Compulsive Eater needing help...

Options
Hi. I'm a compulsive eater. I've never actually put that out in the universe... Feels really strange. But here I am. The jig is up. I'm ok until about 8 pm and then I find myself eating constantly. I can't stop. I'm not hungry but I'm like a bottomless pit, unable to feel fulfilled. I try and control it, but then it just consumes my mind. Yes, I realize this is an addiction. Yes, I should probably be researching shrinks rather than crafting this post... But I'm just wondering if any of you have had this issue and beat it?

Replies

• CameronKinder
    CameronKinder Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What are you eating after 8p that does not satisfy you? Maybe you are missing something?? Try eating more protein. Boiled egg or beef jerky. See if that fills you up?
  • hgrace78
    hgrace78 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It's not really what I'm eating because it doesn't really matter. It's a compulsion, so as soon as I finish one thing, I'm thinking about the next.
  • samvanz
    samvanz Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. I found the book 'If Not Dieting Then What' really useful in stepping back from the moment and figuring out what's actually happening, being able to articulate what you're thinking and interrupt it.

Go well, good luck! x
  • campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I seem to have an addiction/compulsive disorder. It's kind of weird though, because since being on this site, my addiction/compulsion is logging my food and making sure I have all my steps in for the day. My addiction to food is very multi-faceted, but part of it is "tasting" food. Sometimes I get stuck on one flavor, like teriyaki or vanilla and I can't get enough no matter how full I feel, but sometimes it's not specific, it's a need to keep tasting something. Sometimes that compulsion will strike while I'm eating something and suddenly I feel this ravenous feeling like I have got to stuff myself as quickly as I can to satisfy this craving that is driving me crazy. I've always wondered if I'm the only person in the world that has these crazy feelings or if others do too and no one talks about it????
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I think I am too, but in the day. I wish I could help but I don't know how to stop it
  • jonnucke
    jonnucke Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, At about 8-9 when ever the kids get to bed im like ravenous. not even hungry just eating. if i have had a bad day, or if i have had a good day. once i can finally relax its like i should have been a competitive eater or something.
  • RaptorMommy
    RaptorMommy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've been sabotaging my workout efforts for over a month now with binge eating. I'm getting in touch with a nutritionist because I hate myself for it, which causes another episode, which makes me spiral into a hate/binge/hate/binge cycle. If anyone finds any leads on a support group for this, please let me know. I've tried to "just stop" and it's not that simple. I feel powerless. I'd love a positive support group!
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    sounds blunt but I just stopped. after a while of forcing myself not to, I stopped needing to do it. it's very much a habit - if I start snacking at night I start feeling the need to again even if I'm not hungry, so I try to avoid it unless I know I really didn't eat enough that day; if that's the case it's something I need, not oreos.

Great for you! It may be a little more difficult for others.
  • lillielocklear5
    Options
    I have this same problem I eat to console or comfort myself sometimes when I'm really stressed out and last night was one of those nights well actually all afternoon yesterday too it's like I either do really good or really bad there's no cheat meal because when I start it lasts all day and sometimes into the next day too
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    LazSommer wrote: »
    sounds blunt but I just stopped. after a while of forcing myself not to, I stopped needing to do it. it's very much a habit - if I start snacking at night I start feeling the need to again even if I'm not hungry, so I try to avoid it unless I know I really didn't eat enough that day; if that's the case it's something I need, not oreos.

Great for you! It may be a little more difficult for others.

