Weight lifting

Options
Anyone else like to lift over cardio? I can't seem to get into cardio

Replies

• Carla1962Shaw2015
    Options
    That's me! Hate cardio. Hate it hate it hate it!
  • MamaMenorca
    MamaMenorca Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I admit that I like my cardio. But I love lifting too. It may not be your favorite, but both have their benefits, so I wouldn't give it up. Have you tried doing different things? I hate running on a treadmill, but in the summer it is too hot to go outside and run at any time of day. In order to get through a 30 minute treadmill workout, I have to play games with myself; I combine sprints with a steady running, then sprinting again. Changing the elevation can also help. If you keep the intervals short, 1-2 minutes, it helps the time go faster. Another great way is to just combine a bunch of plyos like jumping jacks, butt kicks, high knees, jump squats, etc. This will get your heart rate up but you only do each one for a 1, rest for 30 seconds then move on and do a few rounds of that. It helps to keep from getting bored.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I lift seven days per week, with the occasional two-a-day. My idea of cardio is an hour walk with a weighted vest on. Screw running.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I don't have a lot of time to go to the gym, so I tend to reserve that time for lifting. Occasionally there are days when I just want to run- plug into Pandora & turn on the autopilot and not think for a while, but they're rare. When I am not using my time to lift I much prefer to be out hiking with my dog. With the North Jersey terrain & a pack I feel like I get a decent workout plus I enjoy it so it's a two for one. I actually plan my gym days for the days that look the crummiest on the forecast.
  • SciWhiz
    SciWhiz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I used to HATE cardio. Until I discovered Turbo Kick!! No more boring treadmill or elliptical for me. I was completely bummed I couldn't take the class last Monday because of the holiday. The weight started coming off after putting cardio into the mix instead of lifting every time I was at the gym.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Lifting for fun, cardio for necessity (and not much, at that).
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I despise cardio..but manage to do at least an hour a week..but as for lifting that comes in more like five times a week. It keeps me sane and focused.
  • halfninja2
    halfninja2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your goals. Right now, I am mainly working on gaining muscle/strength. I try to lift 4 days a week and do cardio on 2, with 1 rest day. Different muscle groups of course. When I was losing weight, I did almost all cardio and it worked (65 lbs lost). When I was at a good weight, I switched my focus to lifting (4 lift/2 cardio/1 rest). Some people say 6 days a week is too often, but my workouts are relatively short (30 to 45 min) but my intensity is pretty high.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Do both
  • Korbie82
    Korbie82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like lifting and have to admit I'm getting a bit board with the cardio though I know I need to include it in my overall program. I just try to insert 15min at the end of each lifting sessions and dedicate at 2 days of just cardio.
  • MyFitStatus
    MyFitStatus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lifting all the way! I throw in some cardio (Stairmaster usually) at the end of my workouts a few times a week but I usually use HIIT (high intensity interval training) type cardio because it is more effective for fat loss and quicker and less boring :smile:
  • PragatiV2016
    PragatiV2016 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like lifting too.... but had a lot of weight to lose...so cardio was a necessity...I do both
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I prefer cardio. Just the thought of lifting gives me the heebie jeebies.
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hate cardio.. I work on my feet and it doesnt take much cardio to remind my feet that they hate me
  • weightliftingbarbie
    Options
    Adore weightlifting hateee cardio!!
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I do both. Running is my first love, but lifting makes me a better runner and gives me a better body.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    I do both. Running is my first love, but lifting makes me a better runner and gives me a better body.

Yup. I like both but for different reasons. Running makes my head happy. Lifting makes my body happy.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I love lifting, hate cardio, but both are necessary for my body type
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I love both. Both love me in different ways. :smiley:
    My cardio is mostly cycling in beautiful countryside though.

My "gym"....

f63vezfng7y8.jpg