Cauliflower Pizza Base help!!!

Options
DebbieNeedham1
DebbieNeedham1 Posts: 234 Member
Hi All
I have been craving pizza, but obviously can't go there at the moment - so I tried to make a pizza base using cauliflower. It was ok - but not totally amazing. Can anyone give me any tips or recommend a great recipe?? I have a nut allergy so it can't have nuts or coconut in there.. Thanks :)

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical condition stopping you from eating regular pizza dough? If never really had any success with the whole cauliflower thing, to be honest...I just make super thin crust bases as they are much lower in calories than the regular crusts.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Side by side comparison of calories in cauliflower vs. flour crust are the same.
  • txfyreflye
    txfyreflye Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I made one not long ago that my hubby and son really liked. I got it from this guy:

chef buck

I had it on medium - low for 1/2 hour, constantly stirring until it was like totally dry. Then I made sure I cooked it for 2 minutes longer than he recommended.

He is right though, the squeeze out doesn't work well.

Hope that helps!
  • DebbieNeedham1
    Options
    @cerise_noir - no I am just trying to cut down on the amount of wheat I eat... good thinking though - I could always use half wholewheat and half oat flour...
  • DebbieNeedham1
    Options
    txfyreflye wrote: »
    Hi there! I made one not long ago that my hubby and son really liked. I got it from this guy:

chef buck

I had it on medium - low for 1/2 hour, constantly stirring until it was like totally dry. Then I made sure I cooked it for 2 minutes longer than he recommended.

He is right though, the squeeze out doesn't work well.

Hope that helps!

Thanks - will have a look at that :)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @cerise_noir - no I am just trying to cut down on the amount of wheat I eat... good thinking though - I could always use half wholewheat and half oat flour...
    Unless you have a medical condition, there's no reason to cut down on the wheat/carbs. I've personally lost almost 100lb and some days are quite wheat/carb heavy. :) The thin crusts are amazing, and you end up not putting so much on them, other. Fantastic! Not sure how oat flour would work as it is quite dense/heavy, but do come back and let us know! I like oat flour for its fiber content, but still like white flour!
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Side by side comparison of calories in cauliflower vs. flour crust are the same.
    So very true! With all the cheese that goes into the cauliflower crust as well as on top....
    But, I have no problem with cheese! Heh.

• txfyreflye
    txfyreflye Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You could also use super thin crust. All pizza crusts are not equal and ultra thin crust does have fewer calories.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If cauliflower isn't for you, perhaps a flat out wrap or something? There are "recipes" for how to make them crisp.
  • DebbieNeedham1
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @cerise_noir - will have a go and let you know :):)
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Pioneer woman had it on her show a week or so ago. It used cauliflower, cheese, egg, and italian seasoning. Here's the link: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/cauliflower-crust-pizza.htm She said the trick is to wring out the cauliflower really good. Of course you can top it with whatever you like instead of her toppings.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat dough, BBQ sauce, As many vegetables as you can fit, no cheese. It is my favorite pizza in the world.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I've used this one, but only once--mostly out of curiosity: http://www.cookingwithjax.com/2014/01/cauliflower-crust-pizza.html

As you said, I found it okay but not great. Not "real" enough for me and I wasn't a big fan of the cauliflowery aftertaste in my pizza. ;) But as cauliflower crusts go, I suppose it was good. :)
  • sarahearra
    sarahearra Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When I'm craving pizza, I pick up Boboli's 100% Whole Wheat Pizza Crust, add pizza sauce, 2% mozzarella, and veggies. Half a pizza is usually around 500 calories and only takes about 15 minutes to make. My local grocery store carries the pre-made crusts by the pizza sauce.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Add some oregano and garlic powder to the crust before baking.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I recommend the gluten free pizza crust mix from aldi. Add in garlic/onion powder and Italian seasonings for a little more flavor. Although I would give my right arm to eat "normal" pizza again so, if you don't have celiac or non celiac gluten sensitivity eat pizza for those of us who can not. :smiley:
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    If you're not on some sort of low carb diet what about using a pita pocket for your base and load up on toppings? Less wheat/flour than normal pizzas. I ate a lot of pita pizzas growing up.

If you want a more veggie base I've seen people use shredded zucchini to make pizza crust too, or sliced eggplant made into mini pizzas.
  • DebbieNeedham1
    Options
    thanks everyone for your answers - going to look into them all - I am not allergic to wheat - but I am trying to drastically cut it down as I think we eat far too much wheat - especially as its a relatively new grain that has been introduced to our diet - as in the last 10,000 years or something - which compared to human evolution is very recent. I think this is the reason why so many people have wheat allergys/intollerances..
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for your answers - going to look into them all - I am not allergic to wheat - but I am trying to drastically cut it down as I think we eat far too much wheat - especially as its a relatively new grain that has been introduced to our diet - as in the last 10,000 years or something - which compared to human evolution is very recent. I think this is the reason why so many people have wheat allergys/intollerances..

Cauliflower has only been around for about 2,600 years...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauliflower#History

So that's why it gives me gas, then. I'm simply mal-adapted. B)
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I tried several recipes until I perfected it by using Garbanzo Bean Powder as a base mixture. It comes out crispy, thin and crunchy exactly like real pizza crust! I had to order the powder on-line (amazon).

I slightly steam the cauliflower and then put it in my food processor, squeeze out all of the water, mix it with the flower, one egg, a little grated cheese (whatever you like, even Vegan), salt, pepper and garlic. Roll it out on parchment paper and bake it in the oven at 400 F - one side until it starts to brown, flip it and do the other side until it starts to brown. Then load it up with your toppings, bake again for as long as you want - until cheese melts or vegetables/meats get cooked/crisp. Let cool a bit and there you have it. I don't have measurements but you can tell by the consistency of the "dough". If it's too thick add a little water. Too thin, add a little more powder.