Subway! Is subway really healthy?

Options
124»

Replies

• kristinathenina
    Options
    I work at subway- it was around for may only, and we were told to run out of stock and then its gone. Very few places will still have it.

I love the orchard chicken!!! Where was that because I was told it was discontinued? I may have to try a different Subway. I'm not sure that the sandwich maker at the last Subway I went to spoke English very well.
    [/quote]
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Subway is no more or less healthy than any other fast food place. Think on this, that foot long BMT that the OP ate, a Big Mac has less calories, less fat, less saturated fat, less sodium, and less carbs.

It's not where you go, it's what you eat.
  • jpeper1966
    jpeper1966 Posts: 79
    Options
    Subway is no more or less healthy than any other fast food place. Think on this, that foot long BMT that the OP ate, a Big Mac has less calories, less fat, less saturated fat, less sodium, and less carbs.

It's not where you go, it's what you eat.

Yes but if you need a foot long sub to fill you. ONE Big Mac will not be enough. Apples to apples.

I love Subway, and one sub gives me a fully balanced meal (most of the food pyramid). Chicken breast, cheese, no sauce and loaded with every vegie.
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    When I am a situation that the fast food restaurant is the only solution, then Subway is my choice.
  • bumina
    bumina Posts: 5
    Options
    I love Subway and while sometimes I go off diet for a Chicken Bacon Ranch or BMT - I usually stick with the oven roasted chicken, honey oat bread, pepper jack cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickle, olive, green pepper, banana pepper and spicy mustard. Granted the cheese bumps it up to something like 10g of fat, but that's still better than McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, etc. Don't be fooled by the burger chains salads - they aren't that healthy (lots of cheese and high fat dressings). My sodium is usually way high, but then again I do a lot of manual labor for a living and sweat most of it out.
  • DrewD2011
    DrewD2011 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Amazing....you have pegged my dinners 3-4 days a week for the last 2 years...eat the veggie delite and you will lose weight. Add the apples instead of the extra 6 inches and all is great! Stay away from the chips!
  • djkymba
    djkymba Posts: 174
    Options
    6" veggie delite is what i always get. delish and only 310 mgs of sodium. but I don't really track my sodium, soooo...
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Subway is the bomb yo! I think you should eat one of those for every meal for a year then report back how you did!
  • StephCrabtree
    Options
    I, too thought it was a healthy choice with all the adds showing 6 g of fat or less; eat like Jared, etc. I couldn't believe what it did to my sodium count after what I thought was a healthy choice-ham and turkey, 6" italian herb/cheese with veggies. I think I will make my own. More work, no drive thru but a better choice.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I eat Subway about once a week. It's usually because I need to get groceries or I'm on the run. But it's really the only option I have for fast food where I live. Otherwise it's McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Johns, Arby's or A&W.

I eat the roasted chicken which isn't one of the "worse" choices. Its mid 300s for calories and 640 for sodium, so it's not as bad as some of the other ones that are 1,000s for sodium. I generally don't eat a lot of sodium so it usually isn't a big deal to me.

I have to laugh...I have an ex BF who always thought he was eating so good and was so proud of it. His sandwich? TUNA!!! Which has 30g of FAT alone!!! LOL. I always laughed when he got that and acted all smug like he was eating so healthy. It's probably one of, if not the WORST choice.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I eat there from time to time. I used to a lot when I was in school before I started taking my own lunch.

I always got a kids sub or 6 inch if I am really hungry. I don't eat mayo so my sandwich is pretty basic lol.
  • JustBreathSB
    JustBreathSB Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I L-O-V-E Subway!! They are healthy, in moderation. I always get a 6" turkey breast on whole wheat with lettice, bell peppers, and olives. It comes out to around 300ish calories. Sometimes I'll put mustard on it. Never cheese or mayo. So Subway's healthiness really depends on you :-)
  • Penguinita
    Penguinita Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Overall, I find subway is healthy.

I gotta say I dissagree with everyone saying the foot long was a bad choice, the TYPE of footlong was a bad choice. I just ate a turkey breast and forest ham wheat footlong w/ no cheese, lots of veggies (though they mostly fell out LOL) and according to the subway website its 560 (and MFP its 570). I'm full, which is the best part of getting a footlong. The only downside with subway, which is the same thing with restaurant/take out places, is that it cost quiet a bit if its a regular thing.

I also read someone wrote that you barely taste the cheese, I totally agree. the cheese is just added calories for no good reason.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Sodium is insane with a foot long though.
  • Maria_81
    Maria_81 Posts: 152
    Options
    Good question, since I love Subway. Well, I would think its a healthier choice than McDonald's but a sandwich is loaded with sodium.
  • colbiegirl
    colbiegirl Posts: 138
    Options
    If you eat that in particular, not so much. They have the Fresh Fit menu with lower calorie options if you follow it on 6 inch wheat or Italian. I usually get the Turkey Breast on toasted 9-grain wheat, American cheese, cucumbers, lettuce, tomato, onions, and oregano. It's filling and fast for 320 calories, and it's a nice treat when I've been good with my sodium on a Friday.

I wouldn't suggest getting a foot long every time you go and try to skip on the mayo if possible. And like everyone has said, sodium is a killer. It just takes moderation and some thought. :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had a 12" blackforest ham (I know ham is bad for salt but it's the only healthy $5 one!) with mustard, no cheese, spinach, cucumbers, tomatoes, pickles and onions. 580 calories, 10 grams of fiber (yay!), 30 grams of protein..... and 1460mg. But I then went on a bike ride and burned 1000+ and sweated about 2 gallons so the sodium is good for me under those circumstances.
  • Selly7749
    Selly7749 Posts: 48
    Options
    It's not the best choice in the world - but the whole point of my fitness pal is that you're making changes for life - and life includes treats! Try and keep your calories low on other meals, try and keep it as an infrequent occurrence, and get a good workout in today, and I'm sure it will be fine. Next time though, maybe a 6 inch, rather than a footlong? :)

I might treat myself to a subway some day next week. A Veggie patty. nomnomnom.