Training for my first century ride!

Options
fajeeta
fajeeta Posts: 52 Member
edited September 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi, all! Riding my first century in three weeks. Anyone have any cycling tips/ nutrition tips for endurance rides? Tips for sore knees?
Cheers

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sore knees - rest primarily!

Last week before your ride have an easy week to ensure your legs are fresh and rested on the day. Have you been following a training plan or just steadily increasing mileage?

Nutrition tip - don't do things differently on the day compared to how you have done your long training rides. More isn't always better, I felt awful for first two hours on my first century because I went for the more must be better approach to eating.
    How have you been fuelling your long rides?

Organised event or solo effort?

Looking for a fast time or just to complete the distance and enjoy it?
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    start slow, save the energy for the last 20% of the ride, stay on the bike! sore knees shouldn't really have to happen if you have the right fit and if your cleats are dialled in ok. nevertheless, don't mash, spin.
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    What's your longest distance to date?
    Are you riding hills or flat?
    Have you planned your on bike nutrition?
    Is your bike serviced?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,910 Member
    Options
    fajeeta wrote: »
    Hi, all! Riding my first century in three weeks. Anyone have any cycling tips/ nutrition tips for endurance rides? Tips for sore knees?
    Cheers

Sore knees ... make sure your bicycle is set up correctly!!

• Machka9
    edited September 2016
    Options
    pdm3547 wrote: »
    Is your bike serviced?

Yes ... this ^^

For us to give you (OP) a meaningful answer, we need more information to work with.
  • Machka9
    Options
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Assuming no problem with fit, are you grinding? What's your typical cadence? On flats/climbs. I get discomforts when doing strength intervals, low cadence with big gear. Same after leg speed work (20 min @120+ rpm). Goes away after a day of rest or light work.

Consider tampering, cut back on intensity and duration, starting the week before or the week of. Not stopping completely but at 70-80%. Any work you do now and upto the event is not going increase you fitness much but being fatigued will definitely impact it. It'll also give your knees time to recover.

Eat something every hour and drink as needed. Have Tums for cramps and ibuprofen for inflammation. Good luck.
  • Roadie_Cyclist
    Roadie_Cyclist Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sore knees could be due to a saddle that's too low or cleats that are off centre. Make sure you eat every hour, my favourite is a handful of dried dates, they got me through a 300k audax
  • daweasel
    daweasel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Sore knees - as others have said, check your setup (saddle height and cleat position). Also, if you can, use an easier gear and spin more (try to keep your cadence 85+, on hills...well whatever gets you up them lol).

Food-wise, general nutritional guidelines are 30-60g of carbs/hour. If you're going easier or a smaller person you can stick towards the lower end, if you're bigger or going hard go for more like 60. Not sure whether you mean a metric century or imperial, but either way, it's a fairly long time in the saddle. You're better off eating smaller amounts every 30-60min than waiting until you suddenly hit the wall. It'll keep your energy up and you'll feel a lot better! Make sure you're taking in sufficient water as well, or your body can't do anything with the carbs. And don't try something like energy gels for the first time during an event, you need to make sure your body can handle them or you'll feel really, really sick. Good snacks are things like fruit (especially bananas, many people find, because they're a lot of glucose not fructose), dried fruit, lollies, muesli bars...I like to make jam sandwiches and cut them in half. Avoid anything with too much fat or fibre. Ideally, you would have been training with the same things you plan to eat during your event.
  • gojaqs
    gojaqs Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I rode in my first century last weekend.

Make sure your bike is in top condition. If you have it tuned up, and you should, check that nothing has been overlooked.
    Bring manageable food -protein and eat ever hour
    Don't wear anything new - shoes, clothing, etc.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    gojaqs wrote: »

Make sure your bike is in top condition. If you have it tuned up, and you should, check that nothing has been overlooked.
    Not protein - carbs and lots of them.

