Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should junk food be taxed?

Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    What's the debate here? Junk food is already taxed. It's a food tax.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The proposal (not mine) is that junk food (however defined) should be subject to an additional tax like alcohol or cigarettes or (in some places) prepared foods/restaurant foods.

I'm not aware of a "food tax," but some places exempt food (or many foods) from sales tax and some do not but have lower levels of tax. And some don't. But the proposal is an additional tax.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    It is the financial management skills of those who spend any taxes collected that concerns me after having watched their results for the past 40 years.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, is this now a general political thread?
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    No
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    No. Taxes are ridiculous and go to unnecessary things as it is. We don't need to be giving the government more excuses to tax us.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hopefully not
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Yes put tax on sugar products eg chocolate, fizzy juice etc. We as adults chose for ourselves what to eat but when doin shopping mums n dads have budgets they are goin to pick the cheaper stuff to feed their kids not there fault the food with high saturated fat etc is what is cheaper in supermarkets. It's sad day when bar of chocolate is cheaper than a bunch of apples. If a mum or dad gives kid 50p for shop there's nothing to buy healthy at that price for that price so they buy a sweetie instead. And it may cut down on over weight adults and kids.

Do you have some price examples showing a lower cost for a bar of chocolate vs a bunch of apples? Even if it is, is that really a valid comparison? If I buy a bunch of apples, I am buying fruit for my kids lunch for the week. If I am buying a chocolate bar, I am not expecting it to last more than one sitting. Therefore I expect to pay more for multiple servings of any food.

A more appropriate comparison would be if you had an example showing a single chocolate bar cheaper than a single apple.

It depends how large the chocolate bar is, whether I (not the Nutrition Facts) determine; if it's just 1 serving or not!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Yes put tax on sugar products eg chocolate, fizzy juice etc. We as adults chose for ourselves what to eat but when doin shopping mums n dads have budgets they are goin to pick the cheaper stuff to feed their kids not there fault the food with high saturated fat etc is what is cheaper in supermarkets. It's sad day when bar of chocolate is cheaper than a bunch of apples. If a mum or dad gives kid 50p for shop there's nothing to buy healthy at that price for that price so they buy a sweetie instead. And it may cut down on over weight adults and kids.

Do you have some price examples showing a lower cost for a bar of chocolate vs a bunch of apples? Even if it is, is that really a valid comparison? If I buy a bunch of apples, I am buying fruit for my kids lunch for the week. If I am buying a chocolate bar, I am not expecting it to last more than one sitting. Therefore I expect to pay more for multiple servings of any food.

A more appropriate comparison would be if you had an example showing a single chocolate bar cheaper than a single apple.

It depends how large the chocolate bar is, whether I (not the Nutrition Facts) determine; if it's just 1 serving or not!

While I agree that a chocolate bar may ultimately be divided into more than one serving (I often buy expensive dark chocolate bars with exotic flavors and break off a piece at a time to enjoy with my wine over several days), the comparison is still not apples to apples (pun intended).
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    Okay that was, the best ever intended pun!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    1 lb. Apples ~1.18 USD
    1 lb. Cocoa (unrefined) ~1.50 USD
    1 lb. Hershey's Chocolate (I went cheap) ~47.90 USD

Next...
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    1 lb. Apples ~1.18 USD

Next...

Forty eight dollars?
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    1 lb. Apples ~1.18 USD

Next...

Forty eight dollars?

I found another one on Amazon for 35 USD, hope it's not used.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    1 lb. Apples ~1.18 USD

Next...

Forty eight dollars?

Wow. Well, there you go. I thought I must be misreading...

This is in the UK?
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    1 lb. Apples ~1.18 USD

Next...

Forty eight dollars?

Uh...

A 6 pack of 1.55oz bars is $3.16 at Wal-Mart, so 1 lb would be $5.44. I've bought bars of chocolate that would go for $48/lb, but they're a lot more awesome than Hershey's ;)
  • sfcrocker
    sfcrocker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    California tried this about 10-15 years ago and it was a disaster. They essentially said that sales tax had to be paid on "snacks" but not "food". If you bought a Hershey milk chocolate bar at the checkout counter it was taxable but if you bought a Hershey's milk chocolate BAKING bar it wasn't taxable. Then, various groups of people argued over what and wasn't a "snack". For example, granola bars were breakfast for some people but snacks for others. They finally dropped the whole thing because it was logistically impossible to enforce.
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    1 lb. Apples ~1.18 USD

Next...

Forty eight dollars?

Wow. Well, there you go. I thought I must be misreading...

This is in the UK?

Yes - US distribution - price online varies between 25-55 USD.