Diabetic

Options
Hi I found out I am diabetic so I have to be very careful of my sugar intake my levels are very high at the min so trying to get them down any tips or recipes would be great

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Hi I found out I am diabetic so I have to be very careful of my sugar intake my levels are very high at the min so trying to get them down any tips or recipes would be great

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group

Great group of folks for support, friendship and learning more about Diabetes. :)

Welcome to MFP!
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It's not quite the same but I had gestational diabetes with both of my pregnancies and I loved the Taste of Home diabetic cookbook. Tons of delicious and reasonably easy recipes in there, plus, all carb counts and pertinent nutrition information is listed with each recipe
  • ceciliabeattie
    ceciliabeattie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We're did u get the book
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    We're did u get the book

http://www.tasteofhome.com/
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution is a great guide for keeping blood glucose steadier and lowering insulin.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    My husband, pretty young at 35, was just diagnosed 2 months ago. Basically, he's started eating in the same way that I have been to lose weight/get good nutrition. That plus metformin has his sugars stable and in non-diabetic levels before and after meals, and he's lost weight. We have his macros set up for 45% carbs (broken up evenly between meals, complex over simple but not 100% of the time, sugars coming mostly from whole fruit), 20% protein, and the rest fat, with an emphasis on MUFAs.

He's been fitting in treats like banana bread and candy occasionally just by breaking up the carbs throughout the day and walking.

I am sure everyone is very different, of course. It's also so crazy to me how I started out about 130 pounds higher than his starting weight with no diabetes, and then he's the one who ends up with diabetes! He tested his blood sugar multiple times a day for a few weeks to see how different foods and meals and activity levels were affecting him. So, this is where we've started. So far, so good.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Did your doctor tell you to limit carbs to a certain amount?