Go to dinners

Options
2»

Replies

• Troutrouter1968
    Troutrouter1968 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My go to meal is grilled thin chicken breasts, grilled veggies, and either roasted potatoes or whole-grain egg noodles. Usually takes around 15-20 minutes to prepare. I pre-cook the frozen veggies and potatoes in the microwave before putting on the grill.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I eat bacon and eggs for dinner. 4-5 nights a week.

it's easy.

On the weekends I batch cook and I have that for dinner that night- and use it for lunch left over meals.

Just eat what they eat. no biggie.
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You can try this coconut curry shrimp jocooks.com/main-courses/seafood/coconut-shrimp-curry/. I made a double batch the other night and it was pretty darn yummy. I would recommend halving the tomatoes though. I love tomatoes, but it was too much. I would also add snap peas next time. We have enough leftover for three more meals (there are only two of us).

Because time IS an issue for me since I work full time and go to the gym 5-6 days a week, I try to always double, triple or quadruple recipes I make on the weekend so that at least 4 nights of the week, I can just pull something out of the freezer.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Back to the OP's question, I would also check out sites like Skinnytaste, SkinnyMom, and Weelicious for recipe suggestions.

Yep! I also like slenderkitchen, theskinnyfork, cookinglight, and eatingwell.

Pretty much everything I've ever cooked or served has been lower calorie in one way or another, but nobody would consider my meals to be "health food."

What helps for me is deconstructing any dish, adding non-starchy vegetables and decreasing the more calorific (or swapping out for lower calorie) items.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    5 minute miso salmon http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/06/miso-glazed-salmon-in-the-toaster-oven-recipe.html

pasta with turkey meatballs and jarred tomato sauce (make meatballs in a big batch and freeze), zoodles or butternut squash noodles for me

thai curry (shrimp, chicken or white fish; whatever veggies on hand; curry paste and coconut milk)

pork chops with black beans

baked white fish (cod or haddock) with cracker crumbs on top

My husband does not like beef or "soups" for dinner (which includes stews :neutral: ) so I don't usually make those, but I would like to!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    People who eat whatever they want and not put on a pound do not exist....

Sure they do. If what they want to eat is within their maintenance range then they can eat whatever they want and not gain weight. That's not to say there are these magical people who seem like the rest of us but eat and eat and eat and never gain weight. But there are a lot of people who have very active jobs, who are endurance athletes, who have to work to eat enough calories so that they don't lose weight.
    Not everyone is a volume eater either, and many people manage their weight using satiety cues quite successfully.

So they dont exist then. They can only eat more than others on the condition they do a lot of exercise.

The comment wasn't about people that can eat more than others. I'm a petite female. Lots of people can eat more food than me and not gain weight. The comment was about people who can eat whatever they want and not gain. You said they don't exist. I'm just pointing out that it all comes down to math. If what they want to eat is within their own maintenance range (whether or not they exercise) then they would be happily maintaining.

So they cant eat what they want. They have to stay within the maths. People on here insist that 'their mate can eat 10 pizzas a day and not put on a pound'. It is just sour grapes, not reality....

if eating whatever they want falls into their maintenance then uhhhhh they are eating whatever they want and not gaining.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

Sure they do. If what they want to eat is within their maintenance range then they can eat whatever they want and not gain weight. That's not to say there are these magical people who seem like the rest of us but eat and eat and eat and never gain weight. But there are a lot of people who have very active jobs, who are endurance athletes, who have to work to eat enough calories so that they don't lose weight.
    Not everyone is a volume eater either, and many people manage their weight using satiety cues quite successfully.

So they dont exist then. They can only eat more than others on the condition they do a lot of exercise.

The comment wasn't about people that can eat more than others. I'm a petite female. Lots of people can eat more food than me and not gain weight. The comment was about people who can eat whatever they want and not gain. You said they don't exist. I'm just pointing out that it all comes down to math. If what they want to eat is within their own maintenance range (whether or not they exercise) then they would be happily maintaining.

So they cant eat what they want. They have to stay within the maths. People on here insist that 'their mate can eat 10 pizzas a day and not put on a pound'. It is just sour grapes, not reality....

if eating whatever they want falls into their maintenance then uhhhhh they are eating whatever they want and not gaining.

Uhhhh. That could apply to people eating under too. Arent we just all being a bit pedantic here?
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

Uhhhh. That could apply to people eating under too. Arent we just all being a bit pedantic here?

considering the original argument was "no ome exists that can eat whatever they want and not gain" so yea. we are speaking about people speaking about their spouses who eat whatever they want and that not existing. and no i am not being pedantic im saying there are people that can eat whatever they want and not gain because they are not eating at surplus.. regardless of that fact and regardless of the cico numbers... there are people who can eat "10 pizzas" and not gain weight. My husband is a professional athlete who does... in fact.. eat whatever he wants and continues to have a 6 pack low body fat and beat his body up all day and not gain.
  • eldamiano
    Options

considering the original argument was "no ome exists that can eat whatever they want and not gain" so yea. we are speaking about people speaking about their spouses who eat whatever they want and that not existing. and no i am not being pedantic im saying there are people that can eat whatever they want and not gain because they are not eating at surplus.. regardless of that fact and regardless of the cico numbers... there are people who can eat "10 pizzas" and not gain weight. My husband is a professional athlete who does... in fact.. eat whatever he wants and continues to have a 6 pack low body fat and beat his body up all day and not gain.

No. I am referring to people who claim people exist who can eat ten pizzas every day and not put on a pound whereas me with a salad balloons with any calories. Unless the OP is going to quote me as misrepresented, then it isnt really for discussion. Everybody knows that if you do a lot of exercise, you can eat a lot. It isnt worth adding that to the conversation.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

No. I am referring to people who claim people exist who can eat ten pizzas every day and not put on a pound whereas me with a salad balloons with any calories. Unless the OP is going to quote me as misrepresented, then it isnt really for discussion. Everybody knows that if you do a lot of exercise, you can eat a lot. It isnt worth adding that to the conversation.

Then perhaps what you should have said to the OP was, "people can have vastly different calorie needs based on their gender, height, weight and activity level. It may seem that your husband can eat whatever he wants and not gain weight, but in actuality, he just may have a higher maintenance calorie level than you. What that means for you could be simply smaller portions, or it could be one meal the same as him but the rest of the day eat different, less calorie dense foods that still fill you up. It's all about figuring out what works for the individual but being envious of what other people eat is usually not a path to happiness with the weight loss process".

• eldamiano
    Options

Then perhaps what you should have said to the OP was, "people can have vastly different calorie needs based on their gender, height, weight and activity level. It may seem that your husband can eat whatever he wants and not gain weight, but in actuality, he just may have a higher maintenance calorie level than you. What that means for you could be simply smaller portions, or it could be one meal the same as him but the rest of the day eat different, less calorie dense foods that still fill you up. It's all about figuring out what works for the individual but being envious of what other people eat is usually not a path to happiness with the weight loss process".

With all due respect, I can write what I want. I dont need to write in a way which you approve....
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Girl, invest in or use a crockpot. Then go on food.com or alllrecipes.com and get low cal or easy recipes for the crockpot and tweek the recipes as needed. I also love my rotisseri oven and george foreman grill. This way I can plan a lean meat, two or more vegies, and some type of side with each dinner. I add in more calories for the husband by giving him a bigger portion and maybe a bread on the side as well as some type of healthy-ish dessert like my low cal bananna bread, fruit with whipped topping, or a one serving mini pie he likes to buy from walmart. I however make sure I weigh and/or measure my portions out and drink lots of water with my meal and sometimes I add in extra helpings of vegies to fill up my plate depending on what I make. We have chilli, tacos (I make mine a lettuce wrap taco or salad) , fajitas (those are fabulous for filing you up with vegies, lean meats and avocado.. you can also put on top of lettuce and skip the wraps, hamburgers occasionally, pasta: spaghetti or chicken alfredo but I add in lots of vegies to the spaghetti and cauliflower and broccoli to the alfredo and make it low cal, grilled chicken, or I just aim for simple: one lean grilled meat, two vegies sides, and a rice or potatoe side.
    I keep it normal as possible and since I am the one who dishes out the food, its easy to portion out what I need. I stopped using serving spoons and just use a measuring cup to scoop out the food onto the plates. I keep a scale right by the stove. Only takes a second.

I am in the same boat as you. My husband can and will eat anything and wont let me "diet him" as he says often. Its okay, I have found a balance between eating well but staying within my calorie goals. I save up my dinners to be my higher calorie meal. I aim to keep it around 600 or so. It just takes preplanning which starts when you make your list for the week's shopping. Make a dinner plan for six to seven days and go from there. I usually decide the night before or the early morning what our dinners will be and then I can have a plan or have it half done once I decide which meal we will have. I been doing this for so long, its a habit now.

Edit: you have to realize men actually need more calories than women, especially if they have an active job like mine does. So there is that as well.
  • honeybee739
    honeybee739 Posts: 66 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

You need to come meet my husband then. He weighs the exact same since I met him. And he eats donuts, pizza, drinks beer etc etc without ever going up a size. And he doesn't exercise. AND he has a sedentary job. While I am in the other room working out for an hour he is watching T.V., eating chips and drinking a beer.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of batch cooking as other people have mentioned; there are nights where I don't feel like cooking, and so it's super easy to pull out something I've cooked and frozen for later. I also love the crockpot so I can cook while I'm at work. I'll make a huge batch of something for dinner (chili, pulled pork/chicken, stew, pot roast, etc.) and then freeze single portions of the leftovers.

I also really like having shredded chicken on hand; I'll make up about 10lbs in the crockpot, shred, and freeze in about 3-4oz servings. They're good for throwing on a salad, making a pulled chicken sandwich, whipping up chicken salad, in tacos, etc. It's super easy when it's already made.
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Red beans and rice is my go-to meal. You can add anything the beans for flavor with a side of brown rice. :)
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

Of course they do. Plenty of people eat as much as they want and maintain a normal weight. They just don't want to eat nearly as much as I want to eat.