Anyone else always cold?

Replies

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Once I started to lift weights and pay attention to my macros I no longer felt cold.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    I always ran hot. Hit menopause and lost 30 lbs and I was cold with hot flushes.

I was cooler the first 2 years after losing the weight, then I reverse dieted to give me 150 cals a day more and that aliviated the problem quite a bit.

This past year or so I upped my protein and started lifting and I feel as though my body temperature was much more in my normal range last winter. We will see if it is the same this winter.

Cheers, h.
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    bioklutz wrote: »
    Once I started to lift weights and pay attention to my macros I no longer felt cold.

I don't lift weights but I do pay attention to what I eat and I don't try to have a large calorie deficit. I tend to run a little hot. However since I live in Japan, if you don't run a little hot the winter is very, very long.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Always cold, especially at the office. I got a stability ball chair that forces you to balance -- that tiny bit of exercise helps warm me up throughout the day. Plus a space heater. Hot coffee and tea are my friends to keep my hands warm and nice warm blankets for sleeping. Agree on the hot showers too, bliss!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Gain back ten or five pounds. That gets rid of the cold. :|
    Of course, then you are like me trying to get back to the plot.
  • sonic_corset
    sonic_corset Posts: 15 Member
    im forever cold now. unless ive spent some time out in the heat. but indoors, which is set at a 'comfortable' 72, 90% guaranteed im in a robe, under blankets, or in a hoodie. wool socks in winter, btw, are a lifesaver!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    I've wondered whether that tendency to be cold all the time after losing weight correlates with adaptive thermogenesis. Some of the anecdotes on this thread seem to point in that direction, but maybe I'm just exhibiting confirmation bias. ;)

FWIW, I lost weight in the early part of my college career, and for a while was cold all the time, even in warm weather. This time around, with much larger weight loss (60+ pounds as compared with 20-30 then), I kept expecting to be cold, but haven't been.

Both times, my weight loss was mostly eating changes . . . but I'm much more active now then I was back there, even though that's not why I lost weight this time.

Dunno.
  • TexasStellar
    TexasStellar Posts: 39 Member
    Yeah I know what y'all mean, I tend to get cold as well!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,281 Member
    I wish for this problem.. I have found the past few years as i gained 30 pounds that I have an intolerance to the heat.. It even ruined a trip to the BVI's I was miserable. i'm so hot all the time this summer, I have my air turned down to 68/69. Hope my weight loss will fix it.. i think too much fat or lack of fat causes the extremes.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    I wear 3-4 jumpers on at once, 2 beanies, and 2 pairs of pants everyday at minimum, more layers if it's very cold, something tells me I feel the cold more than the average person.
  • dr_soda
    dr_soda Posts: 57 Member
    I did experience this after my first weight loss, and indeed I'm still to this day more cold sensitive than I was at my heaviest. That said, you eventually adjust somewhat.

I have, however, noticed that ever since I made a point to bump my protein to 30% of my calories at minimum that I generate noticeably more heat. Perhaps if you swap out some of your current carbs and fat in favor of protein you'll notice a greater fire in your internal furnace.
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    I find that if I weight train regularly i run warmer. not sure why but it works
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    I'm looking forward to this, tbh, right now I swing from one extreme to the other, I feel chilly but if I put a jumper on I end up sweating. I know hormones probably play a role, but it can't help that my body is buried in a fat blanket while my extremities are out in the cold. At least if I'm consistently cold I can just buy some thermal underwear!
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    I spent my whole life being cold, until I put on some muscle. Now I'm pretty comfortable most of the time.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,493 Member
    Opposite problem here. I'm always warm. I can't really afford to drop the thermostat below 72-73, so I'm always in tank tops at home. Other women are bundled up in hoodies and I'm doing my stripper act if it gets above 75 outside. :tongue:
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    I am always, always cold. I have a saying that if it's not HOT, I'm cold. 70 degrees is where I really start to shiver, and I live in COLORADO.
  • N1keS0cc8rRunne7
    N1keS0cc8rRunne7 Posts: 43 Member
    edited September 2016
    yes...and I love it! It justifies my continued weight loss ...guess i'm just a strange creature :p
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    I fast twice a week and on days I fast towards the end of the day I'm often freezing if it's the slightest bit cold either from AC or weather. Doesn't bother me though. I have a tendency toward cold extremities anyway...
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    edited September 2016
    Yeah, I am "always" cold now, that's why I am wearing a woollen spencer an overvest and a leather jacket and a hat while indoors in my photo. I also have been wondering why I am cold. So the best answer I could think of was that I am eating just slightly under my maintenance calories but rather than lose weight, my body chooses to reduce it's maintenance calories to match the reduced calorie intake. Hence it needs to reduce the operating temperature of my body. Having less insulating blubber also makes a person cold of course.. Mind you, I don't think of it as being a bad thing. Just that I have to wear more layers.
  • IriaSparcast
    IriaSparcast Posts: 27 Member
    A follow-up to my previous reply....someone mentioned an iron deficiency can account for always being cold. My labs looked fine at last annual exam, but checked my diary for nutrition breakdown and learned I was only consuming about 25% RDA of dietary iron.

I skeptically started taking a low dose gentle iron supplement 1x/day. 2 weeks later -- I have less freezing moments, and have sometimes been tolerating just a T-shirt indoors where long sleeves used to be 100% required. I still occasionally get cold, and keep a jacket, sweater or lap blanket handy just in case but use them less often. My friends and coworkers were first to notice the difference. (Lack of sleeves and blanket mostly)

Big thanks to the tipster there. Hope it helps others, too.