Terrified of working out in front of others

Options
I am absolutely terrified of working out in front of other people, even family. I won't even go swimming because I hate how my body looks. How do you cope when you hate other people looking at your body while working out?

Replies

• WorkingToBeSkinny
    Options
    I just don't like having all my fat on display. Hell, if I could get away with wearing an abaya as a non-Muslim, I would just for its ability to hide everything from the eyes of the world.

Once I am skinny, then yes, I will happily swim and work out in front of other humans. Until then, I can't summon up the courage to have my fat on display for exercising.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You can either deal with the self image stuff or you can exercise privately. My daughter, who has a pretty close to ideal shape, also hates having people look at her. It is hard to get her to go to the pool with us. If it wasn't such a thing in the media right now, I'd suggest she try a burkini.

Truth, people who go to the gym are much more in to their own bodies.

All I can think of with the self image stuff is to do an activity that gets you focused outside yourself. (No time to think about your jiggly bits).
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I realized that nobody cares. If anything, they'll commend you for wanting to get healthier.
    Truth.
  • stilltrusting
    stilltrusting Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do my thing. I've got plenty of fat to lose and muscle to gain. Everybody started somewhere.....even the gym-rat. Don't let it stress you. Get your toosh into the gym.

I've gotten to the point where I'll ask some of the muscle heads to explain why they're doing something (like using the padded grips on dumbbells) and they're always quite gracious and willing to help/explain.

Best wishes to you.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Don't tell yourself you can't do things because you aren't perfect. We can never be perfect anyway.

There are better things to value - being happy, healthy, having a great time, learning new things, getting better at a skill for the joy of doing it.
  • ShaneGonzalez91
    ShaneGonzalez91 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Dont really care what people think. Im there to exercise, and get healthier, fit and enjoy what i do.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My thought when I first started was that the fact I was fat and out of shape was immediately apparent by anybody taking a quick glance. Hiding away wasn't feasible since I had to go out to work, shop, etc. If people were going to see me anyway, I could choose to be either a fat/out of shape lady doing nothing to change that or a fat lady who was actively trying to change it. I don't think many people paid attention anyway but I told myself I'd rather be seen as the latter than the former.
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    When I first started going I felt that way. I was especially conscientious of my arms. I have ms and my arms look really weird. I know I will never have body builder arms but I just want them to not look so hideous. I'm slowly getting there. I even wore a short sleeved shirt last week! I'm taking it a day at a time. Hang in there!