I didn't say it was easy.
  • hgrace78
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, everyone! It's very heartening to know there are others like me on here. I do have generalized anxiety disorder and I think I use the taste of food as a distraction. It's something to concentrate on instead of whatever is freaking me out. A maladaptive coping mechanism. And I've been through all kinds of therapy to treat my anxiety. I've learned mindfulness, meditation, anything you can imagine, I've been there. But, I'm too arrogant to let it work.. I think I'm smarter than all that. I mean... I put myself through hell working out and then completely sabotage it with thousands and thousands of calories that night. I'm so brilliant! And I can only imagine the damage I'm doing to my organs (heart, liver, etc). But no matter how much I tell myself this, I still do it. I can only liken it to a drug addiction of some kind.
  • Nathanae
    Nathanae Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Often I do feel full after a while but that doesn't register as "so you can stop eating now" in my head. Today while I was doing the dishes I kept eating the entire time (sweets, mostly. I try to be good and go with "saying "no" once in the supermarket is easier than saying "no" one chocolate at a time", but somehow you ALWAYS end up with stuff to eat in your pantry. Even if it's just spoons full of honey and linseed. I do get "creative" during binges.) I didn't do this as much for a while when I started using this website and lost a lot of weight and was motivated, but now I'm trying to maintain and don't have a goal to keep me on track it's getting worse again, the binges getting quite regular and counting calories starts to feel pointless. But I'm already starting to gain again. And also worry about the psychological side of things. I am obsessed with food and think about calories and nutrition all the effing time, when am I allowed to eat again and what and how much... but lately I feel sort-of confused right now and unsure about how many is the right amount and how to fill them properly and what is healthy for me and what not - I'm scared of gaining weight again.... but these binges and my general loss of direction is making it even more difficult to stop myself during binges!
  • KJGI
    KJGI Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It is such a mind game. For me, it's an addiction almost impossible to escape because you have to have food to survive, so you can't remove the food from your life, so it is just a constant struggle. I feel like mine has to do with something in my brain because mood, stress, time of day, none of that is what drives this addiction. Every other aspect of my life is controlled & normal, except for this, never feeling full always feeling like I'm starving and perpetually being on a diet, and always thinking about it. It's a lifelong struggle, I've been thin, I am now super fat, and have been everywhere else in between. I've tried it all, exercising, weight watchers, nurtisystem, a nutritionist, 21 day fix, P90X, kickboxing, no carbs, cabbage diet, but nothing really helped me lose substantial weight no matter how strict I was with it, so then I fall back into this struggle. The only thing that worked was several years ago I took a diet pill that had undeclared sibutramine in it, which was a weightloss Rx years ago but got pulled from the market. I lost 40lbs. This pill instantly turned off that need & feeling to constantly eat or always feeling hungry, but it got pulled off the market. Since then I've gained over 65lbs back. I need to find a permanent solution, I've wasted so much time and worry on this food addiction & weight gain.
  • timothy0509
    timothy0509 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with the very same thing. I know it's an addiction. It's become my way of dealing with emotions. I know 'how to' eat right. But I just can't. The worse I eat, the more self-critical I become which causes more anxiety/depression and I eat to calm or numb the feelings. I found a more compassionate approach here https://growinghumankindness.com that I've started to adopt. I try to be more patient with myself and realize my overeating stems from an emotional need and that to change the way I eat I need to heal my relationship with food first. I also found the book "Weakness is not a Sin" helpful as well as listening to podcasts about using the 12 Steps from Overeaters Anonymous https://oa.org/newcomers/how-do-i-start/program-basics/twelve-steps/ I haven't join this group yet figuring I could do the program on my own. But I keep relapsing and am starting to see I need some sort of support group. However these resources have been very helpful for me. I've also found it helpful to get up early and walk/ exercise first thing and then to go to bed early in the evening. I'm less likely to give in in the morning than when I'm tired in the evening. I hope this helps. I appreciate everyones' thoughts. It's nice to know I'm not alone.
  • hgrace78
    Options
    Lady, you may have clinical depression.
    Dude, it's not clinical depression... I've been clinically depressed before and this isn't it. But, thank you for your unhelpful insight.
  • Emmalovestorun
    Emmalovestorun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    For weeks and weeks I'd go upto bed taking item after item, the more I ate the more I wanted, I wasn't even hungry. One day I literally said to myself, you can't keep doing this, your slowly killing yourself. Now I just simply don't do it anymore, I have written myself signs too which definitely help and make me think twice if I'm thinking of going off track. A lot of it is habit and a cycle you need to break and the other is will power, and being able to say no when everything around you is saying yes
  • b1gwillystyle
    b1gwillystyle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Anyone struggling with this may want to try intermittent fasting. I'm not saying this will absolutely work but it's worth trying something new. It has DRASTICALLY helped me with my compulsion to eat at night time.