Breakdown :(

Options
So I just had an emotional breakdown in the drive through at Tim Hortons. My boyfriend wanted something to eat after work (he didn't like the healthy supper I had cooked) so I went with him for a drive and to get out of the house. As we were sitting there I noticed a sign for pumpkin spice muffins; my absolute favourite thing! I was so conflicted I wanted the muffin so bad but knew it was 9:00 at night and did not need this at that hour. I sat in the car crying with my boyfriend trying to comfort me asking if I wanted to just leave. I said I was fine and he could get whatever he wanted. I did my first weigh in today and have lost 7.1 lbs in a week and am overjoyed at what I've accomplished this far. I'm proud for not giving in, but I need to know, does it get easier having to say "no" to your favourite foods?!
Ps feel free to add me as a friend :)

Replies

• jubyak
    jubyak Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does get easier, but we all still get tempted, and heck, I give in to that temptation more than I should. Just remember to forgive yourself for being human if you do slip up, rejoice in small victories, and keep pushing forward. Congrats on the 7.1 pounds! That's definitely something to be proud of. Sculptures are not carved in a single day, and neither is your body.

Also remember that you're trying to change your life, not just temporarily change your body. So don't permanently deprive yourself. You can treat yourself occasionally, just not all the time. You can't diet forever and you need to make better daily choices.

Best of luck and keep going strong!
  • KristaCatherine87
    Options
    Thanks :) maybe I'll reward myself with one after I lose a few more lbs!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    It gets easier. Your tastes may start to change as well. You can also budget some discretionary calories for this like that you love.

I have to say though. I still wish I could eat like I could when I was overweight :(
  • arditarose
    Options
    I personally think it's awesome that you didn't have it. Self-control is super hard and fatiguing. Next time instead of crying, pat yourself on the back :) Now figure out how to work in some of your favorite foods into your diet.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    7 pounds in a week? That's an incredibly high rate of loss to aim for. I would be pretty hangry if I was losing that fast.
  • KristaCatherine87
    Options
    7 pounds in a week? That's an incredibly high rate of loss to aim for. I would be pretty hangry if I was losing that fast.

I didn't aim for 7lbs I just worked hard and it happened lol
  • KristaCatherine87
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I personally think it's awesome that you didn't have it. Self-control is super hard and fatiguing. Next time instead of crying, pat yourself on the back :) Now figure out how to work in some of your favorite foods into your diet.

I feel better now knowing I didn't have it :)
  • arditarose
    Options

If you have a decent amount of weight to lose, and you chose a 2 pound rate of loss and stuck to that deficit (that is you did not get even more aggressive), it's fine. You will drop water weight at first.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    sometimes it's not saying 'no', but 'goodbye'

PS ... ok, ... not 'goodbye for ever' if the favorite foods can be managed within your calorie allowance for the day. For me, some have had to be banished to never-land.
  • KristaCatherine87
    Options

If you have a decent amount of weight to lose, and you chose a 2 pound rate of loss and stuck to that deficit (that is you did not get even more aggressive), it's fine. You will drop water weight at first.

I do have a lot of weight to lose but chose the 1lb a week option just to give it a try. I'm always under my calories tho. Not that I try to be necessarily but I'm eating such good filling foods I don't be hungry enough to reach the calorie goal
  • arditarose
    Options

I do have a lot of weight to lose but chose the 1lb a week option just to give it a try. I'm always under my calories tho. Not that I try to be necessarily but I'm eating such good filling foods I don't be hungry enough to reach the calorie goal

That's cool. Testing the waters :)

By the way, this is kind of an emotional journey. I have cried quite a few times myself. The first time was when I looked in the mirror after 10 pounds lost and thought I looked even WORSE than before I started.
  • KristaCatherine87
    Options

That's cool. Testing the waters :)

By the way, this is kind of an emotional journey. I have cried quite a few times myself. The first time was when I looked in the mirror after 10 pounds lost and thought I looked even WORSE than before I started.

Well this is the first time I've gotten emotional. But I know it won't be the last :)
  • TeenageMutantNinjaMike
    Options
    I have had emotional breaks around weight loss. I was playing Wii Fit U with my family all there and they saw what the scale said and I was really uncomfortable about it. I went to the garage and cried alone. I knew I was big, but not that big.

A month or so later, my son told me he didn't think I was fat when I said I was. I was worried his friends might make fun of him for having an out of shape old man. Kids are really good at finding ways to be cruel to one another. He assured me I wasn't fat, but I told him I knew I was and i was doing my best to fix that and it wasn't something for me to be ashamed of. I just needed to work on making things better.

I feel like that more and more, some things are tough, and sometimes I want to indulge a little, and sometimes I indulge a lot when I shouldn't. Sometimes I don't indulge at all. You learn what works for you and where to stop and where to keep going.

It's never easy. The worst days are the ones where I haven't lost in a while (or I've even gained a bit). Those are the days where I really want to emotionally backslide but I have to remind myself to keep going at getting better.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The best time to eat something within reason to celebrate a kick-*kitten* 7.1 lb weight loss is right after the weigh-in. Find the calories on the web site, and plan your celebration, which is to include pumpkin spice muffins (In September? What's this world coming to?) and all the exercise walking divided into the number of days before the next weigh-in.
  • KristaCatherine87
    Options
    The best time to eat something within reason to celebrate a kick-*kitten* 7.1 lb weight loss is right after the weigh-in. Find the calories on the web site, and plan your celebration, which is to include pumpkin spice muffins (In September? What's this world coming to?) and all the exercise walking divided into the number of days before the next weigh-in.

I'm just afraid I'll feel so defeated or that the last week was all for nothing if I give in. I know that's silly buys I feel it's still too early for a treat.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Yes it gets easier. I say what a great win for you!!! Saying no to food that may send you off eating more than your daily limit when your a week in is a great accomplishment. It got easier for me after I figured out how to eat balanced and allow for pizza and potatoes - my weakness/triggers. And it's true I don't wish to eat them as much because all the sodium in pizza makes me retain water for days, something I didn't used to care about but now I notice.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

I'm just afraid I'll feel so defeated or that the last week was all for nothing if I give in. I know that's silly buys I feel it's still too early for a treat.

I understand. I don't eat to celebrate weight loss. Rather, at 20 lb intervals of loss I run a 5k. It's time to schedule another.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It does get easier. Good for you for not giving in to hundreds of undesired calories. There were some foods that I completely cut out for a few months, then gradually was able to reintroduce them in limited portions/frequency. There are some foods that after 2 years I still prefer to avoid completely because they are trigger foods. Glad your first week had encouraging results.
  • hoppymommy
    hoppymommy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use to be excited for "pumpkin spice" anything now I try to avoid it. I hope it gets easier for you.