Don't feel like eating

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I know you got the message but I just thought I'd throw in for any undereaters following this that I'd hate for you to find out six weeks later the consequences means your hair falls out. It takes about that long for the consequences to make themselves known.

We see this principle of just enough-not too much in daily life all the time. We don't put twice the soap in the dishwasher to make it go faster. Ditto for the washing machine. We put the recommended spread of fertilizer on our lawns. Putting twice as much does not reap us a greener lawn.

If you have a low calorie day end it with a high protein, high fat snack. Nuts, hikers mix, ice cream or cheese.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    rebaisett wrote: »
    The past 2 weeks I have been drinking nothing but water. Could that be the problem? I am drinking well over the 64oz recommended amount. Is that why I don't want to eat? Am I drinking too much?

I don't know much water you are drinking, but keep in mind you can injure your body if you over-hydrate.

http://www.healthline.com/health/overhydration#Overview1

Good luck, wishing you well as you sort everything out.

• rebaisett
    rebaisett Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I know you got the message but I just thought I'd throw in for any undereaters following this that I'd hate for you to find out six weeks later the consequences means your hair falls out. It takes about that long for the consequences to make themselves known.

We see this principle of just enough-not too much in daily life all the time. We don't put twice the soap in the dishwasher to make it go faster. Ditto for the washing machine. We put the recommended spread of fertilizer on our lawns. Putting twice as much does not reap us a greener lawn.

If you have a low calorie day end it with a high protein, high fat snack. Nuts, hikers mix, ice cream or cheese.

Absolutely. It's starts with my acknowledgement of what I am doing. Now I just have to learn to change my mindset :)
  • rebaisett
    Options
    PennWalker wrote: »
    The past 2 weeks I have been drinking nothing but water. Could that be the problem? I am drinking well over the 64oz recommended amount. Is that why I don't want to eat? Am I drinking too much?

I don't know much water you are drinking, but keep in mind you can injure your body if you over-hydrate.

Thank you, going to read it now :)
  • rebaisett
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Well, you know what you need to do to lose weight...establish a deficit and don't be too extreme in your deficit. From that you know how much food you need to eat, so try to eat that amount of food. If the approach you choose to take to reach that amount of food is overly difficult, then change your approach.

If your issue is not being able to reach your calorie goal (undereating) then you can either change the types of foods you are eating to include foods that are higher in calories relative to satiation (like changing from lentils to white rice or include more treats like icecream or pizza).

You have identified that you are drinking more water than the recommended amount...may I ask why you are doing that given that it is both hard for you to do and you recognize it is not recommended?

I think subconsciously I want to lose the weight faster so I figure hey drink more water, eat less and I will lose it faster. Apparently not lol

That's not a healthy mindset to get into, you know that

You are absolutely right.

So you recognize it. You know what you need to do. You post on here so I think that there is probably one thing you are looking for.

<hug> you can do it.

Be good to yourself, you don't need to punish yourself through your eating for past transgressions. Find a place that is comfortable for you with your food and allows you to be in deficit and stick with it. Don't do something that requires you to lie to yourself or makes you overly uncomfortable.

Seriously made me want to cry. Thank you!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Also remember that food provides the energy (calories) for you to function...you need energy...you don't need to overfill the tank or even fill it up all of the way, but you need energy...if you were a car you wouldn't go too far with no gas right?

MFP gives you your target to hit based on the fact that you need to balance weight loss objectives with also fueling your body and providing adequate nutrition...always going under is not going to provide your body with the energy it needs to just keep up with mere existence...lungs working properly...heart pumping, brain working, etc...all of your existence functions require a crap ton of energy (calories) and you have to fuel that.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Our relationship with food is the true problem and excess weight is the product of that. One of the main differences between someone overweight and not-overweight is that don't constantly worry about what they're eating and when they're eating. It's just food and food is something to enjoy and nourish our bodies with. We have the power and the ability to be in full control of our eating but we give it up when don't feel like we're "good enough". So we demonize food and call it "junk" call eating a pizza a "cheat meal" which reinforces the notion it's bad. So when deprive ourselves of the foods we love it eventually catches up with us and we fall off the wagon. We've given up control and choice and when this happens. We feel shame and guilt because it's like feels we just slept with the devil. It doesn't have to be this way.
    You are already good enough and always have been. You have the power to eat what you like and still lose weight. Usually I say it's always best to listen to your body. If your body says eat you eat if one day you're less hungry, eat less. But it sounds like this emotion talking to you and not your instinct. I pray you heel inside and truly know how awesome you are. I believe from my experience the transformation happens on the inside before it can permanently happen on the outside.
    This is a long journey and there's no short cut for lifelong results. So be confident in your plan and believe in you.