(Well done on your first century though!)
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    A lot of the above information is spot on

I have done 22 centuries+ this year...did one today....sugar...you want sugar, protein in moderation is fine but your body needs quick easy to digest energy. BUT...if you eat a lot you need more water. The more food in your stomach the more you body pulls water to digest it. Eat nothing new ride day unless you are desperate but make sure you drink water the more sugar/food you eat. If you are mostly drinking Gatorade water is not as important. You do not need to over eat...200 calories an hour is enough...300 is you are bigger.

Go easy as someone said for the two hours or so...miles 80 to 100 is where you find out if you paced correctly ;)

Also seriously get your bike totally checked out, it is a huge mistake when you get flats because your tires have cuts in them or it wont shift because your cables are shot. Take it in a WEEK ahead get it turned up and then ride it around. I see this kind of stuff in 10-20 riders on all the organized rides I do...

I would also recommend some body glide...in the end you will be uncomfortable no matter what. Little things make a huge difference.

• fajeeta
    Options
    Update on my training. Sooooo...I'm a mountain biker typically. Tried a technical black section, fell in a crevice, and been spending the last two weeks with a sprained foot. *bows* Thank you. Please, hold the applause. :p

The way I see it, this just gives me more time to train. Especially since snow is setting in soon. I'm thinking I'll ride my fatty and use my bike trainer now.

So...thank you all for the input! Responses following...

Can I just say I'm more excited than ever?!
  • fajeeta
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Sore knees - rest primarily!

Last week before your ride have an easy week to ensure your legs are fresh and rested on the day. Have you been following a training plan or just steadily increasing mileage?

Nutrition tip - don't do things differently on the day compared to how you have done your long training rides. More isn't always better, I felt awful for first two hours on my first century because I went for the more must be better approach to eating.
    How have you been fuelling your long rides?

Organised event or solo effort?

Looking for a fast time or just to complete the distance and enjoy it?

Up till now, I've just been increasing distance on the weekends. I try to ride a little longer each time. I may check into actual training plans now that I have till Spring. That should give me loads of time! Got any favorite sites/plans??

As far as fuel, I'm a noob. I eat oatmeal and fruit in the morning (with a couple of cups of coffee), chicken or fish and salad for lunch, and nights whatever I cook for the family. Kinda anything goes. Sometimes I remember to make a protein drink before I go to bed. On longer rides I break up a food bar and munch on that every fifteen or twenty minutes. Whenever I want a drink I pop a bite in, as well. I hate the gel packets. Almost puked in a bush when I tried one. Satan's snot. No, thanks.

I'm going for organized rides. Love the camaraderie.

And I really was just setting my sights on completing the ride. Course, I'm totally fooling myself. When I get on my bike, I get pretty competitive, pretty quick. I should probably just face the fact that I'll want to ride decently fast. ;)

• fajeeta
    Options
    pdm3547 wrote: »
    Is your bike serviced?

Longest ride to date: 65 miles on a cross bike. Felt pretty good after, except for sore knees and a sore butt. Bought a different saddle for that sucker.
    It's all hills. I live in the mountains. There's no flat to be found. ;)
    Steepest grade I've ridden: 23%. Thought I was going to die (That was mountain biking). Most grades around here are around 4-6%. Pretty doable, but I gotta say, I'm slow. I was 20 miles into a ride, about half a mile up a steady climb, when this probably 80 year old woman blew past me wearing bright blue daisy tights. Very humbling.
    Absolutely have not planned my bike nutrition. I'm so wide open to any insights!!!
    Bike is super serviced and I'm pretty ocd about keeping it that way. I have no interest in losing my brakes around here.
  • fajeeta
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »
    Assuming no problem with fit, are you grinding? What's your typical cadence? On flats/climbs. I get discomforts when doing strength intervals, low cadence with big gear. Same after leg speed work (20 min @120+ rpm). Goes away after a day of rest or light work.

Consider tampering, cut back on intensity and duration, starting the week before or the week of. Not stopping completely but at 70-80%. Any work you do now and upto the event is not going increase you fitness much but being fatigued will definitely impact it. It'll also give your knees time to recover.

