Bookworms

Options

Replies

• lisciousg24
    lisciousg24 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reading the god delusion by Richard Dawkins and planning to go through a Stephen King novel after I finish. I have the Dark Tower series in mind, I just hope it's really good because a friend of mine will be trying King for the first time I don't want him to be put off. What do you all think? :smile:

The Dark Tower is my all time favorite series. I can't find anything to compare.

Currently reading Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes. I. Can't. Put. It. Down. It's a great, yet stressful read.

I started reading The Dark Tower Series a while ago. I'm not sure where I left off but I know I didn't finish em. I liked it but then didn't have time to read. And now it's been a while that I'd have to start it from the beginning again
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Anyone read "A Hologram for the King" by Dave Eggers? Is it a good book?

i read it and thought it was just ok. i'm a huge fan of "a heartbreaking work of staggering genius" but i haven't found his later works to hold up as well, except for a few of the short stories.

Thanks for your feedback. I started the book, but I'm not enthralled. I don't think I'll be able to finish it.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read any Wally Lamb? I find his books to be really good, in that you come away from them with a different perspective -The Hour I first Believed, She's Come Undone, I Know This Much Is True
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    Has anyone read any Wally Lamb? I find his books to be really good, in that you come away from them with a different perspective -The Hour I first Believed, She's Come Undone, I Know This Much Is True

i LOVED she's come undone! I Know This Much is True i enjoyed as well, i forgot about Wally Lamb! i'll have to read the other one you mentioned now.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    A UK bookworm here. I am a crime / thriller / modern classics fan.

Currently busting through a whole addiction to Tartan Noir - some really good crime series coming out of Scotland. I'd really recommend Peter May and the Shetland series, Ian Rankin (obviously!), Stuart MacBride, Val McDiarmid as just a start.

Watership Down is forever close to my heart as it is set around the village I grew up in and Richard Adams lived in the next village when I was a child. The little map in the front of book shows real places and the film locations are drawn from photos.

I also like George Orwell, Aldous Huxley, Margaret Atwood etc.

Finally I have to give a mention to Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca. Fabulous writing and set near where I now live.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Head in book daily. It's a Chess Informant, secret code of the /nerds.
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Just got the Cursed Child, will update after I've read it.
  • Alienique
    Alienique Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Fellow bookworm here. Especially of sci-fi and Tolkien-esque fantasy.
  • salyerssommer
    salyerssommer Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yessssss!
    Check out Sherilyn Kenyon! She has three different series and they are to die for!! And also the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton is amazingggg!!
    Definitely put both authors on your MUST read list! ♥
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Classic-mystery lovers might like Josephine Tey and Ellis Peters.
  • 2rottndgs
    2rottndgs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I sleep with my kindle. ;)
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »

I loved Ellis Peters (Edith Pargeter) and the Brother Cadfael series - did you ever see the TV series? The Brother was played by Derek Jacobi (whom I adore too).

The book that I read that has had the most influence on me and my life was The Source, by Mitchener. Its the story of an archeological dig in the Middle East, and as each relic is found, the story about how it got there is told. It was amazing and fuelled my interest in travel, archeology, history and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Whats your "changed my life" book?
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options

Life of Pi changed my life. I read it in my early 20's and it fixed my whiny young adult syndrome. It taught me to find the good in the bad and that life is all about perspective. I am a much happier person because of this book.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Total bookworm here. I was the kid that got in trouble for reading at 4am on a school night. When I was in college, I had to place myself on a complete book ban during the semester because once I pick one up, I can't stop reading until I finish it. I'm currently reading The Door for a book club by Magda Szabo, and The Atlantis World by A.G. Riddle. It's the last book in a sci-fi trilogy about the origins of the human race.

I enjoy most genres....I read a lot of romance and sci-fi. I like non-fiction that reads like fiction like The Hot Zone. I like mystery/suspense like Patterson and Koontz. Pretty much anything I can get my hands on.

Oh, and the classics....I fell in love with reading with the classics.
  • ejbronte
    Options

I loved Ellis Peters (Edith Pargeter) and the Brother Cadfael series - did you ever see the TV series? The Brother was played by Derek Jacobi (whom I adore too).

The book that I read that has had the most influence on me and my life was The Source, by Mitchener. Its the story of an archeological dig in the Middle East, and as each relic is found, the story about how it got there is told. It was amazing and fuelled my interest in travel, archeology, history and a whole bunch of other stuff.

I love Derek Jacobi, and have ever since the first US run of "I, Claudius". he played Lear here in Brooklyn a couple of years ago, and was wonderful - a very generous actor! I did see the series, but was disappointed in how they cast and handled Hugh Berengar, one of my favorite characters from the book series. Jacobi was lovely, though. as always.

Okay, now I'm going to have to read "The Source" - the only Mitchener I've ever read was "Iberia", but my sister's read a whole bunch of his books, when she was in her late teens, and liked him very, very much. I was probably in my Taylor Caldwell stage at that point...
  • mayoosh_primrose
    mayoosh_primrose Posts: 131 Member
    Options

Difficult question, every book I read changes something in me :heart: Anyone else like that?
    Also, I've read Harry Potter and the Cursed child last week...I couldn't put it down but I can't say I was REALLY impressed :neutral:
    What do you all think?

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Major Bookworm here! I am reading Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.
  • ejbronte
    Options
    My "changed my life book" came very early: age 7, when we all visited my father's family in Spain. I wanted an English language book and my parents found a English hardcover copy of "The Little Prince". The style, the vignettes, the language, the illustrations, the gently ironic, wistful, oblique tone, really affected me and I think, influenced my direction in writing and in my outlook on people.
  • edup1975
    edup1975 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I enjoy reading suspense and thrillers .
  • amcalmond768
    amcalmond768 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Any bookworms out there? :love: Would love to be friends with you :D

Add me!!! I rather read then go out! 2 books a week here lmao