• Farrell73
    Farrell73 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    64 oz is not that much water! You need to drink half your bodyweight in ounces. So if you weigh 200 pounds you need to drink 100 ounces
  • concrete_daisies
    concrete_daisies Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    No I haven't slowed down on water yet today. No medical conditions. Started 2 weeks ago.

For what it is worth, I had the same difficulty when I started calorie counting 7 weeks ago. The first week I didn't really think about what I ate, just logged it and came a little under. The second week I actually made an effort to eat healthy, and ended up having to fudge a few diary entries so that MFP didn't show me all that angry red writing. I had set my count to 1200 (which is on the extreme side of reasonable for my weight), but my biggest problem was that I wasn't eating back my exercise calories. I legitimately wasn't hungry, but I was working out every day and that adds up.

BOY DID THAT HIT ME IN WEEK 3. I was hungry and super-cold the entire week. It was winter, but at one point I was wearing two merinos and a coat while my co-worker stood beside me in a t-shirt. Also, I was super snappy and sarcastic at someone who was more senior than me at work. He totally had it coming, and I'm glad I called him out, but yeah. I was super irritable.

After that week I decided that eating back my exercise calories wasn't optional. Funnily enough, I haven't had trouble since - my body decided it wants those extra calories after all. But even eating slightly above my goal, it took me about a month to stop being so unreasonably cold, and now I'm a bit hesitant to restrict what I am eating. Constant chills was not fun.

Not sure what the point of this rant was, just thought I'd share my story. I wasn't trying to be unhealthy, I think when you start losing weight it is easy to get a little carried away before your body catches up with you.

:smile:

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I see some great answers up above and I agree with most of them.

Being honest with yourself is probably one of the largest hurdles to overcome when starting on this journey. I have absolute confidence that you have the mindset to do this. So follow what the app gives you and try to be as accurate as possible. Have faith in the process because we have faith in you :).
  • rebaisett
    Options
    Russellb97 wrote: »
    Our relationship with food is the true problem and excess weight is the product of that. One of the main differences between someone overweight and not-overweight is that don't constantly worry about what they're eating and when they're eating. It's just food and food is something to enjoy and nourish our bodies with. We have the power and the ability to be in full control of our eating but we give it up when don't feel like we're "good enough". So we demonize food and call it "junk" call eating a pizza a "cheat meal" which reinforces the notion it's bad. So when deprive ourselves of the foods we love it eventually catches up with us and we fall off the wagon. We've given up control and choice and when this happens. We feel shame and guilt because it's like feels we just slept with the devil. It doesn't have to be this way.
    You are already good enough and always have been. You have the power to eat what you like and still lose weight. Usually I say it's always best to listen to your body. If your body says eat you eat if one day you're less hungry, eat less. But it sounds like this emotion talking to you and not your instinct. I pray you heel inside and truly know how awesome you are. I believe from my experience the transformation happens on the inside before it can permanently happen on the outside.
    This is a long journey and there's no short cut for lifelong results. So be confident in your plan and believe in you.

You just got into my heart, ty!
  • rebaisett
    Options
    You guys are awesome! I needed this so bad. Was so afraid to say anything. I am so glad I did. Thank you
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    When we neglect to drink enough water we tend to decipher thirst as hunger and eat instead of drink. ( for those who need ten miles of fine print: This may not be true for every man, woman, child, and creature in every corner of the whole wide world. It is true for some. If it is not true for you or anyone you know feel free to keep moving!) Anyhoo, when we get back to drinking the water we need it can dampen the appetite. Now, the "recommended" water intake comes from food and any beverages you drink. The recommended intake varies between people. You activity level, how much you weigh and other factors determine your hydration needs. It seems there was a formula somewhere for determining this but I don't have it at my immediate disposal. If I can dig it up I will post it.

Now about your diet. What changes did you make? I find that the more carbohydrates I have the hungrier I am, the less carbohydrates I have the less hungry I am. They drive my appetite depending on my intake. Just a thought in case it applies.

As far as do I have to force myself to eat some days? Yep. Yesterday was one of those days. Sometimes my appetite just vanishes and the sight of food just repulses me. If I am stressed or have any emotional thing going on I will lose my appetite also. There are emotional eaters or stress eaters, I am the opposite. I find it difficult to advise force feeding. I don't think it helps me at all. I hope you can get to the bottom of it though.

I'm so utterly jealous of you right now. When I get stressed to the breaking point, I eat absolutely everything.

