September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,408 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I woke up this morning with no heel pain at all or even any stiffness in my Achilles! I was really surprised after my long run yesterday and how cranky it was all afternoon/evening. Since I was feeling great and it was SO beautiful out I decided I had to run, even if it was just a short, slow recovery run. I didn't want to pass up the beautiful cool morning. I decided to wear a pair of Asics instead of my Skoras as they have more cushion and a bit more drop (4mm vs 0). I think it was a good choice as my heel felt ok most of the run with some initial tightness in the Achilles that went away as I ran. Coming back I was stopped by a neighbor about 1.5 miles from home, who wanted to talk... after standing in one place for over 20 minutes my heel was very tight and then a bit sore. I made it home but am really making a point to stretch and walk on it frequently so it doesn't stiffen up again. I ordered the new shoes last night and am happy I did since wearing different shoes seems to be helping.

I will be back in a bit to read through and comment... from what I have seen it looks like lots of great running has happened this weekend!

Date.........Miles........Total
    09/01.......5.23.........5.23 + Strength training and Rally
    09/02.......4.67.........9.90 - SLOG Run
    09/03.......0.00.........9.90 - Rest
    09/04.....13.87.......23.77
    09/05.......5.75.......29.52 - Recovery because it was too lovely out not to go.

exercise.png

Upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    02/07/16 - Surf City Half Marathon
    02/20/16 - Divas Half Marathon - Temecula
    07/04/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
    08/21/16 - Tiki Beach 10k, Huntington Beach

09/18/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle
    11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!)
    12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    August Running Totals (miles)
    9/1 – 10.07 warmup + tempo intervals
    9/2 – 7.76 partial course preview
    9/3 – 3.80 easy 30 minutes
    9/4 – 15.44 warmup + Oak Tree Half
    9/5 – 4.52 easy 30 minutes + 4 strides

September total to date – 41.59

Nominal Challenge Goal – 200 miles
    Real Goals: Manage Rochester Marathon well as a race, recover quickly.

Today's notes – Got up this morning, and it was beautiful running weather. 58º F (14º C) and clear, really looked nice. So of course, I didn't run. I got breakfast, did my normal morning pull-ups and push-ups, played on the computer a bit, booked my hotel for Boston next April, and the next thing I knew it was lunch time.

I didn't get out until almost 4 PM, when it was 82º F (28º C). But at least it isn't as humid as it was for most of July and August. Today's assignment was 30 minutes easy plus 4 strides. Felt a bit creaky for the first half mile or so, then it felt normal. Managed to plan it pretty well to be at an informal distance marker (a.k.a. "fire hydrant") right at 30 minutes to start the first stride. There was no issue with running easy and no issue with running strides, so I guess I didn't beat myself up much running yesterday's half marathon.

Yes, this is the start of taper. If it weren't in taper, the plan would only say "easy plus 4 strides" and I'd interpret "easy" to be about 6 miles. Four and a half miles, including the strides, feels like a light assignment at this point. I may have to water down tomorrow's speed work in honor of having run Oak Tree yesterday; I'll talk to Coach about that.

Astute observers will notice that my 2016 race list got longer. I registered for Finish Strong before I ran Oak Tree, and registered for Scare Brain Cancer yesterday after running Oak Tree. These are the next 2 Rochester Runner of the Year races. I have won my age group in 3 RROY races, and I need to run 6 to have a shot at winning the age group for the series. I haven't registered for the Syracuse 5K on October 2, but I've verbally committed to the club that I will run it. The club will pay my entry fee, and I'll be able to car pool with other members. In return, I expect to help the club be competitive for the team awards in the SuperVet (60+) category.

Oh, yeah. A week from today is Boston registration. Hotel selection was better today than it was last year, when I didn't book a hotel until after I registered. That's a perk of qualifying by such a wide margin that I don't have to worry about a cut off. It's still expensive, but there's more to choose from.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) DNS - recovering from face plant
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:31:11
    August 13, 2016 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY) finished in 19:07 (5K PR)
    September 4, 2016 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY) finished in 1:31:37
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    October 2, 2016 USATF Masters 5K Championship (Syracuse, NY)
    October 15, 2016 Finish Strong 15K (Hilton, NY)
    October 22, 2016 Scare Brain Cancer Away 5K (East Rochester, NY)
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • 1TheQueenB
    1TheQueenB Posts: 377 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    sorry
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    1TheQueenB wrote: »

exercise.png

Finally got a run in! Felt Great and it's the longest I've run straight!

