Plant based nutrition and weight loss

Options

Replies

• stylistchicky
    stylistchicky Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Okay....well I am out. I should have known better to say anything even in a PLANT BASED NUTRITION FEED about milk. Fine...drink your milk. I dont care. I was addressing a plant based human. AGAIN the hormones in milk make MY hormone fed "disease" worse in pain, swelling and tumor growth. As others stated anyone can find anything to support either side. We learned how to do this in debate class in high school.
    I transitioned a year ago....so did my then husband. We BOTH noticed significant changes.. he is a bodybuilder and leaned out...big time. My mom gave up dairy and lost weight and her tummy pooch. My CANCER doctors at the Mayo Clinic advise not to eat dairy. They are the best in the country...and have thousands of patients that turned away from dairy and only found benefits. These are our experiences with a non dairy lifestyle.
    By all means if you are offended by people having health benefits from giving up dairy....take a milk bath, while drinking a milkshake and eating a pizza with extra cheese, followed by a milk enema so you can have dairy coming out of your pores. I don't care. Do it and be blessed by it. Get dairy swole!

Ever hear of the "appeal to authority" fallacy? This is a really clear example.

I never claimed to be the authority on the subject. Where is the proof of such claim?

"An Appeal to Authority is a fallacy with the following form: Person A is (claimed to be) an authority on subject S. Person A makes claim C about subject S. Therefore, C is true."

By saying that your doctor (and trying to make your doctor seem like an expert so they must be right) you are attempting to appeal to authority.

Edit-typo

I know what the term means. I tend to trust my doctors at the Mayo Clinic as a reputable source...considering he is a expert on the affects of unnecessary hormones in the body. I am coming from my experience, my ex husband, thousands of other patience of the Mayo Clinic, friends and family as reference in my life. If you can't handle that...then I don't know what to tell you. There is definitely an addiction to dairy in the American Standard diet that is unexplainable really. The only way you can know, is if you try it yourself. I suggest it...but I am literally a nobody on a message board who has had major health benefits from abstaining from dairy.
    Like I said....drink milk straight from the cows tit for all I care. I was speaking directly too a fellow plant based diet person. I am going to enjoy a plant based dinner with family and friends now. Have a great evening and many blessings on your journey to become more healthy and fit...however you feel is best for your body.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Okay....well I am out. I should have known better to say anything even in a PLANT BASED NUTRITION FEED about milk. Fine...drink your milk. I dont care. I was addressing a plant based human. AGAIN the hormones in milk make MY hormone fed "disease" worse in pain, swelling and tumor growth. As others stated anyone can find anything to support either side. We learned how to do this in debate class in high school.
    I transitioned a year ago....so did my then husband. We BOTH noticed significant changes.. he is a bodybuilder and leaned out...big time. My mom gave up dairy and lost weight and her tummy pooch. My CANCER doctors at the Mayo Clinic advise not to eat dairy. They are the best in the country...and have thousands of patients that turned away from dairy and only found benefits. These are our experiences with a non dairy lifestyle.
    By all means if you are offended by people having health benefits from giving up dairy....take a milk bath, while drinking a milkshake and eating a pizza with extra cheese, followed by a milk enema so you can have dairy coming out of your pores. I don't care. Do it and be blessed by it. Get dairy swole!

I never claimed to be the authority on the subject. Where is the proof of such claim?

"An Appeal to Authority is a fallacy with the following form: Person A is (claimed to be) an authority on subject S. Person A makes claim C about subject S. Therefore, C is true."

By saying that your doctor (and trying to make your doctor seem like an expert so they must be right) you are attempting to appeal to authority.