Everything.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm not an expert - so please don't take this as gospel - but for the past three days, I've come home from work and not really wanted to eat anything 'heavy'. I haven't wanted to eat a cooked evening meal, instead I've been craving oatmeal and crackers. Not the most vitamin- filled evening dinners but it's what I felt like having and so I had it. There are days when I want to eat steaks and potatoes and there are days when I want cereal for dinner. I'd say go with what your body is telling you and be mindful of it. If you are constantly coming home and not wanting to eat, I'd say you may need to explore a little further - but a few days of not much appetite isn't something to be hugely concerned about at this point (In my opinion).
  • rebaisett
    Options
    I'm not an expert - so please don't take this as gospel - but for the past three days, I've come home from work and not really wanted to eat anything 'heavy'. I haven't wanted to eat a cooked evening meal, instead I've been craving oatmeal and crackers. Not the most vitamin- filled evening dinners but it's what I felt like having and so I had it. There are days when I want to eat steaks and potatoes and there are days when I want cereal for dinner. I'd say go with what your body is telling you and be mindful of it. If you are constantly coming home and not wanting to eat, I'd say you may need to explore a little further - but a few days of not much appetite isn't something to be hugely concerned about at this point (In my opinion).

After this post and reading all the wonderful comments I sat down on my bed and prayed. Yep I sure did. I am not going to "try" to do better, I AM going to do better. I am so incredibly lucky to have so much support through this endeavor. I know that's why I will be successful. I am changing my mindset. This is a new me :)
  • rebaisett
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I see some great answers up above and I agree with most of them.

Being honest with yourself is probably one of the largest hurdles to overcome when starting on this journey. I have absolute confidence that you have the mindset to do this. So follow what the app gives you and try to be as accurate as possible. Have faith in the process because we have faith in you :).

Appreciate that, ty :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It's usually my hormones and depression that make me feel that way.. but it doesn't usually last. Honestly when it happens I just bank the calories because I know that I'll eat more at some point anyway and it will all balance out!
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    you may want to try swapping out some of your diet/lowfat items (baked chips, yogurt) for the regular versions so you can eat the same volume and get more calories.

This works really well for me: eg. whole milk & real butter

Yeah, I don't do low-fat stuff anymore. A smaller amount of the full bore stuff helps enormously with satiety for me.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,997 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    PennWalker wrote: »

You've gotten some great comments from others about what you are eating. I will say, that I have days like you where I don't feel like eating too, but you already got some great recommendations on what to do.

I just wanted to set something straight with the water drinking since 'overhydration' was brought up. If you are drinking up to about 100 oz of water a day / 12.5 cups of water (which could be considered by some as 'way over the recommended 64 oz'), you are probably still not in trouble of overhydration. You may not be in trouble at even higher amounts within reason for your gender, body weight, etc.

Overhydration is when you get too much water into your system which then leads to a sodium imbalance which is called hyponatremia. This imbalance can lead to very serious issues and even death if severe enough; however, drinking some extra water each day over the 64 oz recommendation probably isn't going to get you there. Many sources note that hyponatremia is primarily a problem for (novice/recreational) marathon runners and triathletes, and since most of the water consumption recommendations were originally developed for elite athletes in these sports (4oz - 8oz of water 3-4 times per hour), they may be too high for the novice who run at a slower pace and are on the course for longer. Others at risk of hyponatremia are people training/working out in seriously hot weather (think football camps, summer sports races). Drinking more water than your body can process (which averages to be about 20 oz of water/hour for your intestines to process and about the same amount for your kidneys to flush if you are female) is the biggest cause for your body to retain the water and can lead to hyponatremia. So in a 15 hour day that would be over 300 oz of water. **Note: the GA football player who died in 2014 of overhydration had drank 4 gallons of water and gatorade (that's 512 oz or 64 cups), significantly more than the recommended 8 cups/64 oz.
    https://runnersconnect.net/running-nutrition-articles/overhydration-dangers-drinking-too-much-water-while-running/

So, unless you are drinking well over 5 x the recommendation of 64oz, you are probably not in immediate danger of overhydration given the information on what your body can process. Of course, we're all different, and you have to know what is best for you. For me personally, I have to have at least the 64 oz recommended, and feel that I get some of my best weight loss results from being more in the 80-96 oz range. Though I do spend a lot of time in the bathroom when I'm drinking that much. There are a lot of benefits to drinking more water, especially for weight loss, flushing toxins, keeping headaches at bay, etc. So don't be scared into drinking too much water, but also don't be scared into drinking too little with this talk of overhydration. Like everything else, it's about balance and what is best for you.

**Edited to correct the amount of water/gatorade consumed by the GA football player who died of overhydration. First article I read said 7 gallons, which was in my original post. Other news articles stated 4 gallons (2 gallons of water and 2 gallons of gatorade).