In another 2 months (or so) you will be hitting the 10 mile mark. ;)

Good work. Keep at it.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    9/5 - 3.3 miles
    Rather slow run. I've run 8 days in a row so I wanted to take it easy. Ran at about 5 pm and it was warm but not the oppressive humidity of the last couple of months. The next few days are going to approach 90 degrees though. Tomorrow night is speed work with the group, so I hope it's not too awful. I was starting to get used to this early fall thing.

Plugging away at September miles - at 22% of goal

exercise.png

@MobyCarp very impressive stuff! I may run the women's 5k race as part of the Festival of Races in Syracuse on Oct 2 also. Of course, I'm not concerned about trying to win any awards :) I've never run it but I used to live right on the course which was kind of fun - too bad I moved because that would be convenient!
  • merlinofchaos
    merlinofchaos Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    9/1 -- 3.25 miles
    9/5 -- 6.25 miles

9.5/50

The holiday weekend has my schedule off as I normally try to run Tue/Thu/Sat with an optional run on Sun if my legs are up for it. But with the holiday I got nothing on the weekend.

Made up for it by doing my first continuous 10K in a gorgeous hilly park after a lovely BBQ with friends. Will have to make time to go back and run this one again.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @7lenny7 I believe @kristinegift said it best Take a few more days off. Be cautious and reduce Km/Miles for a while. I Tore my Calf at the end of June ( there was an audible POP ) - 2 weeks of NADA as it would Twinge when I tried Power Walks. Then a month of short test runs, 1km, 2km, etc. Finally back to 8-10km. My pace is still off and if I push it I receive a warning Twitch that say's NO.

@Elise4270 Hope it starts to come around and Thanks for all your Cheering and Support from the Bench.

@livia89n Simple but effective run plan and Goal. Similar to how I started in this Group.

@sparklyglitterbomb No mocking here - we all started with modest goals and as we exceeded them just set a new Goal with a little more distance. Link up with @dowelahmed in a mini challenge since you seem to be at a similar place in your running with your first 5km recently completed.

@dowelahmed Your first 5k 62/199 :D ; 2nd in AG. As one the local Runners in our club (who is an inspiration and great motivator) would say, You are faster and better than you realize. Once you start doing some Events it becomes addictive trying to improve your technique and time.

@shanaber Glad to hear that different shoes in rotation seems to help. I now have 4 pairs in rotation ( don't ask what's in the Closet waiting). New Low km Mzuno, Middle Aged Medium km Mizumo, Low km Saucony and a pair of Saucony Trail Shoes. I think that variety in shoes and in drop ( 8m & 4m ) has helped me in recovering from injury, reduced injuries and Overall Confidence in my gear. When Winter Snow and Ice conditions arrive there will be a few changes.

Spent Most of the Labour Day Weekend at my Moms. She is downsizing and it was a Mega Garage Sale.
  • 1TheQueenB
    1TheQueenB Posts: 377 Member
    Options

In another 2 months (or so) you will be hitting the 10 mile mark. ;)

Good work. Keep at it. [/quote]

Thanks! Scary to think that!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    1 September 5.2km
    6 September 6.2km

Total 11.4km
    Goal 40km

I'm only a twice a week runner because I'm a five times a week swimmer lol.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    So the plan was to run 8 miles on Sunday....but only ran 6...still 6 was a good run. I had some technical difficulties. I packed a pair of shorts in my bag...I never run in shorts, but thought that it was easier to pack and no longer care who looks at me when I do my thing. The shorts were ok when I was walking but way too big when I started running. Undeterred I kept pulling them up during the whole run. I was still able to crank out a 10:30 pace for the first mile and averaged 11:20 despite having to run in place at a crosswalk on mile 2. I was running hard but not so hard that I was out of breath, and really picked up the pace at the end. The weather was cool with low humidity. I think that running in the hot weather really helped me. I hate the treadmill but may start using again due to the time it takes to drive to the park and back...an additional 30 minutes.
    We met with a realtor today...and she basically told us things that we already knew regarding getting our house ready to sell....paint, paint, and more paint. Still trying to get the trees trimmed...after the storms, it has been hard to get any tree service companies to respond to phone messages or e-mail.

I glanced at the other posts...5 pages behind....you guys are killing me with your discussion of hills. I think that we would have to import hills for flat Indy...there is a hill on the route that I usually run....a gentle incline...

