Indian Food? What should I get?

I'm going to an Indian restaurant for dinner. What are my best bets so not to blow my week? I've never been. Thanks!

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Tandoori chicken, avoid the naan. Watch portion size with rice.

Or, do what I do and budget it into the week and have what you like. It's delicious and totally worth working in.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    I normally have prawn puri with no pancake but a poppadom and the onion salad.

Main, I have no rice or naan bread, I do however have another poppadum or two and a curry.

I often save half for my next meal, and ensure my option of curry is something I really fancy.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    I'd get peshwari naan and a salad. Indian food is all about naan bread to me so I wouldn't settle for anything else...lol, that may not be a help. Either way, enjoy your meal :)
  • xxxglaxxx
    xxxglaxxx Posts: 327 Member
    tandoori chicken with roti (whole wheat version of naan). Yummy!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    I simply cannot step away from shahi paneer or butter chicken WITH naan and rice.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    I'd use it for a cheat meal or work it into your macros especially since it's your first experience. You're in for a big treat! I always recommend butter chicken to everyone trying Indian food for the first time, but I also like chicken korma as well. Neither of those are spicy either. Enjoy!!
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    It depends what your current deficit for the week is, but I'd get whatever you want, and increase your deficit for a few days to even it out.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Indian food without rice or bread (rotti/naan) is like having pizza on cauliflower crust lol ;)

came here to say this haha.. you will fail to take the naan from my cold dead hands lol! OP I pick one or the other... so if I have naan I omit the rice or vice versa... or I will have half the naan just to feel like I had some. Personally I always have butter chicken with naan... and usually rice. haha
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Oh, I always get naan. I have a little rice, not much. I also have whatever curry I'm in the mood for. But when I was trying to actually fit my meal in a more restrictive calorie amount, no naan worked better.

Now I've realized that I'd just rather have Indian less often or on the weekend of a long run or bike ride (I've had it twice as a dinner the night before a half marathon) and eat whatever I want!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Samosas with mint chutney
    Chicken Tikka Masala or Butter Chicken
    Naan

It may wreck your calories but it it is totally worth it... I would shave a hundred or two hundred calories off the next few days to offset any overage you have.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    I don't care how many calories it has - I almost always get matar paneer! I may have to go out for Indian food this weekend...drooling thinking about it!
  • nancy3girls
    nancy3girls Posts: 32 Member
    Thanks-all! I ended up getting Reshmi Tikka. I asked for a healthy option. It was amazing! And yes I did splurge for Naan. I'm going to have to go back to try more of y'alls suggestions!
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Meh...I eat the butter chicken WITH the rice AND naan. Sometimes I even eat a pakora for an appetizer.

BEFORE going, I try to earn at least 50% of those calories through exercise....easy enough to do if you know a few days in advance
    AFTER going, I ramp up my exercise a bit....just to account for the extra calorie deliciousness.
    But ALWAYS I smile, knowing I enjoyed a fine meal with my partner or friends and one lovely meal need not throw me into a panic.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    I usually go vegetarian when in an Indian restaurant. They have many dishes featuring lentils or chickpeas as the main protein and you really don't miss the meat.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Indian food without rice or bread (rotti/naan) is like having pizza on cauliflower crust lol ;)

That's right!
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Mixed grill - anything grilled.

Everything else unfortunately is highly calorific (unless you cook it at home) but having said that, I splurged on Indian food yesterday and had Naan, Biryani, Lamb curry, poppadoms and a mixed grill. I will be burning it off over the next few weeks :p
  • nancy3girls
    nancy3girls Posts: 32 Member
    Thanks-all! I ended up getting Reshmi Tikka. I asked for a healthy option. It was amazing! And yes I did splurge for Naan. I'm going to have to go back to try more of y'alls suggestions!

Would love to know how they made it "healthy". Also by making something very ethnic healthy, you are not getting the full taste nor the experience. Sometimes it is worth to splurge once every now and then. ;)

Well, the chicken was marinated in yogurt. Haha! It was served on a very hot cast iron skillet with vegetables, lime, cilantro. It reminded me of fajitas only with a different spice flavor! My lips were burning! It was so delicious.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Butter chicken is my absolute favorite!!