Edit-typo

I know what the term means. I tend to trust my doctors at the Mayo Clinic as a reputable source...considering he is a expert on the affects of unnecessary hormones in the body. I am coming from my experience, my ex husband, thousands of other patience of the Mayo Clinic, friends and family as reference in my life. If you can't handle that...then I don't know what to tell you. There is definitely an addiction to dairy in the American Standard diet that is unexplainable really. The only way you can know, is if you try it yourself. I suggest it...but I am literally a nobody on a message board who has had major health benefits from abstaining from dairy.
    Like I said....drink milk straight from the cows tit for all I care. I was speaking directly too a fellow plant based diet person. I am going to enjoy a plant based dinner with family and friends now. Have a great evening and many blessings on your journey to become more healthy and fit...however you feel is best for your body.

For what it's worth, my late husband's oncologists (cancer doctors) told him his lifelong, heavy dairy use may have contributed to his prostate cancer -- and they also told him to stop all dairy.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Edit-typo

If you knew what it meant, why did you say you didn't try to appeal to authority? And yet you are still doing it and trying to say X amount of people agree with you so it must be right...

Dairy is not an addiction, that is ridiculous.

• PublicBiker
    PublicBiker Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I am trying to lose weight, while cleaning up my diet to be pretty much plant-based. This has not been an overnight process, but the result of modifications over a few years.

Now, I have cut back to 1200 calories, in an effort to reduce my weight. The big dilemma I am facing is protein intake. Even with a vegan protein shake per day as supplementation, I am consistently running short of protein. My goal is set to 80 grams. Even with the addition of legumes (do I really have to eat them every day?), or non-fat plain Greek yogurt (I know....), I can't manage. I don't eat soy, as I am over 50, and don't want to mess with my hormones. It is beginning to hamper my exercise tolerance, as I feel a bit weak.

Thoughts anyone?

I am so sorry I mentioned anything about dairy. Your feed got hijacked by the milk industry's biggest fans. Again I am sorry. If you want to start another plant based topic I promise not to mention dairy. It was rather interesting...I even got a few ideas to try. :)

There is no need for an apology. This is the internet, and I am taking the info that could work for me, while reading the rest for information value. I work in oncology, and understand how animal-based foods may impact a person trying to manage or heal themselves.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I don't eat dairy btw as I have lactose intolerance and Crohn's.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    PennWalker wrote: »

Edit-typo

For what it's worth, my late husband's oncologists (cancer doctors) told him his lifelong, heavy dairy use may have contributed to his prostate cancer -- and they also told him to stop all dairy.

High calcium intake (not just dairy) is implicated in prostate cancer, so that makes sense. On the other hand, it is associated in a beneficial way with some other cancers, for example colon cancer. Here's one of many sources, from a generally dairy-skeptical (in part due to sat fat) source in general:

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/calcium-full-story/#calcium-from-milk
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Edit-typo

High calcium intake (not just dairy) is implicated in prostate cancer, so that makes sense. On the other hand, it is associated in a beneficial way with some other cancers, for example colon cancer. Here's one of many sources, from a generally dairy-skeptical (in part due to sat fat) source in general:

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/calcium-full-story/#calcium-from-milk

Thanks for the link, but my husband's case wasn't about too much calcium from dairy. His doctors actually put him on a calcium supplement after his cancer spread to his bones. I shouldn't have posted on this topic -- too painful for me, so I won't be coming back.
  • lemurcat12
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Oh, I didn't notice you'd said late husband. I'm very sorry for your loss.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your lose
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I am mostly plant based...NO DAIRY. Did you know humans should not consume dairy products? That aside milk has more hormonal side effects than soy IMO. I have a disorder that is forever progressive, especially with extra estrogen present in my system. Giving up dairy products has almost completely helped that situation. Less pain and tumor growth has shrunk and less swelling in said tumors. I eat Silk soy yogurt 2 or 3 times a week and it doesn't bother me...cashew milk for shakes. There is nut milk yogurt that I will switch to if the soy becomes a problem. Have you tried Almond yogurt?
    Try researching dairy and hormones. Did you know humans are the only species to drink milk once weaned from mom.
    The Silk Yogurt is NON GMO certified, (some flavors may not be though) which is more strict than USDA Organic.
    BTW to the person that said "soy is ok...no research shows soy to be a problem."
    98% of Soy in the US is GMO. Soy indeed does produce estrogen in the body and men should stay away from it. My doctors at the Mayo Clinic informed me of this. Although as stated above I am starting to believe dairy is worse....its loaded with hormones.

