The Diamond Challenge: Round 3 - Wk 3 (DITR

Options

Replies

• miss_jamaica
    miss_jamaica Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    ...it took a lot of stress and miserableness (if that's a word :wink: ) out of weight loss.

It's a word to me! Lol
  • michelle_eiz
    michelle_eiz Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    QOTD Friday: What is the worst diet/weight-loss/exercise advice you have ever gotten?

DIET PILLS!!!!
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    QOTD Friday: What is the worst diet/weight-loss/exercise advice you have ever gotten?

Herbal supplements for weight loss from my sister in law - tried them 1 day and was so jittery I could barely even function (they were almost all caffeine!)
  • brknllama
    brknllama Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    OK, so Friday is my turn for the QOTD, and I am going to go ahead and post it tonight so I don't forget!!

The worst advice I ever got from someone was to just stop eating for a week and "reboot" my body. Then when I start eating again just eat 2 meals a day. How in the world would this possibly work? And how is it even close to being healthy? LOL Let's just say I did not follow this advice...at all....ever....LOL

i would probably say the whole fad of the acai berry supplement i actually bought it once (only paid like 10$ for but still) other than that i really haven't gotten really that bad advice
  • ElleJay221
    ElleJay221 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    OK, so Friday is my turn for the QOTD, and I am going to go ahead and post it tonight so I don't forget!!

Well, considering I think I have tried every stupid "diet" out there - yup on the cabbage soup (eww!)...yup on the Master Cleanse (what was I thinking???!!??)...yup on the diet pills - I would say 90% of the diet/weightloss advice has been bad! But I would have to chalk up the worst advice to the fact that people told me to diet before I even reached my teens. I was not obese. I was not even as heavy as the majority of young people today. I really wish the word "diet" was not in our vocabulary, but rather the term "healthy lifestyle" is used....especially when it comes to young people...especially when I think back to all the unhealthy things I tried while "dieting".....
  • kkmark
    kkmark Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    OK - I'm sure I'm not the only person who ever tried the cabbage soup all-the-time and only cabbage soup diet. I couldn't even stand to be in the same room as me :blushing: :laugh: :sad: :embarassed:
    Kristin i am right thr with you its not anyone who adviced me but i checked online and did it for a week n gained more weight than i was :noway:

Yes we can do this Go diamonds and Blue team

Kathy
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hello Diamonds, sorry I've been MIA I'm still on vacation. I will be back to business Sunday. Congrats to all the biggest loser this week. Keep up the great work.

QOTD's

Wednesday - My kitchen and bath scales keep me in check.

Thursday - Worst purchase was a 2003 used Nissan Murano. Just a bad deal.

Friday - Long term fasting everytime I try this I end up binging afterward.
  • majpal
    majpal Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Friday QOTD ~ The worst weight loss advice someone has given me is to have gastic bypass surgery. It works great for some people, but I know that I am better off exercising and eating healthy to lose weight.
  • miss_jamaica
    Options

Herbal supplements for weight loss from my sister in law - tried them 1 day and was so jittery I could barely even function (they were almost all caffeine!)

Oh yeah, how could I forget about those! I took something similar and it felt like I was on drugs! TOTAL jitters.
  • momogogo
    momogogo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Qotd rreponse Thursday..... the worst advice is probably getting ephedra from a d
    octor about 20 years ago.
    Qotd response for Friday...... my worst purchase would have to be all of the fast food I have EVER bought.
  • momogogo
    momogogo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    QOTD SATURDAY....... What makes you tick? What motivates you? What makes you get off your booty and do THIS?

- For me it is many things. I dont have just one key ingredient that motivates me. I can say my kid's, my husband, my family medical history. But I think something finally just clicked! DO I WANT TO SPEND THE REST OF MY LIFE TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT? Heck no!!!!!!!! SO I started off on my final journey to weight loss and a wonderful satisfying life of maintaining, or just living......... I am 15lbs away from where I want to be and I am pusing to get there by mid August. 40 years old and living 30 of them in a struggle will propel me into the next 40 years being happy with who and what I am .
  • HungryMom
    HungryMom Posts: 280
    Options
    QOTD SATURDAY....... What makes you tick? What motivates you? What makes you get off your booty and do THIS?

A few people have asked me this, and I didn't have an answer. I have needed to lose this weight for years, but for some reason now is the time.My first thought is being more active with my kids and to set a better example for them, but if that was my motivation why didn't I do this when they were born? I am beginning to believe it is all about rediscovering myself. With each loss over the last 15 years I have lost bits of myself. I lost my father and a dear friend, had two miscarriages, and gave up my Master's and my career to move with my husband. I didn't know who I was or what to do with my time other than being a mom. Last year I made a commitment to find time for myself. I made friends, went out without the kids, and developed hobbies other than eating. This year that new found self is shedding the fat so the outside matches the inside-- happy and healthy.
  • miss_jamaica
    Options

Not being in the shape I want to be in reminds me of having on an outfit I don't like... EVERY DAY! I'm just SO ready to look in the mirror and say, "Yes, this is the body I would like to wear today... now let me pick out some shoes!" So, what makes me tick is looking in the mirror and not seeing the reflection I want to see. That's what makes me scramble those egg whites, go for that run, and keep striving... in hopes of one day meeting my reflection with a wink and a smile!

wink.jpg
  • TwinMom12409
    Options
    QOTD Thursday: What is the worst purchase you have ever made?

