185 lbs to 175lbs was a BUST lost more muscle than anything.

Options
So I did a 2 month cut I think lost 9 lbs of muscle to 1 lb of fat so not really happy. I kept my protein and Fat above minimums calories in a 300-500 deficit lifted 6 days a week did thirty min cardio 5 days a week (kept HR under 125) not sure what I'm missing really trying to drop body fat to single digits but not sure I want to weigh 165 lbs to do it. My strength and energy are still really good hitting everything twice a week about 20 sets per major body part.

Any suggestions would be great!

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    how are you measuring/determining muscle and fat loss?
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Mirror and pictures not the most scientific method I know and the above 9 to 1 is just a guess but it sure does look like more muscle than fat loss to me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    did you take measurements during your bulk and cut?
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    pics bro
  • l1k4
    l1k4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    9 pounds of muscle in 2 months is quite a feat. Any idea what your RHR is, provide your age, if you know your current BF%, and average weightlifting time when you workout. Answers to these questions may be able to help you hone your workouts and provide folks with a better idea of what happened.
  • Michael190lbs
    Options
    I'm 48 looking at pics of body fat % on google probably 12%- my resting HR is high 50's low 60's. I'm strong I can still get 275 5 times bench, deadlift 315 for reps and I don't squat over 275 by choice but can do it 8 times for sets. I do about 15 sets of 12-15 reps pull ups and rows twice a week so I'm in good physical shape. Not bragging just details- my gym sessions 75 min approx a little longer on leg day-

Thank you
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    How long did you bulk and was the 185 top weight?
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 looking at pics of body fat % on google probably 12%- my resting HR is high 50's low 60's. I'm strong I can still get 275 5 times bench, deadlift 315 for reps and I don't squat over 275 by choice but can do it 8 times for sets. I do about 15 sets of 12-15 reps pull ups and rows twice a week so I'm in good physical shape. Not bragging just details- my gym sessions 75 min approx a little longer on leg day-

Thank you

So you think you became less lean during your cut? This seems really unlikely. What got smaller, physically? If it was your waist, that was fat.

Is there any particular reason you want to be in single digits for fat % ? Because 12% body fat seems great for health and looks both.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Mirror and pictures not the most scientific method I know and the above 9 to 1 is just a guess but it sure does look like more muscle than fat loss to me.

So you did no measuring at all? Before or after? I don't know what to say, seems more of a mental imagine thing, since there are no facts at all.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    So I did a 2 month cut I think lost 9 lbs of muscle to 1 lb of fat so not really happy.
    Wow! Yeah I would be bummed as well...
    I kept my protein and Fat above minimums calories in a 300-500 deficit lifted 6 days a week did thirty min cardio 5 days a week (kept HR under 125) not sure what I'm missing
    When you say above minimum what are we talking about? What are your stats?

Lifting 6 days a week and cardio 5 days a week seems like a lot to me if one is cutting. Always thought in that instance you wanted to keep the intensity high but reduce duration...
    really trying to drop body fat to single digits but not sure I want to weigh 165 lbs to do it.
    Don't blame you...
    My strength and energy are still really good hitting everything twice a week about 20 sets per major body part.
    I would try to reduce frequency but keep intensity high...
  • Michael190lbs
    Options
    I keep my protein above 150 fat above 80 carbs typically under 150 just because I like meat fish shrimp- calories this pat two months 26-2800 I'm 6'0 48 years old

Reason to get in single digits was a goal I'm happy with how I look at 180- 185 it was just a goal for 2016

Losing weight is easy for me so is putting on weight I'm very disciplined diet wise-

I'll drop cardio to two days a week for the next two months and see what happens.

Just looking for a few opinions on something I'm missing- I wish I would have measured
  • BigJes37
    BigJes37 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I keep my protein above 150 fat above 80 carbs typically under 150 just because I like meat fish shrimp- calories this pat two months 26-2800 I'm 6'0 48 years old

Reason to get in single digits was a goal I'm happy with how I look at 180- 185 it was just a goal for 2016

Losing weight is easy for me so is putting on weight I'm very disciplined diet wise-

I'll drop cardio to two days a week for the next two months and see what happens.

Just looking for a few opinions on something I'm missing- I wish I would have measured

I know this far to well. By the protein, carb and fat numbers you provide it looks your calories might be a bit less. Also if you go to low on carbs for to long you will break down muscle. I made this mistake my first competition.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options

Yeah that really is the tell all...
  • Michael190lbs
    edited September 2016
    Options
    BigJes37 wrote: »

I know this far to well. By the protein, carb and fat numbers you provide it looks your calories might be a bit less. Also if you go to low on carbs for to long you will break down muscle. I made this mistake my first competition.

I think its the carbs being to low I was typically under 150 grams most days the past three months all the Cardio probably isn't helping either.

Thank you.

2e676q0ff3cu.jpg
  • BigJes37
    BigJes37 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    With that much high training your burning up all your glycogen and not getting it filled back up hopefully that change will help ;)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    OP: You should get a DEXA or hydrostatic scan. That's the only way you'll know for sure what your BF and LBM are.

Then decide if you want to lose anymore weight or bulk back up and then take another scan 3 months later to see what the results of your efforts in the interim have been.
  • Michael190lbs
    Options
    I'll look into the scan opportunities in my area Great advice. Carbs will go over 200 next two months
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Getting to single digit BF% and maintain at that level is pretty rare air, up there with NFL wide receivers. Have you ever been at that level as an adult for an extended period of time? I'm thinking to maintain at that level there needs to be some genetics help, especially approaching 50.

The 12% range is great. You could get to the single digits if you would want to do a competition or for a special beach vacation, might be hard to stay there long term.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    So I did a 2 month cut I think lost 9 lbs of muscle to 1 lb of fat so not really happy. I kept my protein and Fat above minimums calories in a 300-500 deficit lifted 6 days a week did thirty min cardio 5 days a week (kept HR under 125) not sure what I'm missing really trying to drop body fat to single digits but not sure I want to weigh 165 lbs to do it. My strength and energy are still really good hitting everything twice a week about 20 sets per major body part.

Any suggestions would be great!

Are you still cutting? You will lose glycogen and water whenever you cut, particularly if carbs are low, but you'll regain it as you go to maintenance and up carbs. Technically it's lean mass (and muscle volume), but it's quick to be gained and lost, unlike muscle protein.

I can easily gain or lose 4-7 lb just by going to maintenance/high carb versus deficit/moderate carb.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    BigJes37 wrote: »

I think its the carbs being to low I was typically under 150 grams most days the past three months all the Cardio probably isn't helping either.

Thank you.

2e676q0ff3cu.jpg

You sure it isn't glycogen - water depletion if you went low carb ...would reduce mass