Macros for low carb diet?

Options
Hi
I'm new!
I'm looking for a little help with setting realistic macro goal.
I'm doing a low card, high protien diet.

What would be the best levels to set the macros at?

I'm trying to loose weight
Exercising 3-4 times a week
I've just added dairy back into my diet after taking a few weeks off.

Thanks y'all X

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Most folks who do low carb here (long term) do MODERATE protein and high FAT.

Have you researched different approaches to doing low carb?
  • bexilashious
    bexilashious Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Not really
    I've been doing my own thing for 6 weeks now and lost 1st 10lbs.
    But whether I've been doing it the right way or not I don't know
    I'm trying to stick to 1000 calories a day

My typical diet is
    eggs for breakfast
    Fruit for lunch (I find it very hard to eat three proper meals a day, I've never been able to)
    Meat, salad, or steamed veg for dinner.

But now I'm adding cheese and milk in too.

I don't eat bread, rice or pasta at all
  • bexilashious
    Options
    Thank you!
    I'm trying to eat more honest! Lol
    Just struggling as in so full X
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Thank you!
    On 1,000 calories with sugar as your lunch?
    Please fuel your body. Eat as much as you can while losing, not as little.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    VegetaSKJ wrote: »
    Thank you!

Is this your first time on a low carb diet? There's some anecdotal evidence that appetite suppression is high for some on a low carb or ketogenic diet for the first time.

There is, but given that she's having FRUIT as her lunch, I'm guessing her carb count isn't all that low....
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    As @Sabine_Stroehm said, most low carb diets consist of moderate protein and high fat. Moderate protein is usually considered to be between 15-30% with 20-25% pretty typical for those not striving to gain muscle mass. Fat is usually over 50% and can be as high as 80% of your diet.

Low carb is usually considere to be under 100-150g ofcarbs per day, depending on your caloric goals. 1000kcal/day is quite low (probably too low) and would use a lower carb count. Carbs below 50g per day are often considered very LCHF or ketogenic. In terms of macros, carbs can be between 0 and upwards of 40% and still be considered low carb.

I agree that just fruit for lunch is not very LCHF friendly. It's mostly carbs/sugar. Perhaps add some nuts or cheeses in there to up your calories and balance your carbs down a bit?

Perhaps join the Low Carber Daily group. You'll find a lot of LCHF info in there. Best wishes.
  • bexilashious
    Options
    Yes it's my first time

I did slimming world years ago (red and green diet) but I stuck to the green (carbs)

So this is my first time doing this.

I've given up fruit for this past week.
    Trying to lower my sugar and salt intake (I retain water when I eat too much salt)

Last weigh in I'd lost a total of 1st 10lb
    But I seem to be plateauing. I'm just hovering at this weight. So I need to do something badly.
    I gave up dairy for a while but started eating cheese again this week. (Cottage,feta) and I've also drank a glass of milk (but the sugar worries me if I'm honest)

I get married 29th October and although I already have my dress and it fits, I'd like to be slimmer and more healthy looking. The dress can go in 2 sizes so it's no problem
    But I haven't even lost 1 dress size yet (my clothes are fitting better)

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Yes it's my first time

I did slimming world years ago (red and green diet) but I stuck to the green (carbs)

So this is my first time doing this.

I've given up fruit for this past week.
    Trying to lower my sugar and salt intake (I retain water when I eat too much salt)

Last weigh in I'd lost a total of 1st 10lb
    But I seem to be plateauing. I'm just hovering at this weight. So I need to do something badly.
    I gave up dairy for a while but started eating cheese again this week. (Cottage,feta) and I've also drank a glass of milk (but the sugar worries me if I'm honest)

I get married 29th October and although I already have my dress and it fits, I'd like to be slimmer and more healthy looking. The dress can go in 2 sizes so it's no problem
    But I haven't even lost 1 dress size yet (my clothes are fitting better)
    Again, PLEASE do your research. People on a low carb diet NEED more salt. You lose so much on a low carb diet.
  • bexilashious
    Options
    I haven't given it up completely
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

She means that people doing low carb need more salt than the average person. I would recommend checking out the group she mentioned and learning more about the diet before pursuing this route.
  • bexilashious
    Options
    I've joined but not been accepted yet

Thank you xx :)
  • nefudaboss
    nefudaboss Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

Hey 10% carbs 45protein 45fat is what im doing i broke my plateau and im dropping but don't go too low on calories because you'll be mad when your metabolism adapts and you won't have any room to adjust eventually you'll have to eat more and you'll gain it back it happened to me so just do 25% of tdee and keep readjusting every 10-15 lbs you lose good luck
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited September 2016
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

She means that people doing low carb need more salt than the average person. I would recommend checking out the group she mentioned and learning more about the diet before pursuing this route.