My husband and I joined Direct Buy. It was the worst decision we ever made and I am so mad because everything is still pretty expensive on a newlywed budget and we only purchased cribs and mattresses for our twins from there. So, we got 2 cribs, 2 mattresses and that's it for the BARGAIN price of $5,000+ once you figure in membership. EPIC FAIL in the purchasing department!!!

I have done or tried every hair brained idea when it comes to weight loss. I wish I would have not tried any of them because back in high school when I was convinced I was REALLY fat I was actually just right and all the years of starving, puking, exercising compulsively, 500 calorie-a-day diets have left my metabolism a mess!

I am not sure what motivates me because I go back and forth with myself every day. Some days I manage to convince myself that I am worth it. Other days, I come here and read all your posts and think that I am glad I am not alone and I keep plugging away.
  • ElleJay221
    ElleJay221 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Being healthier for my children is what made me start on this journey. I believe that was why I came in with the thought that this time was going to be different. But I also found the last few months wanting to show others that I was more than just the "fat girl" - I could do this....maybe even a need to prove it to myself?
  • KPstartingover
    KPstartingover Posts: 268 Member
    Options

First of all, I have to say that I love all 5 previous posts on this question. You ladies said it so well that I'd like to ditto all of you. I will just add that often what motivates me now is that success breeds success. I have lost 18 lbs, and I feel somewhat successful right now. That loss is motivating me to keep going. I LOVE the satisfaction of being able to say, " oh yeah, I've lost 18 lbs since March" when someone says I look good. And anyone who has ever tried to lose weight knows exactly how hard it is (rigth ladies?). I would love to get to the point that I am not trying to lose weight any more - hasn't really happened in my adult life yet.
  • nikkiws
    nikkiws Posts: 164
    Options
    Oh ladies, I am so so sorry I am seriously behind on the QOTD this week.

QOTD Thursday: Worst purchase for me was probably my first car, the immobiliser was always getting stuck on at junctions so some stupid mechanic installed an override button near the engine. It would get stuck then I would have to pop the bonnet and do the walk of shame to press a button, whilst queues of traffic formed behind me!

QOTD Friday: Worst diet advice was at uni.... just take lots of speed (amphetamines) and you will soon lose weight, hmmm, ironic as I am now a drug counselor!!

QOTD Saturday: Hmmmm, I think my faith and my family and friends are my biggest motivation, I want to be healthy and happy for them and look after the body that God gave me.

Happy Saturday everyone xx
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options

Wow - I'll agree - answers so far have been amazing.

Like many, I've struggled with my weight going on 20 years and tried many things and tried it for many reasons, probably the biggest being I know I need to lose weight to be healthy... That said, just that has not been enough for me. My husband has a rare, progresive liver disease and while he has been pretty stable with treatment over the past 5 years, there are still some ups and downs. And this year, he's starting to have increased symptoms. This is something we have no control over; but my weight is something I can take control over and do something about. I've also finally realized that exercise not only makes me feel better, but gives me a great stress release from work, family, etc. I've set some very specific exercise goals to keep me going - running (not walking) a half marathon in September is one of those, and the trainer I'm working with is strongly suggesting I push to a full marathon next year... While that thought is daunting, I'm finding there are many things I can do now that I did not think were possible physically and I find I can do more almost every week, which really keeps the motivation up there!
  • countryrose7
    countryrose7 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    QOTD Saturday---What motivates you?

My children. I want to be able to play and run and ride bikes for however long they want to and not have to take a break because I can't keep up. I want to be able to take them to the roller coaster and ride with them without worrying about whether I fit in the seat.
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options

Well, what first started me out on this was seeing that dreaded number on the scale at the doctor. I knew I was over 200 pounds, but 226??? WOW. I always swore to myself in high school I would ever get over 200. I was always around 180 in high school. Even then I wanted to lose some weight, but just never did. What first got me started was I was supposed to get married (long story and I am now single). I wanted to look good in my dress. I was also tired of not being able to fit into a pair of pants from my favorite store. They did not sell anything over a size 14. Something just clicked one day, and I said, "I can do this!" "I want to do this!" "I need to do this!" So I started last year around September (my birthday) and joined this site around February I think. I have reached my high school weight now, and I cannot wait to reach my final goal weight. I want to get into a bikini next summer!!!!!!