5 Reasons You're not losing weight

Options
Will Owens generally good advice on the MFP blog as to why you might not be losing weight contained this comment.
"Unfortunately, most people don’t usually realize their gut isn’t functioning properly until it’s too late. But there are steps you can take to help prevent any malfunctions: ... minimize the consumption of legumes, grains, sugar and pastured dairy, and chew your food until it’s mush before swallowing."
I think this is pretty reckless advice. It seems to be advising an unbalanced diet - how could that possibly help the gut? Legumes, grains and dairy aid digestion providing fibre and fat.
Comments please.

Replies

• Spacewitch88
    Spacewitch88 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    On "slow chewing": Actually easier on your digestion.
    Afaik, your brain needs 20 minutes to figure out you're full. Eating slow can also save you from overeating.

Btw, that quote sounds like Paleo.
    Actually worked for me but only because I'm suffering from some food intolerances so no wonder there, LOL.
    A thing that's quite true: if your digestion isn't healthy then you're not healthy. BUT every person is different and if you want to fix your digestion (should you need to) you have to figure out what works for yourself.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    z4oslo wrote: »
    .. and chewing all your food to a mush sound like symptoms of an eating disorder, not a legitimate weightloss method.

That is quite the opposite of a eating disorder. Stuffing your face as fast as you can (like most overweight people do) is however closer to beeing a disorder.

eating slow, and chew your food properly is the easiest way to lose weight, as it will prevent overeating.

This is not easiest way to loose weight. Eating slower and chewing food till its in a form to be naturally swallowed and ingested is a normal process of eating. But certainly "inhaling" food fast is not gonna do a thing but get that food into your gut faster. It won't help you loose weight better or faster.

OP the owner of this blog is certainly trying to force "my way is better than you way" tactics and promote fear mongering. When reading stuff of this nature, the reader can take it or leave it.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Loads of wise words above. I agree, the only way to lose weight is to reduce calories. The only way to remain healthy while doing so is to eat as wide a variety of foods as possible.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    I assume he's a paleoist.

I prefer to just ignore these extreme fundamentalists.

I think you assumed incorrectly, based on this quote from the About portion his website: "Eating well does not mean starving yourself, depriving yourself of certain foods, or never eating the the stuff you really enjoy (cookies, ice cream, pizza etc)."
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I agree, B/S advice quite frankly
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    PennWalker wrote: »
    .. and chewing all your food to a mush sound like symptoms of an eating disorder, not a legitimate weightloss method.

That is quite the opposite of a eating disorder. Stuffing your face as fast as you can (like most overweight people do) is however closer to beeing a disorder.

eating slow, and chew your food properly is the easiest way to lose weight, as it will prevent overeating.

I agree that eating slowly is better than racing through your meal.

I definitely don't agree with Will Owens about legumes.

Legumes from the Mayo Clinic:

Legumes — a class of vegetables that includes beans, peas and lentils — are among the most versatile and nutritious foods available. Legumes are typically low in fat, contain no cholesterol, and are high in folate, potassium, iron and magnesium. They also contain beneficial fats and soluble and insoluble fiber.
    Beans and other legumes: Cooking tips - Mayo Clinic
    www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition.../legumes/art-20044278Mayo Clinic

Lentils: 1 cup has the protein of 3 eggs.

I love lentils.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

@z4oslo Overeating isn't the only eating disorder btw. Some anorexics eat slower than molasses and chew everything a million times
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    Will Owens generally good advice on the MFP blog as to why you might not be losing weight contained this comment.
    "Unfortunately, most people don’t usually realize their gut isn’t functioning properly until it’s too late. But there are steps you can take to help prevent any malfunctions: ... minimize the consumption of legumes, grains, sugar and pastured dairy, and chew your food until it’s mush before swallowing."
    I think this is pretty reckless advice. It seems to be advising an unbalanced diet - how could that possibly help the gut? Legumes, grains and dairy aid digestion providing fibre and fat.
    Comments please.

I don't think he is advocating an unbalanced diet, just suggesting that eating too much of certain foods may be causing changes in the intestinal flora which could be causing someone issues. This study seems to review different foods and their impacts, didn't get to read the whole thing, but they do clarify that the existing research isn't comprehensive enough and more research is needed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4318938/
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

I don't think he is advocating an unbalanced diet, just suggesting that eating too much of certain foods may be causing changes in the intestinal flora which could be causing someone issues.

No, he didn't say "someone," he said "most people." BIG difference.

Needless woo-filled fearmongering at its finest.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    How do you chew ice cream slowly? :D

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Isn't that "pastured dairy"? It's going to unbalance your gut.