divide it in half. This is the number of ounces of water you should drink every day. So if you weigh 200 pounds you should drink 100 ounces (more than 12 cups a day).
  • notevenpretty20
    Options
    Too much of anything is poison. People die drinking too much water, google it.
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I think a gallon of water a day is not good -- especially if you're not sweating it off. I don't understand how people manage that much water. It would consume your day just drinking water.
  • SoFLYFireman
    SoFLYFireman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    there is no harmful amount of water as long as its not at once.. I used to drink a gallon a day. To flush your toxins out, I shoot for an oz./lb. of body weight so if you weigh 120lbs, id shoot for 120 oz
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    8 glasses a day is fine unless you're sweating a lot. When you pee, it should be very light, almost clear.
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    You would have to drink about 6 to 8 gallons of water in one day for it to be a problem! I usually drink at least 14 glasses (8oz servings) No, it won't affect your weight negatively. Actually it's very good for helping with getting rid of excess fluid and waste! So... drink up!
  • cmduncan
    cmduncan Posts: 69
    Options
    FWIW I had a doctor tell me that the 8 glasses a day is not enough. He said to take your weight and divide it in half. This is the number of ounces of water you should drink every day. So if you weigh 200 pounds you should drink 100 ounces (more than 12 cups a day).

I didn't hear this from a Doctor - but was advised by a good friend and fitness mentor to follow this rule. It's do able over the course of a day and I definitely feel better when I've had more water.
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I probably drank that much water today. Its hot and humid in Houston. I exercise outdoors. Today included jogging, biking, gardening and washing my car. You should drink what you feel your body needs.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    As long as you're sweating, peeing, and not drinking it like, ALL AT ONCE, you should be fine. I aim for 120 oz. per day.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    if I drink all will it affect my weight in the morning?

I drink a minimum of 1 gallon per day, which doesn't include my 1-2litre/day milk habit. I'm a thirsty, thirsty person. It shouldn't affect the scale (unless you drink it immediately before hoping on) because drinking a good amount of water lets your body dump what it doesn't need (ie. you will not retain water).
  • fabulousfebe
    fabulousfebe Posts: 204
    Options
    research suggest you drink 1/2 your body weight in water. :drinker:
  • RoseCoreling
    RoseCoreling Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think a gallon of water a day is not good -- especially if you're not sweating it off. I don't understand how people manage that much water. It would consume your day just drinking water.
    I drink more than a gallon a day and I manage just fine!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I live in the desert and we hear all of the time how important it is to drink water in the summer here. However, water flushes electrolytes out of your body when you drink too much of it. I can tell you that your body can safely process one liter of water every hour. You should never drink more than that unless you're doing it to replace lost water and then not without food and/or additional electrolytes to replace what you're flushing out. If you're going on a 4 hour hike, one gallon is fine, but you should take along some snacks, as well, so you don't cause an electrolyte imbalance.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options

I had a nutritionist tell me 1 8oz glass of water for every 25 lbs of body weight is just fine.

her doctor my nutritionist who knows?

does this help?
    http://www.aakp.org/newsletters/KB--Electronic-Newsletter/February-2008/Too-Much-Water/

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill
  • MuchMovement
    MuchMovement Posts: 100
    Options
    I recommend drinking at least a gallon a day! 8 glasses is bare minimum.

We are made of fluids
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Drinking excessive amounts of water (1 gallon +) is only hazardous if you are not replenishing vitamins and minerals, namely sodium in your muscles (Hyponatremia -diluting the sodium from your muscles). So unless you try to drink 1 gallon or more in one setting, without eating during the drink, you run little risk of getting into trouble. Spread throughout the day is perfectly fine.

Hyponatremia mainly affects endurance athletes (marathoners and such) who do not replenish their minerals.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I went for a hefty hike this morning and bought a Crystal Geyser 1 gallon jug of water. I just read online that it's about 16 8oz servings.....if I drink all will it affect my weight in the morning? safe to do? I thought I read somewhere that you should have 2 quarts a day but what do you think??

Back in the 90s, I hiked the North Kaibab trail at Grand Canyon. The park recommended a minimum of 1 gallon per person, per day. That's always been sort of my rule of thumb when hiking strenuously.

Kris
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    i had a trainer tell me to do that and in between that and a few other things, it broke a two-months-long plateau. the only way you can hurt yourself drinking too much water (i think they call it hydrotoxemia or something) is if you drink and DON'T pee. as far as the weight tomorrow morning, don't even think twice about it. you might even have lost because you really helped your system flush a bunch of junk out.
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. full article is about "people dying from too much water"

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm