Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

U.S. FDA orders antibacterials removed from consumer soaps

Options
NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
"Companies will no longer be able to market antibacterial washes with these ingredients because manufacturers did not demonstrate that the ingredients are both safe for long-term daily use and more effective than plain soap and water in preventing illness and the spread of certain infections," the FDA said in a statement.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/fda-orders-antibacterials-removed-consumer-soaps-n642036

Replies

• PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Good because some of the antibacterials are similar to pesticides, plus they contribute to the growth of super-bacteria like MRSA, which is rampant in US hospitals. The action of rubbing your hands together with plain soap is just as effective.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The FDA started asking about triclosan in 1978. Environmental groups and some members of Congress have been calling for limits on the use of triclosan. The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) sued and the FDA agreed to do something about triclosan by 2016.

38 years! It's things like these that make people so leery of FDA approval of anything.

FDA approval means nothing to me, i don't think it takes much to get that stamp of approval..
    PennWalker wrote: »
    Good because some of the antibacterials are similar to pesticides, plus they contribute to the growth of super-bacteria like MRSA, which is rampant in US hospitals. The action of rubbing your hands together with plain soap is just as effective.

Look at all the people that go into hospital but never make it out due to picking up deadly infections in there. Hospitals would have to be the number 1 user of antibacterials.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    As long as they dont get rid of hibiclens and such medicinal wound cleaners we are good. I am on antibiotics for a skin infection and need this stuff to make sure i dont infect anyone else.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I don't know about other healthcare systems, but the one I work for has forbidden their use by nurses, etc, for years.

The strictly alcohol/antibacterial cleansers fail to get your hands clean, leaving foreign material to later get into wounds, eyes, etc.

The soaps with antibacterials do the job with cleaning, but like the alcohol/antibacterial cleansers they're more likely to dry out your skin, compromising a primary immune barrier and leaving you more susceptible to infection. Probably not much of an issue with the general public, but when you're washing your hands a million times a day, it makes a difference.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    As always - FDA about 10-20 years behind the times.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    This is primarily response to anti-chemical activist pressure. The "antibacterial" label when triclosan was added was pure marketing. The REAL purpose is as an antimycotic. The stuff prevents molds from growing in consumer products, and banning the entire class of compounds will have the direct effect of significantly reducing shelf life.
    It looks like this only effects its use in consumer antibacterial soaps, where it didn't have any merit anyway.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    As always - FDA about 10-20 years behind the times.

I know I have been hearing about the need to ban this for 20 years. It is an issue I have never educated myself about with any real research.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to read this.
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    The issue and danger with overuse of antibiotics is bacterial resistance - while everyone knows this they still insist on using antibiotics. The issue now is that the resistant genes are already out there and being shared by bacteria, so stopping the use now is pointless.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    You don't get penicillin or methicillin or other drug-related antibiotic resistance from triclosan exposure. These are entirely different compounds worth different mechanisms of action and different targets.
  • stealthq
    Options
    The issue and danger with overuse of antibiotics is bacterial resistance - while everyone knows this they still insist on using antibiotics. The issue now is that the resistant genes are already out there and being shared by bacteria, so stopping the use now is pointless.

Not pointless.

Selective pressure is required for a high rate of retention for most of those genes over multiple generations. Remove the selective pressure and the percentage of bacteria resistant to that pressure should drop.
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Not pointless.

Selective pressure is required for a high rate of retention for most of those genes over multiple generations. Remove the selective pressure and the percentage of bacteria resistant to that pressure should drop.

Perhaps for the environmental microbial populations at large; however for the clinically significant pathogens - pointless.
  • stealthq
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Not pointless.

Perhaps for the environmental microbial populations at large; however for the clinically significant pathogens - pointless.

If you mean eliminating the specific antibiotics in soap is basically meaningless for clinically significant pathogens, then I'd agree.

If you mean that eliminating any antibiotic is pointless to reduce populations of clinically significant pathogens once the resistance is out there, then I'd disagree. Populations of pathogens such as MTB have been followed when this or that antibiotic falls out of favor. When it does, over time the percentage of cases that are resistant to that particular antibiotic decrease.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I will avoid taking antibiotics unless it's a life or death situation. Taking them usually gives me worse problems than the actual condition they are trying to treat!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I will avoid taking antibiotics unless it's a life or death situation. Taking them usually gives me worse problems than the actual condition they are trying to treat!

Me too