Weightloss w/o time for exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• islandgirldl76
    islandgirldl76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Agree I was told 85% of weight loss is about calorie intake. Working out just tones everything. But I also find I eat more when I work out, my food cravings are insane. So I always gain weight when I go to the gym or work out. So I get fat when I work out lol So I focus on being active during the day, I clean a lot, chase after the kids, walk outside a bit, work in the yard. Practical stuff that keeps me moving but not so much that I get crazy hungry and binge on food. I don't do netflix binges, or play video games, I am always on the move.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I became a single mom when my boys were 2.5 yo and 15 months and it can be hard. I worked a very demanding job. They were first at daycare and last picked up, plus I was working on the computer after they went to bed. It can be tough. Mine are now grown.

I would echo what others have said about online workouts, they are free and available when you need them. As far as the gym membership, I paid for one for a long time without using it and just recently started going back. That being said, I should have canceled it as I hate wasted money but I knew I was going back. If I were in your position, I would cancel the membership and either find a gym with childcare or put the money into equipment for the house that I could use when I wanted.
  • mypeep
    mypeep Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You don't need exercise or "clean eating" to lose weight. All you need is a calorie deficit.

I agree. I started a high protein, low carb diet two months ago and have lost 25 lbs. I've had good success because of a reduction in my daily calories.

I can't exercise due medical problems. However, I keep active with household chores which prevents me from "sitting" all day.

You do not need a formal exercise program to lose weight, just a reduction in calories and a balanced diet.
  • jcsgirl86
    jcsgirl86 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have used https://www.fitnessblender.com/ and http://darebee.com/ for at home workouts or workouts when I travel. I especially like Darabee because I have found a lot of no equipment/body weight workouts to choose from. They are HIIT style workouts that get in your cardio and your strength simultaneously. I am currently not able to run/walk for cardio due to a hamstring injury but can jump rope. That is definitely a cardio workout and is something you can do at home too.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    While you don't have to have exercise to lose weight, it definitely helps with motivation and keeping me on track. I'm more likely to make unhealthy choices on my rest days.

I am a busy working full-time mom of two. I also own my own business. I would encourage you to find a way to exercise. Make it a priority. It's all about prioritizing, and if you move exercise (and a healthier you) up the priority list, you'll see better results.

Once you figure out what works for you, and you make it happen, it will become a habit. It's just what you do.

I get home from work at 5pm. Pick up my daughter from the gym at 5:30. Pick up my son from football at 6pm. Get to the gym (somehow) at 6:30pm. Done by 7:30pm. Then I'm eating, feeding family, working frantically with them on homework. rushing them to bed, getting ready for bed myself, and preparing for the next day. It's a lot, but it has become a habit and it's just what we do. At this point I don't think about it. I just go. Somehow I don't feel right if I don't.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You don't need exercise to lose weight or create a calorie deficit, but building muscle has helped ramp up my metabolism. For what it's worth, I burn more calories at rest now at a smaller size than I did a year ago when I weighed more, by increasing my muscle mass.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    If I were you I'd simply look into body weight training. If you don't have any equipment and can't afford any right now (although many chin-up bars/small weights are cheap) simply do push ups, incline push ups (you can do these on your kitchen counters), body weight squats, sit-ups, crunches, leg lifts, planks, etc. etc. You'd be surprised how high you can get your heart rate doing that stuff at home with little rest inbetween exercises. I use a machine (Bowflex M5) in the winter for 30 minutes then transition into body weight stuff. I know you said you didn't have a machine/treadmill or any money to get one right now, so maybe work through a routine of just the body weight stuff. I can easily burn 300-400 calories in 45 min to an hour with the routines I do, and I do them without weights. I do use a pull-up bar (https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Fitness-31011-Basic-Pullup/dp/B008DNAKQK/) that was around $20 at Wal-Mart and super simple to install. It helps with pull-ups and inverted rows. I also do incline push ups, and regular push ups as well. Give it a try, even without equipment, just call it circuit training and time yourself on most apps or even MFP and log it as cardio. If you push yourself the calorie burns will be fairly accurate.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I do workouts that 30 minutes or less. I try for a program that has a mix of strength and cardio.