Eat something every hour and drink as needed. Have Tums for cramps and ibuprofen for inflammation. Good luck.

Now you're really about to find out how new to road cycling I am.

When I mountain bike, I have no clue as to cadence. It's more about when to push to make it over rocks, up stuff, and how fast can I take that downhill or curve. I'm pretty adept at gears and gauging my effort. How do you gauge cadence on a road bike? Do I need to install one of those little bike computers? Is there a way to count or time it? I use Strava. Will that give an idea of cadence?

Tums?! Never even thought of that. Excellent. I'm trying that this weekend. Also didn't think about ibuprofen. May pop a few before the ride even starts.
  • fajeeta
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Sore knees could be due to a saddle that's too low or cleats that are off centre. Make sure you eat every hour, my favourite is a handful of dried dates, they got me through a 300k audax

Saddle's been checked, but maybe it's my cleats. I'll visit the bike shop. Ty

Dried dates? And that doesn't affect...your intestines? o_O

300k. *bows* Awesome.
  • fajeeta
    Options
    daweasel wrote: »
    Sore knees - as others have said, check your setup (saddle height and cleat position). Also, if you can, use an easier gear and spin more (try to keep your cadence 85+, on hills...well whatever gets you up them lol).

Food-wise, general nutritional guidelines are 30-60g of carbs/hour. If you're going easier or a smaller person you can stick towards the lower end, if you're bigger or going hard go for more like 60. Not sure whether you mean a metric century or imperial, but either way, it's a fairly long time in the saddle. You're better off eating smaller amounts every 30-60min than waiting until you suddenly hit the wall. It'll keep your energy up and you'll feel a lot better! Make sure you're taking in sufficient water as well, or your body can't do anything with the carbs. And don't try something like energy gels for the first time during an event, you need to make sure your body can handle them or you'll feel really, really sick. Good snacks are things like fruit (especially bananas, many people find, because they're a lot of glucose not fructose), dried fruit, lollies, muesli bars...I like to make jam sandwiches and cut them in half. Avoid anything with too much fat or fibre. Ideally, you would have been training with the same things you plan to eat during your event.

Lol. I love the "on hills...whatever gets you up them." I'm thinking a lasso around the strongest rider in front of me? Tow, anyone? lol

Excellent food tips. And yep, no gels for me. Tried one and almost fertilized a bush. Yeah, no. Been using muesli bars. I'll throw some dried banana in the pack. Ty
  • fajeeta
    Options
    gojaqs wrote: »

Congrats on your first century!!! What did you think? Can I ask how long you rode??
  • fajeeta
    Options
    jlklem wrote: »
    A lot of the above information is spot on

I have done 22 centuries+ this year...did one today....sugar...you want sugar, protein in moderation is fine but your body needs quick easy to digest energy. BUT...if you eat a lot you need more water. The more food in your stomach the more you body pulls water to digest it. Eat nothing new ride day unless you are desperate but make sure you drink water the more sugar/food you eat. If you are mostly drinking Gatorade water is not as important. You do not need to over eat...200 calories an hour is enough...300 is you are bigger.

Go easy as someone said for the two hours or so...miles 80 to 100 is where you find out if you paced correctly ;)

Also seriously get your bike totally checked out, it is a huge mistake when you get flats because your tires have cuts in them or it wont shift because your cables are shot. Take it in a WEEK ahead get it turned up and then ride it around. I see this kind of stuff in 10-20 riders on all the organized rides I do...

I would also recommend some body glide...in the end you will be uncomfortable no matter what. Little things make a huge difference.

22 centuries this year. Oh, holy crap. I feel like a kindergartner.

Excellent nutrition tips! If I drink Gatorade, I don't need to eat at all, potentially? I don't like to eat while I ride. I'm on the smaller side.

Starting to work on pacing. Definitely gotta play with it more, because by the time I hit mile 60, I want to find a soft spot on the side of the road and nap. Yep. You go right ahead and laugh.

Will do on the bike. And body glide. Never tried that. I'll take any help there is! Thx for the input!