What a load of nonsense, most animals will drink milk given a chance, they just can't process it to do so. We can.

Can you provide links to some of the "Research" you have read on this as I'm being honest here, I've not seen or read any?

What do you mean "we can"? Most people are lactose intolerant to a degree, only few people can process it. It's natural for that ability to go away after infancy.

Source for that?

Look it up. Try www.google.com you can find tons of info on just about anything.

You were the one who made the claim, so you should be able to cite your source, unless that source doesn't exist and you just made it up.

Also-while Google is great for somethings, research is not one of them.
    I am mostly plant based...NO DAIRY. Did you know humans should not consume dairy products? That aside milk has more hormonal side effects than soy IMO. I have a disorder that is forever progressive, especially with extra estrogen present in my system. Giving up dairy products has almost completely helped that situation. Less pain and tumor growth has shrunk and less swelling in said tumors. I eat Silk soy yogurt 2 or 3 times a week and it doesn't bother me...cashew milk for shakes. There is nut milk yogurt that I will switch to if the soy becomes a problem. Have you tried Almond yogurt?
    Try researching dairy and hormones. Did you know humans are the only species to drink milk once weaned from mom.
    The Silk Yogurt is NON GMO certified, (some flavors may not be though) which is more strict than USDA Organic.
    BTW to the person that said "soy is ok...no research shows soy to be a problem."
    98% of Soy in the US is GMO. Soy indeed does produce estrogen in the body and men should stay away from it. My doctors at the Mayo Clinic informed me of this. Although as stated above I am starting to believe dairy is worse....its loaded with hormones.

What a load of nonsense, most animals will drink milk given a chance, they just can't process it to do so. We can.

Can you provide links to some of the "Research" you have read on this as I'm being honest here, I've not seen or read any?

What do you mean "we can"? Most people are lactose intolerant to a degree, only few people can process it. It's natural for that ability to go away after infancy.

I meant process the milk as in milk a cow/goat/sheep etc.

But your claim is interesting, where did you read that most of the human population is lactose intolerant?

Go to google and just type in humans and lactose intolerence. You'll find lots of sources. Take your pick.

I could google aliens living among us and find a ton of pages supporting that, it doesn't make it true. Google is not a reliable source for research.

I googled "are cats aliens" one night (that involved beer). That search was the best search of my life.

Great.... Now you have me googling it. Lol.
    http://messybeast.com/moggycat/cat-greeblings.htm

And

http://catalienconspiracy.com/

:innocent:
  • stylistchicky
    stylistchicky Posts: 561 Member
    Options

Edit-typo

I am so sorry for your loss dear.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

If i had to choose between avoiding soy or dairy, i would choose soy! It all depends on who or what you choose to believe..

• governatorkp
    governatorkp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The milk debate:

The problem is that there is little evidence of humans indeed generally not being lactose tolerant. Results are silenced by the government and hidden deep within the archives.

The whole milk industry is funded by the government and hard scientific evidence highlighting its negative impact would be disastrous for the industry.
    If you think about it, it only makes sense for the government to spread information that benefits its income, rather than allow threat-posing information to be spread.

Everyone knows consumer behaviour (much like international politics) is manipulated in multiple ways (advertising is one of them) - or need I link you to a government-funded research on that too? (There is none)

Thus, online you will not find (m)any good sources.
    As lazy as people are - telling others to prove their point and expecting to access information with the click of a button - this will need a trip to the library.