Right. Instead of LESS than average, you need MORE than average (while eating low carb), so cutting back is not a good idea.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    nefudaboss wrote: »
    Thank you!

Hey 10% carbs 45protein 45fat is what im doing i broke my plateau and im dropping but don't go too low on calories because you'll be mad when your metabolism adapts and you won't have any room to adjust eventually you'll have to eat more and you'll gain it back it happened to me so just do 25% of tdee and keep readjusting every 10-15 lbs you lose good luck

25% off of TDEE is a 2.5 lb loss per week, which is higher than MFP allows. Higher rates of loss are not appropriate for those with less than 75 lbs to lose, and increases the chances of higher muscle loss during weight loss, as well as fatigue, moodiness, and generally feeling like crap. I don't think the OP would be happy with how her body looks on her wedding day going that route, nor would she feel particularly good either.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

At very low carb (ketogenic) levels, we need to take an average of 3000-5000mg of sodium per day. That's the equivalent of 2 teaspoons of table salt. Many find they need to liberally salt most food, drink broth at least once a day, take salt tablets, or add salt to water.

You've lost a lot already. About 24lbs in 6 weeks? Four pounds per week? You probably can't lose much faster unless you have a very large amount of weight to lose, and you look fairly slim already. You have room to add on some calories and still lose very well.

Don't seat not being down a size yet. I bet you are shrinking. Losing in your ribs, neck and arms are still shrinking, and looking good, even if it isn't at the hips or waist. I am sure you'll be down at least one size, possibly two, by your wedding; even if you lose just a pound or two a week (which is a safe a nd healthy level to lose at).
  • bexilashious
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

At very low carb (ketogenic) levels, we need to take an average of 3000-5000mg of sodium per day. That's the equivalent of 2 teaspoons of table salt. Many find they need to liberally salt most food, drink broth at least once a day, take salt tablets, or add salt to water.

You've lost a lot already. About 24lbs in 6 weeks? Four pounds per week? You probably can't lose much faster unless you have a very large amount of weight to lose, and you look fairly slim already. You have room to add on some calories and still lose very well.

Don't seat not being down a size yet. I bet you are shrinking. Losing in your ribs, neck and arms are still shrinking, and looking good, even if it isn't at the hips or waist. I am sure you'll be down at least one size, possibly two, by your wedding; even if you lose just a pound or two a week (which is a safe a nd healthy level to lose at).

Thank you!
    This is very helpful!

I'm 15st 3 at the moment
    I've lost in my face and legs it seems but not much anywhere else
    As my dress is bought and fits I really wanted to loose the back fat more than anything before the wedding
    I've taken up swimming (1000-2000m 2times a week) and walking 10miles 2times a week)
    Drinking 3-4 litres of water a day.

I'm finding the whole salt/sugar thing confusing. But I'll get there I guess lol
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I will say this much. It can be a chore to get enough calories if you do not add in enough fat. First thing you should do is make sure you know exactly what you are consuming now. What does your carb, protein and fat intake currently look like? Increase from there based on your findings. Also, for a good low carb and high protein suggestion I like cottage cheese, certain yogurts are not heavily sweetened like Siggi's. They actually have a great whole milk yogurt. I like to add a tablespoon of olive oil to a glass of tomato juice. This helps me because if I am on a low carb day and all that butter and meat isn't feeling so great on my stomach the tomato juice spiked with olive oil is just right. Eggs are great for fat and protein. But yeah, as was stated already 1000 calories is no good long term. In fact the calorie problem is one reason I don't stay on a low carb plan. I lose my appetite and have a terrible time getting even to 800 calories. Carb cycling works best for me because of that.