I work out at home in the morning before anyone else wakes up M-F. Saturday I usually take a class at the YMCA, which includes childcare. I'm doing Beachbody On Demand workouts, but the local library has a ton of at home workout DVDs. You could borrow one and change it up every week or two. There are also lots of free workouts on YouTube.

Before I started waking up early, my workout time was right after I put my son to bed. He was in his bed, still kinda awake...but he knew that I was doing my workout.
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    You don't have to go to the gym or even leave your house to fit in exercise. There are so many good dvd's on market you can do in the comfort of your own home, or check out YouTube for free workouts like 30 day shred. Most of the dvd's are 1/2hr Max, so there really is no excuse not being able to do them.

Also, eating less than maintenance whether you exercise or not and you will lose weight.
  • mparker87
    mparker87 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have two kids, work full time and am also going back to school. It's sometimes hard to find time for it all. I drink slimfast shakes (or the generic versions) for breakfast because it's easier to grab one on my way out the door. I try to walk at least three times a week, even if I can only squeeze them in on the weekends. My doctor told me that a 30 minute walk gives you the same feeling as taking one dose of prozac. On days that I can't find time, I try to knock out 100 jumping jacks because I've read that each jumping jack burns close to 1 calorie. I usually try to do this on days I need a deficit.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is accomplished in the kitchen, while abs are accomplished in the gym - for me, I have lost over 100lbs since last October strictly by modifying my diet. I am a bit more active now than I was, but I still havent set foot in a gym, or watched a jump up and down DVD or anything like that. My exercise comes from living my life - walking, gardening, walking the dog, lugging things around, walking up and down stairs - just normal day to day stuff that sometimes works up a sweat. I just turned 60 yrs old, and I think I look pretty darn good at this point, but have a few more pounds to go.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Absolutely 95% of weight loss is done in the kitchen not the gym. You can lose weight without exercise. Exercise is good for you and can help you maintain muscle, but certainly isn't required. Just getting yourself in a calorie deficit is all you need.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    jmervine77 wrote: »
    So just wanted to see if anyone has any tips or success stories with this. I used to have a gym membership and tried to go a lot but life happens and it's hard. I'm a single mom who works full time monday thru friday plus my son just started kindergarten. We don't get home until 6 and its in bed by 8 for him. I'm also a full time student as well so my time and energy is spread pretty thin right now! I'm trying to do a diet of just cleaner eating- less carbs more protein and lots of fruits and veggies. Have cut out soda (except for rare treats). I started doing minor at home exercises such as squats, wall sits, lunges, small weights, etc but don't have much for cardio. As the weather cools down I'm going to try to start walking around the block with my son when we get home, but so much to do with only 2 hours until it's his bed time! With all of this said has anyone had any weightloss success from just a strict diet change? Also busy moms (or just busy people in general) what do you do for your workout?

This is most important if you are incorporating exercise as well. Is it good to eat more nutrient-dense foods? Yes. But until you can exercise, calories in are still calories in. The only option to losing weight without exercise is to be extremely strict with what you eat/drink, weigh and measure everything, and make sure you are eating at a deficit.
  • Missiz_B
    Missiz_B Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes...calorie deficit. If you're looking to tone up as well, there a lot of great workouts on YouTube you could look into. FitnessBlender channel being one of my favorites.

About a month ago I restarted P90X3 Workouts (lean calendar, 5x a week...I don't like working out on weekends). All those workouts are only 30 minutes.
    I get it done after I get home from dropping off my kindergartener to school, while I put my 18 mo old down for a nap.

As soon as you put your son down for the night you should make it priority to work out for at least 20-30 mins. Once you get into a routine, you'll easily make time for it.

Best of luck to you!
  • tbuttorff
    tbuttorff Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    YouTube has so many free workouts. I put my tot to bed by 8:00 and that is usually my time to do yoga or whatever exercise I'm doing that night. I have a hard time getting up early so this is the only time I have. I'd recommend that maybe when you schedule your homework time in the evenings for the week include this like a gym class.