I advise you to read books such as this one https://www.amazon.com/Devil-Milk-Illness-Health-Politics/dp/1603581022

(Devil in the Milk by Keith Woodford - Professor of Farm Management and Agribusiness at Lincoln University in New Zealand)
  • governatorkp
    governatorkp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    ... "The ability to digest
    lactose during the period of breast-feeding is essential to the health of the infant as demonstrated by
    congenital lactase deficiency that is fatal if not recognized very early after birth. However, following the
    first few months of life, lactase activity starts to decrease (lactase non-persistence). In most humans, this
    activity declines following weaning to undetectable levels as a consequence of the normal maturational
    down-regulation of lactase expression [1]. The exceptions to this rule are the descendants of populations
    that traditionally practice cattle domestication maintain the ability to digest milk and other dairy products
    into adulthood. The frequency of this “lactase persistence trait” is high in northern European populations
    (>90% in Scandinavia and Holland), decreases in frequency across southern Europe and the Middle East
    (~50% in Spain, Italy and pastoralist Arab populations) and is low in Asia and most of Africa (~1% in
    Chinese, ~5%–20% in West African agriculturalists); although it is common in pastoralist populations
    from Africa (~90% in Tutsi, ~50% in Fulani)." ...

Source: Swallow, D.M. Genetics of lactase persistence and lactose intolerance. Ann. Rev. Genet. 2003, 37,
    197–219.

Referred to in Lactose Intolerance in Adults: Biological Mechanism and
    Dietary Management

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If the government is trying to cover up the ill effects of dairy in order to make money off of us, then what about countries with socialized medicine? Wouldn't those countries lose money if dairy were making people sick, and they would try to dissuade their citizens from ingesting it?

Or are they in on the conspiracy as well?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If the government is trying to cover up the ill effects of dairy in order to make money off of us, then what about countries with socialized medicine? Wouldn't those countries lose money if dairy were making people sick, and they would try to dissuade their citizens from ingesting it?

Or are they in on the conspiracy as well?

IIRC, the Canadian Dairy Commission which regulates the price of dairy is run by the government.
    e86ed57b4ee590f546767a1dd8f13a91.jpg
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I'm not really sure how the US gov't is making money from dairy, but beats taxes, I guess.

Also, I knew it was Obama's fault. It's always Obama.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    When I googled for "plant foods high in protein" it gave me this:

Quinoa. Protein: 8 grams per 1 cup serving, cooked. ...
    Buckwheat. Protein: 6 grams per 1 cup serving, cooked. ...
    Soy. Protein: 10 grams per ½ cup serving (firm tofu), 15 grams per ½ cup serving (tempeh), 15 grams per ½ cup serving (natto) ...
    Mycoprotein (Quorn) ...
    Rice and Beans. ...
    Ezekiel Bread. ...
    Seitan. ...
    Hummus and Pita.
    More items...
    Complete Proteins Vegetarians Need to Know About | Greatist
    greatist.com/health/complete-vegetarian-proteinsGreatist
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm not really sure how the US gov't is making money from dairy, but beats taxes, I guess.

Also, I knew it was Obama's fault. It's always Obama.

If dairy truly does make us sick, I would think the government would want us to have *less* of it because health care expenses are a huge part of our budget. Unless they somehow make money by spending it (this is probably phase II of the conspiracy theory).

Either way, you know Obama is behind it all.

Well, if you Google Image search "politicians drinking milk," there are none, so that must mean something is up:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=930&q=politicians+drinking+milk&oq=politicians+drinking+milk&gs_l=img.3...2208.6244.0.6489.25.19.0.6.3.0.132.2117.3j16.19.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..0.21.2032...0j0i30k1j0i5i30k1j0i8i30k1j0i24k1.auCzJCbLP9k

But here is a picture of Joe Biden eating ice cream:

qn7imbcl4st3.jpg

Obvious PR photo to get people to consume more dairy, though. He's rolling in all the cash that was made off of this one photo, I bet.
This discussion has been closed.