9/1....4 miles
    9/4...6 miles

goal is 70.

Indianapolis Half Marathon 10/8/16
    One America Half Marathon 5/6/17
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    No running mileage since Saturday. Went out of town for the long weekend and just hiked :)

9/01 ..... 3.2
    9/02 ........... Rest
    9/03 ..... 3.3
    9/04 ........... Rest
    9/05 ........... Hiked 6 miles

Total according to Strava: 6.5

exercise.png

@katharmonic Thank you. Yes, my kids ran a few races. In fact, my "excuse" for making them run on Saturday was that we registered (which they agreed) to race again this Thanksgiving. 2 years ago, this race was the very first 5k I registered for before I started C25k. My 2 boys ran with me. Last year, our entire family race this with a few other families and we "practiced" on the actual race route together on Saturdays, and that's how we started this group running thing. Back then, the boys were enthusiastic about beating my race record (on another course) and I did not need to motivate them at all. Somewhere along the way, they lost interest. But yes, hopefully, this race will bring back some of the love :)

What the little kid did was really amazing, what a determined boy!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @dowelahmed Yay for completing your first 5K, and at parkrun to boot! Very happy for you.

1 September – 10.3 km
    2 September – 10.3 km
    3 September – 10.5 including parkrun 5K PB 26:46
    4 September – 18.1 km
    6 September – 10.2 km

Goal: 150 km
    Total: 59.3 km

Upcoming:
    September 18 – Beat the Blerch Virtual Half Marathon 21.1 km

Gorgeous morning this morning.

Didn't need my gloves for the first morning run since June. One of my Canadian friends needed gloves for the first time today. Playing glove tag!

It was extra nice today seeing the canola coming into flower for the year.

C1B1EACF-8E88-4F79-B049-F32BBF2D806F_zpsa1wjffao.jpg
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    @jodilynnsanders5104 that's a huge jump from 5km to 12km!!!! :open_mouth:
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    9/1: 4.3 miles
    9/2: Rest day
    9/3: 9.4 miles
    9/4: 5.7 miles
    9/5: 6 miles
    9/6: 6 miles

I usually don't run on Tuesdays, but with my thesis defense at 10 am I need to jolt my brain into action somehow! It was a little warm but not very humid, so it was a really pleasant run. Plus my calf wasn't tight, so even though I've run 4 days in a row (which I almost never do) it still feels good which makes me optimistic about my HM this weekend.

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    9/11: Lehigh Valley Health Network Via Half-Marathon
    10/8: Coe College Homecoming 5k
    10/16: Halloween Half-Marathon
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    I Tore my Calf at the end of June ( there was an audible POP ) - 2 weeks of NADA as it would Twinge when I tried Power Walks. Then a month of short test runs, 1km, 2km, etc. Finally back to 8-10km. My pace is still off and if I push it I receive a warning Twitch that say's NO.

@Elise4270 Hope it starts to come around and Thanks for all your Cheering and Support from the Bench.

Thanks for the encouragement. A few months ago I joined the cycling thread. I may have to be okay with giving up my 100% runner identity. #shakinoffthefunk. Spring race registration emails are killing me.

That calf injury sounds brutal. Glad it responded to rest and wasn't set on surgery.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My ankle seemed OK during my relatively easy 5k yesterday so thought I'd try for longer today, but it was having none of it and I noticed myself running a bit lopsided after about 2k to compensate so decided to stop rather than risk it getting worse. Going to take the next few days off running completely and reevaluate at the weekend.

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift - Good luck today!
    @dkabambe - Good idea to take off a few days! If you are running lopsided you definitely are going to injure something else. I have found that my biking/running foods are completely different. I eat a big breakfast before cycling and I eat/drink the whole time. On my Sunday ride I ate about 1000 calories while riding! With running I leave on an empty stomach and only eat/drink if I’m going more than an hour.

I can't seem to catch up in here!

It wasn't brutally hot this morning! It was low 70s and not very humid either! Wow, a glimpse of fall. It will still be in the 90s the rest of this week, but this morning was awesome!

9/1 - 4.8 miles
    9/2 - strength training
    9/3 - 34 miles biking
    9/4 - 100 KM biking (63 miles).
    9/5 - 45 miles biking
    9/6 - 4 miles recovery run

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando
  • ebonibabe1
    ebonibabe1 Posts: 108 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    exercise.png[img]So, I finally started this month. Better late than never. 1.92 miles :)[/img]